Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Salvage Model S for sale on kijiji (Hamilton - $34000)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Came across a number of salvage Tesla's a few months ago when someone on the Smart forums posted a salvage Smart Electric (eventually bought for $5000, including working 17.6kWh battery). Wonder what happens to these Tesla's? It's not like an ICE where spare parts can be readily found.

I had a chap drop by and use my HWPC on Plug Share...He had bought a salvaged S40 (Yes 40). He found someone in the USA to get the parts needed to fix it. I suspect it was from another salvage. In any case, he got it roadworthy, and licensed (Ontario green plate), and applied to Tesla to buy the S60 upgrade. According to him, Tesla wouldn't sell him the upgrade without $20,000 in additional repairs. So, he's NOT connected to the mother ship, gets no warrantee, software upgrades etc.

Note: This is his version. I'm not sure that it is truly Tesla's stance.

Caveat emptor on buying a salvaged Tesla.

I had a chap drop by and use my HWPC on Plug Share...He had bought a salvaged S40 (Yes 40). He found someone in the USA to get the parts needed to fix it. I suspect it was from another salvage. In any case, he got it roadworthy, and licensed (Ontario green plate), and applied to Tesla to buy the S60 upgrade. According to him, Tesla wouldn't sell him the upgrade without $20,000 in additional repairs. So, he's NOT connected to the mother ship, gets no warrantee, software upgrades etc.

Considering the experience people have had to date with salvage Roadsters, I'd say that's par for the course.

Maybe the battery case had some visible damage and the customer and tesla disagreed on the replacement.

Do you know how much it cost him?

What kind of condition (mechanically and cosmetically) was it in?

Do you know how much it cost him?

What kind of condition (mechanically and cosmetically) was it in?

He said it cost him "a few thousand" to fix up. I don't know the shape of the car at purchase - but cosmetically it looked fine while charging.

Maybe the battery case had some visible damage and the customer and tesla disagreed on the replacement.

I think that was his big beef with Tesla. They said the car was unsafe. He said that it passed a safety test. Tesla wanted $20,000 prior to allowing him to connect and upgrade. If you buy a salaged Tesla, you have only yourself to blame. As I said before: Caveat Emptor