Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

70kWh Model X? Really?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Gotcha - when I first read the 1st comments below the OP, the European Community had no such showing on their configuration menu (according to their posts) & as far as I knew, there was going to be no offering below 90 kWh. So, like with the onboard charger confusion I was hoping to see if in fact the offering of a 70 kWh pack was as real as it looked on the Tesla configuration menu .... or if someone was just messing with us vis a vis Photoshop.
I really can't reconcile that smaller offering in the heavy SUV, as I stated earlier - regardless of whether or not it's something way down the road. Tesla's marketing to date has suggested there was more profit in larger packs, & that more customers were willing/available at a higher cost (bigger pack) than what a lower cost vehicle would yield for the amount of sales.

Last edited:
SUV today is a family city bus / taxi, not an offroad dirt track or vacation trailer. 70 kwh here makes total sense to me and will stretch the (what I understand is currently a very limited) battery supply.

Last edited:
Gotcha - when I first read the 1st comments below the OP, the European Community had no such showing on their configuration menu (according to their posts) & as far as I knew, there was going to be no offering below 90 kWh. So, like with the onboard charger confusion I was hoping to see if in fact the offering of a 70 kWh pack was as real as it looked on the Tesla configuration menu .... or if someone was just messing with us vis a vis Photoshop.
I really can't reconcile that smaller offering in the heavy SUV, as I stated earlier - regardless of whether or not it's something way down the road. Tesla's marketing to date has suggested there was more profit in larger packs, & that more customers were willing/available at a higher cost (bigger pack) than what a lower cost vehicle would yield for the amount of sales.

The 70 KWh configuration is confirmed, and Tesla will start its deliveries in "mid to late 2016" to ship some of the more profitable cars first.

The range issue is not a big deal, because this "heavy SUV" is not all that much heavier than what is already a pretty heavy sedan. Energy use ought to be slightly higher, but Tesla is advertising 220 miles of range for the 70 KWh option... essentially enough for all but long-distance travel needs.

Note that the configuration Tesla cancelled for lack of demand was the 40 KWh battery, not the 60 KWh.

Actually the 70 and 90 pack were created in preparation of the Model X coming out so that Model X could have ranges in the ballpark of the then existing Model S 60 and 85.
Actually, and I am too lazy to google this now, I seem to remember the 60 to 70 jump is just "more of the same", but the 90 has the new enhanced cells.

I was a bit surprised when they announced the Model X 70 as I was thinking it will be a 75 (with the new cells). Whenever Elon was asked about a cheaper X he was always a little vague and said "something like a 70 is coming out later next year".

Of course mid 2016 is still far out and they could do a free upgrade to 75 between now and start of production, should that be the original plan.

Actually, and I am too lazy to google this now, I seem to remember the 60 to 70 jump is just "more of the same", but the 90 has the new enhanced cells.

I was a bit surprised when they announced the Model X 70 as I was thinking it will be a 75 (with the new cells). Whenever Elon was asked about a cheaper X he was always a little vague and said "something like a 70 is coming out later next year".

Of course mid 2016 is still far out and they could do a free upgrade to 75 between now and start of production, should that be the original plan.
Thanks for adding Elon's deleted tweet regarding the size of the smaller pack. Spaced that tidbit. Kinda imprtant though as it's pretty much the basis of the theory that there will be a larger small pack. ;-)

The range issue is not a big deal, because this "heavy SUV" is not all that much heavier than what is already a pretty heavy sedan. Energy use ought to be slightly higher, but Tesla is advertising 220 miles of range for the 70 KWh option... essentially enough for all but long-distance travel needs.

In addition, the smaller X70D pack will be more efficient (due to the lower battery weight) than the X90D, just like the Model-S. At 220 miles range, this will be plenty for almost everyone, 98% of the time. Having a 2nd vehicle for the other 2% (or renting) could be an acceptable situation for most.