Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Traveling to locations that have no charging stations like Southern New Mexico

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I own several vehicles as I used to collect classic cars.
I drive around town in a 2005 Honda Hybrid Insight and on trips, I take my Honda Odyssey Van.
I want a Tesla but I am concerned about going to location that shows no charging stations like southern New Mexico.

You that own a Tesla, can you only travel to states or cities that have charging stations and you can not travel to southern New Mexico or Western Texas for example?

I own several vehicles as I used to collect classic cars.
I drive around town in a 2005 Honda Hybrid Insight and on trips, I take my Honda Odyssey Van.
I want a Tesla but I am concerned about going to location that shows no charging stations like southern New Mexico.

You that own a Tesla, can you only travel to states or cities that have charging stations and you can not travel to southern New Mexico or Western Texas for example?

We travel from California to Las Cruces, NM at least once a year to see my parents. We always stay at the Westin La Paloma in Tucson to charge over night and then spend two to three hours charging at the magic circle RV park in Wilcox AZ. You can walk into town while the car is charging at the RV park. As long as you bring your UMC along, you can charge at any RV park that has 50 amp hookups. Superchargers are MUCH more convenient for charging on road trips. But RV parks will do in a pinch.

I agree that RV parks that have 50 Amp service are a great resource for trips like this.

Don't forget about 120 V charging, from any standard outlet, at your destination. If you are staying several days, and not driving much, you can get by on 120 V alone. You can also use 120 V to supplement other charging.

Depending on your destination, consider paying to have a 240 V 30 or 50 Amp outlet installed. This helps blaze the trail for others, and also provides convenient charging on any return trips you might make.

For large hotels and resorts, tell the manager about Tesla's destination charging program. They might agree to install one or more HPWCs that Tesla will provide to them. If they don't, perhaps another property in the area will.

Good Luck, and happy trail blazing,

GSP

When I first got my Tesla three years ago there were only two Superchargers and they were in California. We used RV parks, kind Tesla owners on Plugshare, and B&Bs that put in a 50 amp RV connection for us. Our trips were still far better than in an ICE car. It's only been in the last year that Superchargers were available where we typically travel. Note that you can also use a dryer connection if you have the proper adapter. Lack of Superchargers isn't really an issue, although Superchargers and charging where you sleep are more convenient.

Don't forget about 120 V charging, from any standard outlet, at your destination. If you are staying several days, and not driving much, you can get by on 120 V alone. You can also use 120 V to supplement other ...
GSP
this is an important, usually overlooked, point. Particularly in areas such as those mentioned by the OP, when Plugshare is mostly non-existent and even RV parks are often unavailable or inconvenient, 120 v works.

whenever I stay overnight out of range for convenient chargers I seek 120 V. I carry a heavy duty 30 foot extension cord for that purpose. Many hotels and motels have 120 V outlets outside, and many also don't even know they exist. Recently at a hotel in Kentucky Inwas told they had no outlets. I wandered the property and found one. Once I found it the management happily let me use it. Although temperature dependent those outlets tend to give 4/5 MPH in ~55 F weather, good enough to be a major help.

i plan a Texas panhandle, New Mexico trip soon. My plan is to use those outlets when I cannot find better ones.