Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Question about Blink chargers on PA turnpike

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone know if the new-ish level 3 blink chargers on the Pennsylvania turnpike work for the model s? If they do work well enough I think I can take 3 hours off my trip by going through PA.

So if anyone knows how fast/slow these chargers are compared to superchargers? Any info about these level 3 chargers at the Bowmansville, Peter j. Camiel, and King of Prussia service Plazas would be appreciated, thanks!

I used the Blink CHAdeMO at the Peter J Camiel service area about a week ago. One of the ports wasn't functioning. I got on the phone with blink and eventually got the 2nd one working. Needed to top off or I couldn't have reached the Somerset, PA SC from NJ. Cost me $16.00 to use.

chademo charging.jpg
chademo charging2.jpg

Can't reveal how I know but the PA Turnpike authority paid a small fortune to have those Blink chargers installed.

Tesla offered to install Superchargers for free at all the PA turnpike rest stops but the Turnpike Authority refused, they said because other BEVs could not use them or that the deal with Blink prevented it. This is incredibly poor thinking and perhaps brain and ethical corruption as its very finest!

Reactions: doghousePVD
Can't reveal how I know but the PA Turnpike authority paid a small fortune to have those Blink chargers installed.

Tesla offered to install Superchargers for free at all the PA turnpike rest stops but the Turnpike Authority refused, they said because other BEVs could not use them or that the deal with Blink prevented it. This is incredibly poor thinking and perhaps brain and ethical corruption as its very finest!

For a few months the Blink high speed chargers on the PA Turnpike were great. As able to top off on the way back from Philadelphia at either Valley Forge or Peter S. Camiel (sp) stations. 15 minutes pick up 50 miles or so to get back to Harrisburg at a respectful speed. Then the snow came and the Valley Forge charge was literally ICED in. No one cleared the ice. Then the next service station was out of service. The L2 charger is a waste of time at about 15 miles an hour.

I have written and complained about their service with no luck. When they work they are great. When they don't you are traveling at 35mph to get home.

Once other stop in Valley Forge is at the Tesla Chargers at the King of Prussia Mall. they are 80 amps and do quite well. Last time they they were all blocked/ICED.

When will TESLA install a supercharger in the Philadelphia area. Yesterday I had to drive to Delaware to charge to make it home.

To answer the other question out there, to use the Blink high speed charger requires a $450 adapter, well worth it.