Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Keyless Entry for Dummies ...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Okay. I'm new. We've all been there, so don't give me a hard time. I've also come from a history of driving Jaguar XKR sports cars. I know life's tough! But I'm used to a highly evolved and refined form of driving. Albeit with petrol! (How evolved is that you say!)

So the keyless system I'm used to from Jag, like Pavlov's Dog, when hopping out of the car is - turn the motor off, get out, press a button on the door handle to lock the car - it beeps once to let you know all is right in the world and you walk off. If it beeps twice, you've done something wrong - like leaving your car key in the car - derr - and you fix it and try again.

So just the other day, as I'm getting used to this wonderful new beastie of mine, a beautiful Obsidian Black 85D, I pull up and park. Managed that okay. Put the car gear into park to turn my Tesla off. Still not used to this - I can still feel a phantom engine hum. And got out and walked away, knowing my car would lock in seconds.

Unfortunately, (wait for it, we all know what's coming ...) I had left my key fob in the car and it was never locked.

On my return I wondered what I did wrong (besides the obvious). Clearly Jag got over drivers being so, hmmm, stupid, by forcing them, through positive action, to lock their car.

What have I missed?

Okay. I'm new. We've all been there, so don't give me a hard time. I've also come from a history of driving Jaguar XKR sports cars. I know life's tough! But I'm used to a highly evolved and refined form of driving. Albeit with petrol! (How evolved is that you say!)

So the keyless system I'm used to from Jag, like Pavlov's Dog, when hopping out of the car is - turn the motor off, get out, press a button on the door handle to lock the car - it beeps once to let you know all is right in the world and you walk off. If it beeps twice, you've done something wrong - like leaving your car key in the car - derr - and you fix it and try again.

So just the other day, as I'm getting used to this wonderful new beastie of mine, a beautiful Obsidian Black 85D, I pull up and park. Managed that okay. Put the car gear into park to turn my Tesla off. Still not used to this - I can still feel a phantom engine hum. And got out and walked away, knowing my car would lock in seconds.

Unfortunately, (wait for it, we all know what's coming ...) I had left my key fob in the car and it was never locked.

On my return I wondered what I did wrong (besides the obvious). Clearly Jag got over drivers being so, hmmm, stupid, by forcing them, through positive action, to lock their car.

What have I missed?

That phantom engine hum you feel is probably the aircon still operating.

I I still can't get used to the put in park and get out. I keep thinking I have forgotten something.

As for locking it. My biggest issue is passengers that don't properly close the doors which then won't allow the car to lock. You could turn off the auto lock and get in the habit of locking using the key fob. I leave auto lock on but because of the door close situation I manually lock when I have had passengers. If you press the button and the mirrors don't fold in and lights don't turn off I know there's a problem

@alpal: email 'ownership' with your request for the 'you left the fob in the car beep'. They can send it up the food chain and if enough people request it you may see this in 8.0/9.0 firmware.

Its necessary to warn you when walking away from an unlocked car:smile:

If the car uses the fob signal to detect if you are next to it, how can it tell that you have walked away if you leave the fob in it? A timer from the seat sensor would be the only logical way. This could be annoying if you are not actually walking away as the timer would need to be less than 10 sec for it to make sense.

If doors are shut with fob inside and neither front seat is occupied (they have sensors) then sound alert. Instead of honking horn, it could also send an alert to your phone through the Tesla app.

If doors are shut with fob inside and neither front seat is occupied (they have sensors) then sound alert. Instead of honking horn, it could also send an alert to your phone through the Tesla app.

Ingineer, I agree, this seems the simplest solution. However, it's so simple it begs the question of why; why Tesla hasn't already incorporated this idea. Against the backdrop of such advanced technologies as the autopilot etc, the thought that must have already gone into this vehicle is prestigious. I must have missed something. But I will put in the suggestion.

Ingineer, I agree, this seems the simplest solution. However, it's so simple it begs the question of why; why Tesla hasn't already incorporated this idea. Against the backdrop of such advanced technologies as the autopilot etc, the thought that must have already gone into this vehicle is prestigious. I must have missed something. But I will put in the suggestion.

Maybe because if you left your key in the car you may also have forgotten your phone in there as well?

It's clear to me Tesla's overriding theme is minimalism. They want the interior and all controls to be clean and simple. There are actually very few options on the CID compared to most cars these days. This design minimalism seems to place form over function, which I don't appreciate as much. Seems like as far as controls/options, they could have a default "simple" mode that's like the current design, then add in an "expert" with more options and settings. This way the car is clean and simple for most people, then us power users still get our cool tech granularity.