Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coming Soon in Canada: Gas Stations With Climate-Change Warnings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Such a great idea-deserves it's own thread...advocacy action kit here: Advocacy Action Kit : Our Horizon Let's all join in!

Like cigarette warning labels, but for fuel

lead_960.png

Some Canadian Gas-Station Nozzles Will Soon Have Climate-Change Warning Labels - The Atlantic

Bravo and congratulations Rob!

I'm not sure of timelines, but here is their contact info: Our Horizon

They have a great kit here: Advocacy Action Kit : Our Horizon Everything you need to start a movement in your municipality. I'm all over my city council already.

Ah, I see that this is not yet law, but I salute the effort! Here's to hoping that this catches on. It seemed to really impact those who bought and used tobacco.

I'm sorry, but this is ridiculous. Someone in the comments summed it up.

Yeah, I'm sure millions of people are just gonna decide to hang the pump up and not go to work because there is a caribou on the handle.

I drive an ICE. Do I want to? No. Do I want to look at the animals I know I might kill because I can't yet afford a 200 mile BEV? F no.

This only makes it an us-vs-them scenario, everyone loses. This is coming from someone studying for a career of designing environmentally friendly transportation and structural systems.

I'm sorry, but this is ridiculous. Someone in the comments summed it up.

I drive an ICE. Do I want to? No. Do I want to look at the animals I know I might kill because I can't yet afford a 200 mile BEV? F no.

This only makes it an us-vs-them scenario, everyone loses. This is coming from someone studying for a career of designing environmentally friendly transportation and structural systems.
Disagree 100%
It's uncomfortable for people...but that's what's needed...just like warnings on cigarette packs. Shocking, uncomfortable, effective.
Then the conversation turns to alternatives...EV's

Never mind animals...

Label-Asthma-300x300.jpg

As a new parent this one hits home, big time.

Want an EV? Hit your politician up. Tell them to Stop Subsidizing Fossil Fuels. Start Subsidizing Electric Vehicles.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm sorry, but this is ridiculous.

May I ask what's more ridiculous...the pump labels or this:

Fossil fuel subsidies: G20 spends billions to push us closer to climate disaster - YouTube

- - - Updated - - -

There is plenty of big money and power that will continue to play the "us vs. them" game, like they have been for decades already. I see no problem with the "us" team making some plays.
True Dat:

Tesla’s Elon Musk Presses for Action on Climate Change at ‘Racing Extinction’ Screening - YouTube

Merchants of Doubt - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited:
I believe the constant politicization of the issue (i.e. radical Islamic terrorism is caused by climate change) is making people think it's only about politics and less about science.

???? The fact that climate change causes political instability which allows Islamic Extremists to flourish is pretty well established science...

'Climate change poses another significant challenge for the United States and the world at large.As greenhouse gas emissions increase, sea levels are rising, average global temperatures areincreasing, and severe weather patterns are accelerating. These changes, coupled with otherglobal dynamics, including growing, urbanizing, more affluent populations, and substantialeconomic growth in India, China, Brazil, and other nations, will devastate homes, land, andinfrastructure. Climate change may exacerbate water scarcity and lead to sharp increases in foodcosts. The pressures caused by climate change will influence resource competition while placingadditional burdens on economies, societies, and governance institutions around the world.These effects are threat multipliers that will aggravate stressors abroad such as poverty,environmental degradation, political instability, and social tensions – conditions that can enable terrorist activity and other forms of violence. ' - 2014 quadrennial defense review PAGE 8

'Intelligence assessments, the report says, conclude that climate change could deepen globalpoverty, exacerbate water and other resource shortages, further weaken already fragilegovernments, accelerate the spread of disease, and create more demands for humanitarian anddisaster assistance. Climate change, the report says, may multiply the burdens on already fragilesocieties because regions of the globe likely to be most adversely affected overlap to a largedegree with regions that are already resource poor and suffer from poor governance.' - 2010 quadrennial defense review

No one is suggesting that ALL acts of terrorism are caused by AGW... but there will be acts of terrorism that would likely not have occurred if not for AGW. The Paris attacks very likely fall into that category.

This isn't politics... it's peer reviewed science.

???? The fact that climate change causes political instability which allows Islamic Extremists to flourish is pretty well established science...

'Climate change poses another significant challenge for the United States and the world at large.As greenhouse gas emissions increase, sea levels are rising, average global temperatures areincreasing, and severe weather patterns are accelerating. These changes, coupled with otherglobal dynamics, including growing, urbanizing, more affluent populations, and substantialeconomic growth in India, China, Brazil, and other nations, will devastate homes, land, andinfrastructure. Climate change may exacerbate water scarcity and lead to sharp increases in foodcosts. The pressures caused by climate change will influence resource competition while placingadditional burdens on economies, societies, and governance institutions around the world.These effects are threat multipliers that will aggravate stressors abroad such as poverty,environmental degradation, political instability, and social tensions – conditions that can enable terrorist activity and other forms of violence. ' - 2014 quadrennial defense review PAGE 8

'Intelligence assessments, the report says, conclude that climate change could deepen globalpoverty, exacerbate water and other resource shortages, further weaken already fragilegovernments, accelerate the spread of disease, and create more demands for humanitarian anddisaster assistance. Climate change, the report says, may multiply the burdens on already fragilesocieties because regions of the globe likely to be most adversely affected overlap to a largedegree with regions that are already resource poor and suffer from poor governance.' - 2010 quadrennial defense review

No one is suggesting that ALL acts of terrorism are caused by AGW... but there will be acts of terrorism that would likely not have occurred if not for AGW. The Paris attacks very likely fall into that category.

This isn't politics... it's peer reviewed science.

"note to self...nwdiver is smart, very smart. Do not try to debate him/her, you will lose"

"note to self...nwdiver is smart, very smart. Do not try to debate him/her, you will lose"

Because they cut and pasted a couple of quotes from a report written by Pentagon bureaucrats with a political agenda? That qualifies as peer reviewed?

I agree with the premise of James Anders, this is the reason why people treat it as a political issue. Because it seems it is about money, power and more regulation, which circularly solidifies more power.

Honest question that I have been wanting to ask but did not want to start a new discussion. Couldn't this whole COP-21 meeting been done virtually? All through modern virtual technology? I believe that this would have resonated more in the hearts of people who are in my opinion legitimately skeptical. Imagine if the world leasers had said:

"Climate change and carbon emissions are directly correlated. That being said, we see the urgency and do not want to contribute to a negative carbon footprint. Therefore, this will be the first virtual meeting of 150 world leaders, etc. We are setting the example.....and showing you how technology can be a suitable mechanism for in person meetings and a large portion of jet travel"

Would that have not been more compelling to the general public and seemed less hypocritical and self serving?