Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Arkansas?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I live in Northwest Arkansas. A week or so after I placed my order, I was asked by Tesla where I'd recommend Superchargers in the state. I suggested Little Rock and the Ft Smith area. I take delivery next week. I'll be sure to inquire on developments/plans for 2016.

I will be traveling to Northwest Arkansas next weekend, figure I can just make it from OKC if I manage my speed correctly.
There is a a HPWC at the hotel in Bentonville.
Probably will also visit Eureka Springs for a quick day trip if the weather is nice, or at least dry.

Very disappointed the Southeast Region has been so overlooked, and neglected in 2015 as far as implementation of Superchargers.
Current maps indicate very little progress and fulfillment compared to previous versions of the same Maps.
I-20 connection/build-out just isn't going to happen this year.

Maybe the Maps are finally going to be a lot more realistic in their depiction of "next step" goals.

And yes, I have voiced my full comments in Letters to Tesla about how slow the development has been in developing this Region in relation to the previous Maps.

Nashville to Memphis is doable in 85kW/hr or greater cars at reasonable speeds. There are a couple of public j1772 chargers available if things get tight.

Definitely longer than ideal, though, and east Nashville to downtown Memphis probably not going to happen, An SC between the two cities is needed, but one between Memphis and St. Louis is needed even more.

And don't get me started about westbound. It'll take at least 2-3 to get anywhere in that direction.

It's almost as disturbing as the failure to make any progress whatsoever toward closing the I-10 gap from Tucson to San Antonio *that was forecast for completion since late 2014 in the 2015 and now 2016 maps*.

There are glaring gaps in coverage left neglected, and only one is even remotely defensible:

1) Arkansas
2) I-10 from Tucson to San Antonio - the *only* transcontinental route that does not require chains in winter (or AWD) *is* I-10. This is a safety concern as much as anything else.
3) British Columbia to Alaska

Given that an SC has been permit-ed in the middle of BFE on the opposite end of the country (see the top of Maine and then hang a right), it is mystifying from either a cost of sales standpoint or from a sales and marketing standpoint that exactly ZERO progress has been made toward closing the Tucson to San Antonio gap.

The only thing more odd is the Arkansas strikeout. Surely the car dealership lobby/NADA effort is no more pronounced in Arkansas than it is in the good ol' boy cabals of Texas, New Mexico and Arizona... Maybe Elon dislikes Walmart. Who knows?

More SCs have opened in China this year than are even sited, let alone permitted or under construction in the aforementioned areas.

Perhaps it is time for a grass roots owners' email campaign to continue to recommend good sites for said SCs. To do that in a helpful manner, it would take engaging management (probably regional if a chain) multiple times to begin cordial conversations about the benefits of hosting an SC (average of $10-$12 spent per car per visit, brand cross-marketing cachet, and so forth), and to then send proper contact information to the Supercharging teams either using the form on the TM website or via email so that they can follow up as time allows.

Nashville to Memphis is doable in 85kW/hr or greater cars at reasonable speeds. There are a couple of public j1772 chargers available if things get tight.

Definitely longer than ideal, though, and east Nashville to downtown Memphis probably not going to happen, An SC between the two cities is needed, but one between Memphis and St. Louis is needed even more.

And don't get me started about westbound. It'll take at least 2-3 to get anywhere in that direction.

I don't know, in my p85 I had at least ~80-90% charge leaving the nissan chademo charger in memphis with 1 passenger doing ~75mph and I ended up driving ~50-55mph on 840 and got to brentwood with 5-10 miles left. Closest I've been and the chademo is fast but still not as fast as the supercharger. After that I decided to just drive the 4runner to memphis/AR when I need. It'd be one thing if there were some chademo's in shopping malls or what not but to have to go to a nissan dealer, get them to turn it on, and then be nowhere near anything for ~1.5 hours is not appealing.

If there was at least a supercharger in jackson I'm sure I could find a hotel with a destination charger in little rock and be fine.

Jackson, TN, Correct?
(For travelling West from Nashville toward Memphis.)

Yes, a new Supercharger near Jackson, TN would probably be the best location for that portion of I-40.

Yup Jackson, I think that's where its "planned" on the supercharger map, but don't think anyone has found any open permits so I wouldn't be shocked if we ended up not getting it until 2017 at this point...

K
Yup Jackson, I think that's where its "planned" on the supercharger map, but don't think anyone has found any open permits so I wouldn't be shocked if we ended up not getting it until 2017 at this point...

Keep Hope alive.

I think that recent developments with Model 3 Reservations (nearly 400K in two weeks) might incentivize Tesla Motors to loosen some strings and whittle away at the Arkansas Supercharger desert.

Pearl, MS (just East of Jackson,MS) is completed. And no one even knew it had been permitted: it just showed up like the stork had just dropped it off.
Lindale, TX is under construction, Sweetwater and Cisco, TX are permitted all part of the I-20 route.

Catoosa, OK, Springfield, MO and Rolla, MO are permitted on I-44.

AND Sulphur Springs, TX is permitted -- criss-cross Texas to Memphis on I-30//I-40 via Little Rock.

Are there some sort of state regulations which are preventing even the planning of a Supercharger in Arkansas?

Seeing all the new permits and construction surrounding but not in the state is very curious.
They are building into Arkansas. Not going to put 1 in the middle of Arkansas when you cant get to it from outside of Arkansas. So I think you will see Texarkana and/or Memphis next and then Little Rock.

Reactions: jvonbokel
They are building into Arkansas. Not going to put 1 in the middle of Arkansas when you cant get to it from outside of Arkansas. So I think you will see Texarkana and/or Memphis next and then Little Rock.

I understand what your saying but still weird they can't plan 3 at the same time.. Why get 1 done just to start even the permit process on another? It's possible like some of the other superchargers that they already have it permitted and in process and might pull a rabbit out of the hat, but odds point to not being started yet.