Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Maximum regen amps

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi folks,
The maximum regen amps I am seeing on my Roadster is 83 amps when driving at 60-70mph on a level road and letting go of the accelerator pedal.
Is that in the normal range. I recall seeing over 100 amps at one point but maybe I am not remembering correctly?

Peak power for a few seconds though - a different beast to sustained power over an hour.

A different vehicle, but I read somewhere about a guy who recharged his Leaf by towing it behind a pickup truck... Probably not a good idea.

A question, though: Where are the measurements taken? Is the LCD display measuring the net going into/out of the battery itself, or is it measuring where else? Same question for the analog meter on the 2.0/2.5 models? I.e. if you are regenning, say, 5kw on the analog display, but have the heat + AC on max, would the digital display net out to about zero?

The LCD displays the current going in our going out the batterie.
Full regen is indeed 33 kW, with 400V counts for 82A.

Then why do I often see the kW meter go to -40 on my 2.5? Are you saying that the motor might be generating 40kW but what's going into the battery is only 34kW? Perhaps the overhead of the electronics are only 85% efficient?

I believe Tesla stated 80% (IIRC).
I also see around 34kW on my 2.5

I thought that 80% included the battery itself and heat losses therein, i.e. net effect on range due to regen. The meter is in front of the battery, so you're measuring what goes in, not what gets stored. The electronics themselves should be much better than 80%, no?