Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phone shopping for the wife.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well the wife's ancient Galaxy S4 is giving up the ghost so I plan on pirchasing a new unit for her. The thing is that we still have an unlimited Verizon plan, so I have to pay for this thing out of pocket, as using a subsidized upgrade will cancel my grandfathered unlimited data/talk/text. As such, I'm thinking of getting her either a Nexus 5x or 6p, however I'm not up to speed on these or the competition. Any suggestions would be appreciated, though keep in mind that it needs to be able to run on the VZW 4G network, and that the camera/image quality is above par (really the only spec she cares about). The last caveat is actually causing me to consider the 6p over the 5x as the 5 doesn't have image stabilization. Basically it doesn't need to be a top of the line flagship as long as the camera is of that quality.

iPhones need not apply.

If my S4 died, I'd look for a used one in good condition. I don't see a compelling reason to get a newer one. Faster processor? Edge screen? So what? None of the hardware upgrades in the last couple of years seem all that compelling to me.

If my S4 died, I'd look for a used one in good condition. I don't see a compelling reason to get a newer one. Faster processor? Edge screen? So what? None of the hardware upgrades in the last couple of years seem all that compelling to me.

The cameras in newer models are heads and shoulders above and beyond what the S4 has for imaging however. Her biggest gripe is its lack of low light capabilities for photos and catching quick moving objects like out 3.5 year old. That aside, I agree there's no need to get a larger screen, resolutions over 1080P, live YouTube streaming, et al... then again, I won't turn down better specs simply out of principal.

I used to be grandfathered in Verizon as well. I got tired of the nickel and diming, so I went to TMobile and am currently on a Nexus 6. The phone has good battery life and wifi calling on TMobile, and soon it will get the band 12 (700 Mhz) upgrade. The camera is good and can record video in 4K. You should be able to find good deals on the 6, and it is still considered a powerful phone by today's standards.

The last caveat is actually causing me to consider the 6p over the 5x as the 5 doesn't have image stabilization. Basically it doesn't need to be a top of the line flagship as long as the camera is of that quality.
The rear camera of the 6p and 5x is the same. The 6p has electronic image stabilization (because of stronger processor), while 5x doesn't. However, neither has optical image stabilization.

The two current gen phones that do are the LG G4 and Samsung S6. This comparison test probably would be useful for you:
http://www.androidcentral.com/camera-showdown-oneplus-2-vs-lg-g4-vs-galaxy-s6

The rear camera of the 6p and 5x is the same. The 6p has electronic image stabilization (because of stronger processor), while 5x doesn't. However, neither has optical image stabilization.

The two current gen phones that do are the LG G4 and Samsung S6. This comparison test probably would be useful for you:
http://www.androidcentral.com/camera-showdown-oneplus-2-vs-lg-g4-vs-galaxy-s6

Indeed, I actually have this feature in my Note 5, and I absolutely love it. Hence my preference for a phone with the software.

I have a 5X and like it. If 5.2" is too big, the Nexus 5 is still a great phone and can be had on the cheap. 4.95" to 5.2" may not sound like much, but the 5X is less usable one-handed for me. I do love the fingerprint reader, though.

The cameras in newer models are heads and shoulders above and beyond what the S4 has for imaging however. Her biggest gripe is its lack of low light capabilities for photos and catching quick moving objects like out 3.5 year old. That aside, I agree there's no need to get a larger screen, resolutions over 1080P, live YouTube streaming, et al... then again, I won't turn down better specs simply out of principal.
Good point. I only use the camera for quick snapshots, so I don't really worry about it. If I want quality photos, I haul out the DSLR and lens collection.

How is the 5x camera?

Other problem I have is lack of SD card slot. That's a non-starter for me. I want to carry my entire music collection with me, which has crossed the 64gb boundary. I won't pay ridiculous markups on flash memory ($200 for 128GB? Are they nuts?), especially when I've already got the 128GB SD card.

Good point. I only use the camera for quick snapshots, so I don't really worry about it. If I want quality photos, I haul out the DSLR and lens collection.

How is the 5x camera?

Other problem I have is lack of SD card slot. That's a non-starter for me. I want to carry my entire music collection with me, which has crossed the 64gb boundary. I won't pay ridiculous markups on flash memory ($200 for 128GB? Are they nuts?), especially when I've already got the 128GB SD card.
The 5x is mighty tempting with the discount, but I agree with you that the lack of SD card slot sucks. However, this had always been a point with the Nexus line (Nexus One excepted). LG G4 is the closest, but a lot more expensive and it is also bigger (a negative for me, I like the 5x's size better).

Nuts. Verizon may have found a way to get me to cough up for an S6 - wifi calling is rolling out on the S6 and S6 edge.

If Sprint and T-mobile had better coverage in my area, I might try Project Fi. I got an invite yesterday, but I think I'll pass.

This better include the Note 5...
Verizon rolls out Wi-Fi calling this week - CNET
The feature is expected to extend to additional Android smartphones and Apple's iPhone early next year, the company said.

- - - Updated - - -

One workaround - I use Google voice and hand out my GV number to people. My S4 is configured to make all outgoing calls from my GV number (a setting in the GV app). I installed the Hangouts dialer and use that to make VoIP calls when on wifi. Incoming calls ring both the Hangouts dialer and the native phone app. I answer the appropriate one based on whether I'm on wifi or have good cell coverage. Outgoing calls show my number on the caller ID, and incoming calls always reach me.

It's nowhere near as slick as having wifi calling built into the phone and letting the phone handle it transparently, but it gets the job done.

When I left AT&T's lousy local coverage for Verizon, I ported my 15+ year old number to Google rather than letting another carrier hold it hostage for a 2 year contract. Then I got a new random number from Verizon, and set up GV to forward to the new number.

In case anyone's listening...

I've been eyeing the Nexus 6P, after using a friend's 5X. I just read the Galaxy S7 specs, and I'm going to break down and pre-order one to replace my S4. Three features (none of which the 6P have) did it for me:
  • IP68 waterproof (5 feet, 30 minutes) - great for summers on the boat (I know someday I'm going to jump in and forget to remove the phone from my pocket).
  • Return of the SD card slot (removed on the S6). Cards up to 200GB supported
  • Officially supported by Verizon for Wifi calling. I live in a fringe area, and frequently drop calls.

In case anyone's listening...

I've been eyeing the Nexus 6P, after using a friend's 5X. I just read the Galaxy S7 specs, and I'm going to break down and pre-order one to replace my S4. Three features (none of which the 6P have) did it for me:
  • IP68 waterproof (5 feet, 30 minutes) - great for summers on the boat (I know someday I'm going to jump in and forget to remove the phone from my pocket).
  • Return of the SD card slot (removed on the S6). Cards up to 200GB supported
  • Officially supported by Verizon for Wifi calling. I live in a fringe area, and frequently drop calls.

I'm looking to upgrade my S5 because I've umn... dropped it one too many times now. I've also been waiting for the S7 or eyeing the 6P.

There's another cool feature on the S7 that I like (my wife has the S6 edge, so she has it too, and I've seen it in action) - Samsung Pay. You can import many of your credit cards into the phone, and go to almost any terminal and use the pay method. Unlike Android pay, it doesn't need the NFC enabled terminal, it can used on almost any terminal.

Useful? Eh... more useful than Android pay, but overall... eh.
Cool? Definitely