Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Wytheville, VA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Lanny

Nov 29, 2011
MD
WythevilleVA_SCmap.png

A permit has been issued for a Supercharger at 165 Malin Dr., Wytheville, VA. (map link)

There's a Holiday Inn Express, Waffle House, Shoney’s and Peking Chinese shown nearby on the map.

-Lanny

Fun fact: near Wytheville there's a stretch of Interstate that combines I-77 and I-81. It's a wrong-way concurrency, with I-81N and I-77S and vice versa. In fact it's a double wrong-way concurrency because it's also considered to have two US highways.

Some location stats...

Interstates: I-77, I-81
US highways: US-11, US-52
(Concurrency of the 4).

Nearest Superchargers and Diversion:
I-77:
S: Charlotte, NC (Open). 132 miles
N: None. 378 miles from the end (Cleveland)
Diversion: 1 mile.
I-81:
S: None. 149 miles form the start (Dandridge)
N: Lexingon, VA (Permit). 109 miles
Diversion: <1 mile

Last edited:
Nearest Superchargers and Diversion:
I-77:
S: Charlotte, NC (Open). 132 miles
N: None. 378 miles from the end (Cleveland)
Diversion: 1 mile.
I-81:
S: None. 149 miles form the start (Dandridge)
N: Lexingon, VA (Permit). 109 miles
Diversion: <1 mile

I think it's fair and functional to say that on I-81 South the next stop is Knoxville TN on I-40 at about 195 miles.
I assume that another SC on I-81 at about the I-26 interchange (Colonial Heights?) will be hot on the heels of this one and Lexington to split that distance in two.

Awesome, obviates the Blacksburg, VA public CHAdeMO detour when crossing the EV desert of WV I-77 N to S.

- - - Updated - - -

Fun fact: near Wytheville there's a stretch of Interstate that combines I-77 and I-81. It's a wrong-way concurrency, with I-81N and I-77S and vice versa. In fact it's a double wrong-way concurrency because it's also considered to have two US highways...

And never ever find yourself there on a Friday or Saturday during Myrtle Beach season or you will spend hours in jams, then speed up and get caught on the Million Dollar Mile, soon even the firefighters will start ticketing there, one day I counted two city cops, a sheriff, and three statskys.

So now that Lexington is under construction, does Wytheville have to wait until Lexington SC is completed? I wonder if the same construction team will work this site.

As far as I know, each site is contracted independently. Who knows whether the same contractor will do both. The contractors seem to be very closed mouth these days, per Tesla direction.