Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Aftermarket autopilot for "classic" MS's, there might be hope.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I question how big the market is for an add-on semi-autonomous driving system at $10K or more that is bolted onto the roof or mounts on a roof bar, which involves extensive modifications to the car and could possibly partially negate the vehicle's factory warranty.
I am skeptical that this company will succeed.

I question how big the market is for an add-on semi-autonomous driving system at $10K or more that is bolted onto the roof or mounts on a roof bar, which involves extensive modifications to the car and could possibly partially negate the vehicle's factory warranty.
I am skeptical that this company will succeed.
This is gen 1 and very encouraging that we're at $10k today. Other competitors will emerge (i.e. MobileEye and partners) and prices will come down. 2-3 years from now I bet there's a fully autonomous aftermarket kit for less than $10k (which includes back and side cameras). $10k for a full-time chauffeur? There's plenty of demand for that

I'm rooting for this company. I fully expect to see this or a similar device brought to the market by 2017. You can buy add-on backup cameras at Costco for a few hundred $$$ so this isn't far-fetched. It probably won't be as fully integrated with the vehicle as the Tesla (Tesla has room to improve their also) but it may reduce accidents and improve commuting for the masses.

I'd hope it also has the ability to sense approaching thieves, record, and cloud store videos.

I'd bet car manufacturers will be their best supporters.

I wonder if we could really retrofit something like this into our Classic S's given that most of us have the first generation hydraulic brakes. My understanding is that Tesla had to change to the electro-mechanical brakes for autopilot. Believe me, I would love to have autopilot, but so far it seems the only path is to take the depreciation hit and buy up.