Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

high energy use

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,
I've had my S85D since August. Today was the coldest day yet; about 34 degrees.

Normally when I drive I notice the average energy usage is about 250-325 Wh/mi.
I have never seen it go above 350 unless I punch it and drive very aggressive.

Today, I saw it go above 480 Wh/mi and consistently stay above 400. It eventually came down to the low 300s.
Is this normal in cold weather? Since I live in New Hampshire I can expect temps in the single digits.

I just thought I'd ask you folks whether this is normal.

thanks in advance.

Hi,
I've had my S85D since August. Today was the coldest day yet; about 34 degrees.

Normally when I drive I notice the average energy usage is about 250-325 Wh/mi.
I have never seen it go above 350 unless I punch it and drive very aggressive.

Today, I saw it go above 480 Wh/mi and consistently stay above 400. It eventually came down to the low 300s.
Is this normal in cold weather? Since I live in New Hampshire I can expect temps in the single digits.

I just thought I'd ask you folks whether this is normal.

thanks in advance.

Saz25, You might find this a very helpful link from a Canadian forum member who has driven thru several cold winters.
http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/entry.php/194-Cold-Weather-Driving

You also may want to repost this to a Model S thread not the Model X area

Last edited:
Yes the weather makes a big difference. Once the battery gets too cold it needs to be heated which is draining energy. Once the battery has reached a decent temperature, the battery heater will turn off and the energy usage will drop down again. If you drive short distances and then park the car (where it cools down again) and then drive again, you will always have a high energy usage. Cold temperatures definitely costs extra energy.
A normal ICE car produces a lot of heat which is very wasteful but it comes in handy in winter where the excess heat is actually useful. An EV, that is much more efficient and doesn't produce much heat under normal operation has to provide the extra heat needed in winter using the main battery.

Yes. Cold weather will significantly reduce your range. If it works for your schedule, turn on smart preconditioning, which will warm the cabin and the battery while plugged in. That will help reduce the amount of battery energy used to heat the battery itself.

Yes. Cold weather will significantly reduce your range. If it works for your schedule, turn on smart preconditioning, which will warm the cabin and the battery while plugged in. That will help reduce the amount of battery energy used to heat the battery itself.

Smart Preconditioning won't help when my car is parked in a cold parking lot at work all day. True?
Should I remotely (via the app) turn on the heat before I walk to my car (5-10 minute walk) to heat it up for a while?
Is that a good thing?

Thanks

Smart Preconditioning won't help when my car is parked in a cold parking lot at work all day. True?
Should I remotely (via the app) turn on the heat before I walk to my car (5-10 minute walk) to heat it up for a while?
Is that a good thing?

Smart preconditioning is supposed to, but it's not all that reliable yet. Using the App works just fine. Note that if you are plugged in shore power will be used rather than battery power.