Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon to personally interview the SW developers who will work on autopilot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OT, I know, but how does this happen? Is the Google car programmed to recognize police? What does the officer do, tape a citation to the windshield? This sounds like it could be hilarious to watch from a distance:)
I'm not sure but one article I read said that Google tests their cars to see how it responds to emergency vehicles. I bet in this case, the "operator" has a way to override it and pull it over since it's still in testing phase. There is still a human in the vehicle for the officer to talk to. Apparently what they were doing- going 25 in a 35, not illegal. Maybe the officer was more curious To see what it was? According to this article, the Google cars have been involved in several accidents but none of them were the fault of the self driving cars. Instead, it was always due to being rear ended which I suspect was due to people trying to get a closer look!

Google’s self-driving car gets pulled over for driving too slowly | Technology | The Guardian

OT, I know, but how does this happen? Is the Google car programmed to recognize police? What does the officer do, tape a citation to the windshield? This sounds like it could be hilarious to watch from a distance:)

But when he pulled it over, he discovered the vehicle in question was an autonomous one specially made by Google, that drives and makes decisions without the need of a human driver — although two humans were in the car taking notes and able to manually override and take over the controls if necessary.

"The officer stopped the car and made contact with the operators to learn more about how the car was choosing speeds along certain roadways," a police statement on the incident said, "and to educate the operators about impeding traffic per 22400(a) of the California Vehicle Code."
http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/google-self-driving-car-slow-1.3318196

Brings up the questions like, "Is there a need for a driver's license if you're not technically driving??" Or "Will there be a separate license just to operate it and if so, how would that work with different manufacturers?"

Brings up the questions like, "Is there a need for a driver's license if you're not technically driving??" Or "Will there be a separate license just to operate it and if so, how would that work with different manufacturers?"
We could put the FAA in charge of it. They already have IFR and VFR systems, so no new development would be required. Just change the F to a D.

We could put the FAA in charge of it. They already have IFR and VFR systems, so no new development would be required. Just change the F to a D.
DAA?

Duh Automobile Administration?

The "F" in FAA is Federal. I think you mean to change the second "A" from Aviation to Driving, thus "FDA"...but we already have one of those!