Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FDA approves Laser Headlight, when will Tesla have it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
FDA approved a weaker version of laser headlight (2 times stronger vs 3 times in Europe)

While this is not new in Europe, it is new technology for the US and it got me wondering when the Tesla Model S will start to have it as either standard or part of premium lighting package.

My guess is that since X has LED's as standard, in a year or two, Tesla will start to offer these as part of the premium package or even as a separate upgrade since it is quite expensive.

What do you guys think?

BMW i8 will be available for the first time in the U.S. | Electrek

Tesla isn't on the cutting edge of lighting. The S only has standard fixed HIDs. It's a decade behind other luxury cars in that respect. Unless they end up licensing someone else's technology I don't see Tesla skipping over LEDs to offer laser lighting any time soon.

Honestly, if you look at the design of the MS headlight it's pretty basic. I think they had such an uphill battle to climb with the car itself that for some of the simpler stuff like that they just went with what's simple and what works and what would offer the best return. As we've seen with other aspects of the car, people are willing to make certain compromises in features to drive a car like the MS. I think Tesla was aware of that and decided to go with the HIDs.

After all, when you're dealing with a car as revolutionary as the S, the last thing people are going to be talking about is the difference in light output between LED and HID. The real surprise was why they offered the car with halogen lights.

I wonder why LED headlights aren't standard on the MS? I'm pretty sure they are standard on the Nissan Leaf. I kind of think it would be a fairly standard thing to have LEDs on an EV. Are laser headlights more efficient than LEDs?
Yes, according to the above article they're 30% more energy efficient.
This is now my most wanted feature for the Model S!

Yes, according to the above article they're 30% more energy efficient.
This is now my most wanted feature for the Model S!

HID are something like 45W. 30% more efficient brings them down to 31.5W. The 13.5W savings means that you will gain a mile of range somewhere around 20-30 hours of driving with the lights on. Energy efficiency wouldn't be the primary reason to use them, as it's down in the noise level.

That's one thing I am a bit disappointed with the Model S; the fixed HID headlights. I wouldn't mind as much if they swiveled. On my Jeep Grand Cherokee, it has self leveling and awesome swivel/cornering. That's on a vehicle half the cost the model S. Fixed headlights are pretty skimpy. LED's would be great, but to get them to auto level and turn is a much more important feature.

That's one thing I am a bit disappointed with the Model S; the fixed HID headlights. I wouldn't mind as much if they swiveled. On my Jeep Grand Cherokee, it has self leveling and awesome swivel/cornering. That's on a vehicle half the cost the model S. Fixed headlights are pretty skimpy. LED's would be great, but to get them to auto level and turn is a much more important feature.
Right. My 10 year old BMW 3 series has auto leveling and swiveling headlights that are just awesome.

Laser lights would be nice because of the possibility of using high beam all the time (blocking selectively the sector in which other vehicles are located, so you do not blind them). As for the BMW lights, I liked the self-leveling part, but did not find much use for the swiveling.

Laser lights would be nice because of the possibility of using high beam all the time (blocking selectively the sector in which other vehicles are located, so you do not blind them). As for the BMW lights, I liked the self-leveling part, but did not find much use for the swiveling.

You actually don't need laser for that. LED is capable of it as well as is HID. My 535 would have it's highs on most of the time and when an oncoming car was detected it would swivel the driver's light over to create a tunnel for that car and it would track it until the car got close enough, shut off the left high beam altogether, and then snap it back on. Same with following cars with your high beams on. If you came up on a car in front of you the high beams would split to make a tunnel for it but your highs would still be fully on without blinding that car.

With HIDs they were using a blocker on a swivel with a stepper or servo motor of some sort.

All of this is of course illegal in the US because of our archaic DOT laws but at least in the case of the BMWs the hardware and software is all there but just disabled during pre-purchase inspection. $50 and someone can code it right back on for you. Best $50 I ever spent. Those headlights were amazing.