Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SyFy's Most Excellent New Series "The Expanse" Full Episode Preview

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for posting. As someone who has read tons of sci-fi for decades, it is good to see SyFy returning to their roots and offering "space stuff", instead of what I considered to be less interesting themes. Childhood's End should be great as well.

This looks like it is based on the books of James S.A. Corey who I think also writes under the alias Daniel Abraham. The Expanse books and novellas are very good hard Sci Fi, whereas his Abraham books are more fantasy but also very good. He is quite prolific and is producing fun reads at a good clip.

I have read all of his Expanse books, Long Price Quartet, and The Dagger and the Coin novels.

Here is his website :
Danielabraham.com | Books by Daniel Abraham, James S.A. Corey and M.L.N. Hanov

Edit:
Daniel Abraham is his real name, with James Corey a nom de plume shared with Ty Franck. Together, they are the executive producers of the show, so it should follow the original vision of the written word quite well.

Last edited:
FWIW, I've watched all the eps so far. It was a bit confusing at first and I don't like how they jump around between different scenes all the time. I really did like the CQB ep and liked the Martian scenes in Remember the Cant.

The next two eps that air the night of 2/2/16 will be the season finale.

It looks like they're also doing a marathon on that day, rerunning all the eps prior to the finale, in the event you don't want to watch via their web site. Set your DVRs/PVRs/TiVos.

The Expanse – Watch Online | Syfy does have recaps, but don't go there if you haven't seen many eps yet. I have watched some of the Inside the Expanse: Episdode n videos. Be careful about spoilers there as well!

There's some discussion at http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=534385.

Also, SyFy Channel Renews 'The Expanse' for a More Expansive Second Season.

I've not read any of the books it was based on and am unfamiliar w/any of the cast or folks involved w/the show's production.

Last edited:
Wait, last night was the season finale? I need more!

I love the way the got the science right. Gravity, changes to the body of Belters. The only thing they got wrong was THERE'S NO SOUND IN SPACE! Sorry. Pet peeve of mine. Firefly got that right.

This reminded me a lot of Cowboy Bebop (An anime SciFi from about 20 years ago centered around a team of shady bounty hunters living in an era where humanity had colonized the solar system) in terms of the general atmosphere, body count, and characters.

The use of confusing flashbacks which are later explained is very similar. Also, Detective Miller losing his job and hanging up his hat before striking out on his own instantly brought back memories of Jet Black, who wore a hat as an ISSP cop, but typically not as a bounty hunter.

Overall an entertaining series.

Wow - what a season opener!

Just ran across this:

Caltech Hosts "The Science Behind The Expanse" Panel | Caltech

On January 25, 2017, Caltech and JPL scientists, and the cast, crew, and producers of the popular Syfy series The Expanse teamed up at Caltech for a panel discussion of the science behind the show and the importance of getting everything right, from the appearance of planets to the effects of extreme gravity on humans.

I've only watched the excerpts in the article, plan to watch the full thing this weekend:

• Love
Reactions: RobStark
Picked this up during lunch today.

IMG_9748.jpg IMG_9749.jpg

Reactions: RobStark
Oh, hey! Glad I checked the TV listings. Season premier is this evening.
Yep.

is a preview that has mostly/all scenes I haven't seen before. I'd imagine for some folks, S3 E1 is about to air soon or has already aired.

From the listings I saw on my TiVo, it looks like it'll be rerun numerous times between today and next Wednesday, when S3 ep 2 airs.