Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hidden 72 amp charging option

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Cosmacelf

Supporting Member
Mar 6, 2013
San Diego
Very important for all those configuring their Model X production model. The regular model X comes with a 48 amp on board charger. You can choose an option to get your Model X with a 72 amp charger instead for an extra $1000. This will allow you to charge at higher speed if you are using a high powered HPWC or J1772 station.

The option is hidden as an Easter egg in the main configuration screen. See this post for more info:

Poll: Would you pay for a higher power Model X charger? - Page 5

The higher power on board charger is not related to Supercharging, it only affects charging using an AC power source. Note that Signature Model Xs come with the 72 amp charger standard.

Last edited:
Stupid of Tesla to hide that option. Very important to know it's there and decide whether or not it's worthwhile for yourself.

i'm waiting for someone to sue Tesla for hiding that option under some sort of consumer fraud protection laws. once people find out that was available and that they were deceived and are permanently stuck (not retrofitable) with the slow charger and on top of that the value of their car is less all because Tesla hid the better 72amp charging option from you .... that's going to *really* piss them off. I think it's a valid case.

TexasEV or anyone else: do you know if the 72amp charging option is still priced at only $1,000 as some have said? I thought I had read $2,000. And does that option still cause delay in delivery of the X?
WOW..if $2,000/ is confirmed by others then it goes with Tesla's policy to discourage 72 amp. I was yesterday at the Tesla showroom and the sales person was dead against it.She was justifying her argument why we should not opt for it hence it is a hidden option on the configuration page. I had made up my mind to get it on my X anyway. Will await for confirmation for the TMC members who have access to the design studio.

WOW..if $2,000/ is confirmed by others then it goes with Tesla's policy to discourage 72 amp. I was yesterday at the Tesla showroom and the sales person was dead against it.She was justifying her argument why we should not opt for it hence it is a hidden option on the configuration page. I had made up my mind to get it on my X anyway. Will await for confirmation for the TMC members who have access to the design studio.

It is still showing as $1000.

That's just odd. A sales person should give you the information, pros and cons, and let you make a decision on what is right for you.

I'm getting the 72A as it is standard in founder's and sig's, but you bet I'd pay $1k for it otherwise.

Did you ask her why Tesla gives out 80A HPWCs to destination charging locations if they're discouraging 72A chargers in favor of 48A? There is no downside to ordering a 72A charger, other than the $1000 which is in the ballpark of 1% of the price of the car. It's not like dual charger option in the S that you can decide on later, this decision is final. Anyone's who thinks 72A charging won't potentially be useful on trips has drunk too much of Tesla's supercharger kool-aid.

Did you ask her why Tesla gives out 80A HPWCs to destination charging locations if they're discouraging 72A chargers in favor of 48A? There is no downside to ordering a 72A charger, other than the $1000 which is in the ballpark of 1% of the price of the car. It's not like dual charger option in the S that you can decide on later, this decision is final. Anyone's who thinks 72A charging won't potentially be useful on trips has drunk too much of Tesla's supercharger kool-aid.
I did not ask her why, she was saying that home charging and Supercharging stations should be enough...As i knew i was getting 72amp so i did not pursue it.