Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Some mod notes: mini 0806, tiny 12v 5v circuit, hatch light, front T, rear skid plate

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mini 0806 dashcam. Small size. Fits behind mirror. Powered from spare 12v in microphone area. < $100

Tiny 12v to 5 v circuit. Ultra small, by atomic market. Amazon.

Bright LED light. Direct plug in. Fits hole perfectly where light module was. Lorcoo light, Amazon

Evannex light T kit. Easy to install in 2 hours. Don't need to remove nose cone or frunk liner. Just pop open a couple inches. Only need to solder to OBD plug. Maybe crimp instead? Can store remote's signal in home link for on/off if you want.

Rear skid plate. Cracked due to weakened plastic from hole cut for trailer hitch. Glued and covered with carbon fiber vinyl wrap.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    642.6 KB · Views: 257
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    622.2 KB · Views: 173
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    211.1 KB · Views: 182
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    222.8 KB · Views: 185
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    438 KB · Views: 177
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    583.9 KB · Views: 174
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    673.5 KB · Views: 184
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    500.9 KB · Views: 173
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    584.2 KB · Views: 166
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    514.2 KB · Views: 159
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    947.8 KB · Views: 165
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    690.5 KB · Views: 161
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    941.7 KB · Views: 171
I am going to check out your Mini 0806, but I've read more about the Blackvue camera. I assume they are all easy hook ups in there. Any soldering involved? Wire stripping?

Just installed a Mini 0806 over the holiday. It doesn't have all the bells/whiles of Blackvue but the picture quality is every bit as good, plus at 1/3 the cost I can buy a second 0806 for rear.
If you have the right plug to fit into the 12v plug in speaker grill then it will be plug and play. I made a plug for the 12v-5v converter and it plugs right in.

I have an 0806 in my car also. I wasn't aware of the plug in the mirror mount when i installed mine, so it's wired to the obd2 port.

I've had it replaced once under warranty. Apparently they can't handle temps above 100 degrees or so and die regularly in the summer. If it goes again next year, I'll probably get a blackvue.

I am going to check out your Mini 0806, but I've read more about the Blackvue camera. I assume they are all easy hook ups in there. Any soldering involved? Wire stripping?

if you have the 12v plug, then you still need a small circuit to drop to 5 volts for the camera, unless you run from the 12v accessory and use the included adapter to 5v.

the tiny circuit I found is easy to fit up there, but it does require a bit of soldering. I happened to have the plug that mates with that empty plug, so no soldering or stripping any existing wires.

- - - Updated - - -

I have an 0806 in my car also. I wasn't aware of the plug in the mirror mount when i installed mine, so it's wired to the obd2 port.

I've had it replaced once under warranty. Apparently they can't handle temps above 100 degrees or so and die regularly in the summer. If it goes again next year, I'll probably get a blackvue.

one problem I have had is that sometimes when the card gets full it stops recording... not so reliable this way. I bought a new card and it seems to be better.

- - - Updated - - -

one problem I have had is that sometimes when the card gets full it stops recording... not so reliable this way. I bought a new card and it seems to be better.

On my other dashcam (Mobius) I had this similar issue. It was due to the card being formatted as exFAT. I just had to reformat it as FAT32 to enable loop writing.