Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Navigation keeps directly me the SC we just passed!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
any way to fix this? as i am passing a SC, and heading lets say to my destination 150 miles away, it is constantly telling me to backtrack to the SC i just passed to charge. i dont want to eliminate all SCs since i want to use the SC's on the way to my 150 mile destination. any advice would be great.

thanks!

any way to fix this? as i am passing a SC, and heading lets say to my destination 150 miles away, it is constantly telling me to backtrack to the SC i just passed to charge. i dont want to eliminate all SCs since i want to use the SC's on the way to my 150 mile destination. any advice would be great.

thanks!
Not really any way to fix it -- just a terrible piece of beta software that shouldn't have been released. I disabled it, because it was useless and did all sorts of crazy stuff, in addition to the routing back to supercharger you just left.

The best way to use the Nav is to put in the next SC or destination you want to arrive at and clear the rest of the charging stops. Done that way, the system works well although it's a little inflexible.

Another stupid thing it does is, when I'm leaving Silver Spring and going south, trying to get me to stop at Woodbridge for 5 minutes. No, I don't need to stop there for evey one minute, thanks, Tesla. Its Supercharger stops going north can be a bit odd, too, but that's the one that drives me crazy. (And yes I always have tons of charge to get to Richmond.)

Finished a 500+ Mike round trip today, south to Wilsonville, Or. Upon starting return trip north, the new Sandy OR Supercharger was suggested... Cool. Didn't realize it was so close and wanted to check it out... Bad, bad idea that I unfortunately followed. Instead of going 12 miles south on I5 to Woodburn SUoercharger, it had me go 25 miles east and on side roads to Sandy SC. Made it after almost 50 minutes and 20 miles range left... Definitely undue anxiety.

insult was added to injury as when finished charging and "continuing the journey" the navigation result was that I needed u-turn and go stop at the Sandy OR supercharger... Lol. Bug noted and sent, though this is asinine. :p

Trip planner == range anxiety in my opinion ;-)

Seriously, turn it off. It's been this way since the trip planner release and hasn't improved at all. Tesla is well aware.

Hey, I didn't say I listened to it... Well, ok I did for the "go to Sandy SC", though it was new ;-)

i had had hopes latest FW (.217) had helped improved this. It hasn't, so still reporting bugs :)

- - - Updated - - -

so there is no way to turn off certain SC and leave others on right?
correct, you can temporarily "remove all supercharger stops", or disable permanently in settings.

personally, I remove all stops until I'm about 15 mins from where I know it is. Also, my completely unscientific feedback is that cancelling the route prior to charging appears to stop the perceived behavior of premature charging ramp down - ie SC appears to reduce current significantly when passing the judged "you're have enough to make your next segment'. At some point I should actually grab data on this...

It should only do that if you have insufficient charge to reach the next planned charging stop. But it does. It's annoying but not debilitating.

I would like to plug the Nav system for it's ability to find the best route in circumstances where the planned route is experiencing traffic overloads for whatever reason. This weekend on the way back to MD from NJ, it taught us there is another Delaware Bridge we'd never used, but that served us well with the Memorial Bridge oversubscribed and tangled. I have objected in the past to the Navigation system hunting for better routes and rerouting at times it did not seem necessary, but it's really nice to have it hunting when all the roads seem swollen with holiday traffic!

Several months ago on our way to Reno I was swearing at the Nav near Seattle for trying to take us off I-5 S onto the 405, which is a longer route. Couldn't understand why it would do that, there was no reason to. Until a mile or two down the road, and we hit (not literally) the I-5 Parking Lot. I was quite impressed at that point, and [almost] felt a little guilty for my blue language earlier.

My solution to the "go back to the last SC" problem is, since we have our route planned out anyway, to just input the specific next destination, which is either the next planned SC stop, a side route for pleasure/exploring, or our hotel for the night. Only occasionally do I have to ignore the crazy rubber banded last SC directions.

The entire navigation/trip planner is a complete train wreck.

It used to be that I could simply "remove all superchargers" option, and it would get rid the erroneous "drive back" issue. But, then one day (after some 6.2.X update) it simply refused to create a route (busy circle thing until I gave up and hit cancel). The only way to fix it was to turn it off. So now days I turn it on just to see what route it will create and then I turn it off. Once turned off I simply use the next supercharger as my destination.

I also used to use the nav's re-route for traffic, but I gave up on it because it doesn't obey the time setting. I'm not going to get off some freeway to save 5-10 minutes. I will however get off the freeway to some other road to save 30 minutes.

personally, I remove all stops until I'm about 15 mins from where I know it is. Also, my completely unscientific feedback is that cancelling the route prior to charging appears to stop the perceived behavior of premature charging ramp down - ie SC appears to reduce current significantly when passing the judged "you're have enough to make your next segment'. At some point I should actually grab data on this...

Wait, WTH?! Is this definitely happening? I always charge longer (sometimes a lot longer, if for example it's the last SC before my destination). I haven't noticed this; it makes no sense for it to do that whether or not you have enough charge...it should only reduce current when it normally would. ;-(

Wait, WTH?! Is this definitely happening? I always charge longer (sometimes a lot longer, if for example it's the last SC before my destination). I haven't noticed this; it makes no sense for it to do that whether or not you have enough charge...it should only reduce current when it normally would. ;-(

Experiential data only, though many other variables may have changed, eg temp, number of other cars, etc. I also don't sit in my car. Hence I should likely measure this ;-)

Experiential data only, though many other variables may have changed, eg temp, number of other cars, etc. I also don't sit in my car. Hence I should likely measure this ;-)

Heh, me too! I'll try to remember this on my Xmas weekend trip (keeping in mind the cold, but if I pay enough attention hopefully I can catch any sudden drop in charge rate).

I ran into this for the first time during my Thanksgiving trip from the Bay Area to L.A. The other trip I made before did not have this issue, so not sure if something changed in the incremental updates. I also had it telling me to make a "0 minute" stop at a Supercharger both coming and going. One thing I noticed it is it seems to be really want you to travel the speed limit, which kinda sucks. It would be great if it took into account your driving style, because they have access to so much data. Anywho, really looking forward to this feature improving.