Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

cryptic message

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After a very short excursion, 2015 S D gives me 'driver assistance features not working, contact Tesla service'. Car appears to be working. Only change is some snow on ground since I last drove. Anybody else had this message or know what it means? Thanks

On rare occasion a random error message will pop up, and then go away again. If you don't see an ongoing problem, then I would ignore it. If you see the error repeating, or are having trouble with the car systems, then I would report it.

I have been experimenting the same issue for the past 2 months. I took it to the Montreal SC and they have calibrated both the camera and the fron radar, but I'm still getting that message. Every time it happened, there was no sign of obstruction or there was no reason why it wouldn't work. I have read on other threads that it seems to be related to a faulty camera. Others have reported that replacing the camera fixed the issue. I'm waiting for a callback from Montreal regarding this.

I'll throw this on the fire and see what blows up.
20151115_264913.jpg

(I do have an explanation)

My guess would be something in the ABS circuit, likely a wheel speed sensor. The last message is probably the key. What is your explanation??
The warnings are the result of one of the wheel wells becoming packed with snow and restricting rotation of that wheel. The computer sees this restriction in the wheel rotation and decides that as it can not control the wheel in a normal fashion it will shutdown the automatic systems and leave control to the driver. What's really disconcerting is warnings that the computer displays for the driver indicating that the vehicle needs service when it really needs the wheel well unpacked (the packing cleared on its own in a few seconds, but the warnings remained).

This occurred on a road where it was not safe to stop due to traffic on an extremely slick downhill and with no room to pull over (snow banks). Until I could pull over about 3 or 4 km down the road, the speedometer was locked at 6 km/hr even though the vehicle was travelling 20 to 30 km/hr. When I did stop and get out, the car turned off (as normal) and when I "started" again, the systems were re-enabled.

The warnings are the result of one of the wheel wells becoming packed with snow and restricting rotation of that wheel. The computer sees this restriction in the wheel rotation and decides that as it can not control the wheel in a normal fashion it will shutdown the automatic systems and leave control to the driver. What's really disconcerting is warnings that the computer displays for the driver indicating that the vehicle needs service when it really needs the wheel well unpacked (the packing cleared on its own in a few seconds, but the warnings remained).

This occurred on a road where it was not safe to stop due to traffic on an extremely slick downhill and with no room to pull over (snow banks). Until I could pull over about 3 or 4 km down the road, the speedometer was locked at 6 km/hr even though the vehicle was travelling 20 to 30 km/hr. When I did stop and get out, the car turned off (as normal) and when I "started" again, the systems were re-enabled.
Wow, that's an interesting one! Do you have an AWD or RWD car? And which wheel was it? Was it merely a restriction like having the brakes on, or was the tire actually not turning at speed of travel? The way the speedo locked sounds really odd... I would have expected the speedo feed would come from the driveline and not a wheel sensor (or so I'm inferring from what you saw), but I don't know.

Was it that nasty up at Big White? ;-)

Wow, that's an interesting one! Do you have an AWD or RWD car? And which wheel was it? Was it merely a restriction like having the brakes on, or was the tire actually not turning at speed of travel? The way the speedo locked sounds really odd... I would have expected the speedo feed would come from the driveline and not a wheel sensor (or so I'm inferring from what you saw), but I don't know.

Was it that nasty up at Big White? ;-)

Im guessing it would have to be AWD to get these messages all together.

I guess I should add a signature....

Our vehicle is a 2013 S85, so, RWD with no AP hardware. The restricted wheel was probably the left front; it occurred when leaving the parking lot and was momentary. The frozen speedometer is a bit surprising, but I'm guessing that it was a software glitch.

Not Big White, and not particularly nasty, just winter in the hills. Nasty is the Trans Canada east of Sicamous when semis are barrelling along at 100+ kph in a snow storm and covering on coming traffic in sheets of slush.

Our vehicle is a 2013 S85, so, RWD with no AP hardware. The restricted wheel was probably the left front; it occurred when leaving the parking lot and was momentary. The frozen speedometer is a bit surprising, but I'm guessing that it was a software glitch.

Not Big White, and not particularly nasty, just winter in the hills. Nasty is the Trans Canada east of Sicamous when semis are barrelling along at 100+ kph in a snow storm and covering on coming traffic in sheets of slush.
Ah, I can visualize the problem better now... that chunk of ice that forms like a big frozen mud flap probably broke loose when you turned the wheel a bit... it rode up and around and lodged solid enough to lock the tire on a slippery spot of road... until road friction returned and crunched it apart. I have no idea why the speedo froze - like you say, the condition may have triggered a software bug. Weird though.

And yeah, I'll take a snowy back road over the TCH and Coq pretty much any time!

At least on RWD cars, (maybe all) the speedometer is apparently derived from the front wheels. If you jack up the rear end or put it on a dyno, the speed will stay at zero when the rear wheels spin. This will also trigger the errors shown by dasRad.

At least on RWD cars, (maybe all) the speedometer is apparently derived from the front wheels. If you jack up the rear end or put it on a dyno, the speed will stay at zero when the rear wheels spin. This will also trigger the errors shown by dasRad.
That makes sense, since RWD rally cars always had a mechanical odometer drive from the front... wheel spin would make a rear or transmission odometer/speedo drive pretty much useless. I can't say I've ever heard of a RWD production car getting speed or distance information from a front wheel though. Likely another first from Tesla. I should have learned by now not to assume anything about the car would actually be conventional! :biggrin: