Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does it make sense to reserve a Model 3 asap if you want a base version?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm as excited as anyone here that March 2016 is so close that I can taste it. I was ready to reserve a production Model 3 within the next minutes of the reveal because I didn't want to wait more than necessary.The recent release of configuration details of the Model X, though, made me wonder if it will be worth it. It seems that Model X delivery dates will depend heavily on the configuration you choose (P90D early 2016, 90D mid 2016 and 70D late 2016). So, for the ones waiting to buy a lightly spec'd Model 3 like me, these news cooled down the excitement a little bit.

I'll reserve one, for sure, but I'm no longer eager to do it on the same week 'cause I know I'll be kicked at the end of the line when the configurator goes live. First-point-five world problems.

I'm as excited as anyone here that March 2016 is so close that I can taste it. I was ready to reserve a production Model 3 within the next minutes of the reveal because I didn't want to wait more than necessary.The recent release of configuration details of the Model X, though, made me wonder if it will be worth it. It seems that Model X delivery dates will depend heavily on the configuration you choose (P90D early 2016, 90D mid 2016 and 70D late 2016). So, for the ones waiting to buy a lightly spec'd Model 3 like me, these news cooled down the excitement a little bit.

I'll reserve one, for sure, but I'm no longer eager to do it on the same week 'cause I know I'll be kicked at the end of the line when the configurator goes live. First-point-five world problems.

Considering that reservations are fully refundable I'd reserve whether you wanted the most tricked out, or the least tricked out version.

That said, anything anyone says is all conjecture until late March most likely.

Last edited:
If you're really eager to get one as soon as you can, then reserve ASAP. You may change your mind over the next two years and decide you want something higher spec.

Personally, I'm not that concerned about being first. I'll wait until the initial wave of deliveries is over before I put down a deposit.

You can see my reflection on this in this post.

But, what you get when you reserve early is that you will be first in line among those that order a similar configured car in your region.

I know, I'm just not that excited about the reveal. I was planning to stay awake and refresh the website tirelessly until the option to reserve was available but some of that excitement went away with what we learned about Model X configurator.

Nevertheless, let's hope Model 3 is a hottie and they start production sooner than expected, that would be awesome.

Personally, I'm not that concerned about being first. I'll wait until the initial wave of deliveries is over before I put down a deposit.

I think it's generally smart to wait a bit... But here they are planing on introduce VAT on BEV's from 2018 - but with some kind of a refund of the entire amount - but with a "roof". This roof would be high enough in 2018 to be of no concern for the Model 3, but is probably targeted on the TMS/X and cars in that price range. But this roof will be lowered each year so the refund is to be completely phased out after 2020(?), so getting into 2019 or 2020 may make the car much more expensive. Maybe I can get the car cheapest by adding enough options so I can get it in 2018 and not 2019?

- - - Updated - - -

I know, I'm just not that excited about the reveal. I was planning to stay awake and refresh the website tirelessly until the option to reserve was available but some of that excitement went away with what we learned about Model X configurator.

It was some of the same with Model S, but not so much as now. But I do think that the delay for the lower priced TM3 configurations will not be as long as in this case with the Model X. Two month to one quarter instead of half a year?

I may hold off as well, and put what would have been the reserve amount into more SCTY stock while it is down. Between scrimping and saving and stock profits I was going to just barely make it to $35k by launch but now I'm so far underwater I might have to wait another year or 2 anyway.

I plan on reserving both base and sig version. You can cancel the one you do not want later at negligible cost.
Should be a full refund (ie, no cost, not "negligible"). If you cancelled an S or X reservation, you got a full refund (well, ignoring opportunity cost on the funds you lent to Tesla for free).

I might do the same - one car needs replacing soon; the other could go another couple of years.

Long time reader, first time poster!

I found this from the Model X reservation agreements. It looks like Tesla has the discretion to establish or change the sequence in reservations??? Maybe they do this for founders or early employees?... Does anyone know if they give you the sequence number when pre ordering?? I am eagerly awaiting the Model 3!

"7. PriorityWe will establish your reservation sequence position in our solediscretion. We may decline reservations to avoid over-subscription or aswe deem appropriate in our sole discretion. If your reservation isdeclined, you will be notified and your Reservation Payment will berefunded."

Link: https://my.teslamotors.com/sites/default/files/blog_attachments/20120803-model_x_agreement-us-pdf_0.pdf