Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear Handle Grabbing Me

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All,

Maybe there is a post about this already somewhere (if so I'm sorry).

The rear outside door handle has become grabby. Twice today it tried to close when I was attempting to open the door. This is happening when I get out of the car (driver's seat) and go back there to let the dog out - so it's a matter of a few seconds total. Note: It was very cold (for Nashville) today for the first time since I've owned the car - maybe the handles don't like the chill?

Any thoughts?

Thanks.
Tim

Glad to see I'm not alone.

I get out of the driver side door and close it then reach for the left rear door handle (which is extended) and pull. Door does not open and the handle starts to retract.

After retracting it immediately re-extends and I can open the door.

Does not happen every time.

And has yet to happen when I've tried to demonstrate the glitch to the service center. :)

Exact same thing happens to me.

Glad to see I'm not alone.

I get out of the driver side door and close it then reach for the left rear door handle (which is extended) and pull. Door does not open and the handle starts to retract.

After retracting it immediately re-extends and I can open the door.

Does not happen every time.

And has yet to happen when I've tried to demonstrate the glitch to the service center. :)

I've had this since the beginning and even after Tesla replaced this handle. It happens regularly but I can never get it to happen when Tesla is investigating and they conclude that it is working normally.

Please let us know if anyone finds the cause for this so we can all convince Tesla to fix this.

VERY interesting thread. I just took mine to the service center for the exact same issue. I've had the rear driver-side door do it fairly regularly and the front driver-side door do it only a couple of times. They've replaced the rear door handle a month ago and the door control module just today. This DOES NOT seem like a hardware issue based on the comments noticing it after 7.0 and my experience with basically all new hardware. I'm going to forward this thread to my service center, maybe they can get somewhere with some more VIN's to reference. Thanks for posting this.

I also give you two videos documenting the issue. I start recording once I realize the door isn't going to open:

http://goo.gl/photos/aY2myDLPAqs4URMV91
http://goo.gl/photos/oKG16YnxvQZJLhCTA

Last edited:
VERY interesting thread. I just took mine to the service center for the exact same issue. I've had the rear driver-side door do it fairly regularly and the front driver-side door do it only a couple of times. They've replaced the rear door handle a month ago and the door control module just today. This DOES NOT seem like a hardware issue based on the comments noticing it after 7.0 and my experience with basically all new hardware. I'm going to forward this thread to my service center, maybe they can get somewhere with some more VIN's to reference. Thanks for posting this.

I also give you two videos documenting the issue. I start recording once I realize the door isn't going to open:

http://goo.gl/photos/aY2myDLPAqs4URMV91
http://goo.gl/photos/oKG16YnxvQZJLhCTA

Please suggest to Tesla to update the phone app to include bug reporting feature for the app and also the car separately via the app with feature to include photos and video via the app. That would be an awesome way to document and log the problems officially and they could via their database see the problems to see the bigger picture rather than just the affected car.
The car hopefully should be able to sense the owners phone via the app and in future should be able to automatically adjust the seat for that persons profile.
This auto adjustment of the seat via sensing which phone is near driver door would especially be useful for couples whose heights and seating positions are different. If wife is shorter and moves the seat forward then husband had to struggle to get into seat before can change seating profile on screen. Problem could be avoided if the car could sense the drivers phone via the app and auto adjust seat for that person (via sensing their phone) and also auto present door handle.
Another benefit of sensing phone via app would be for security purposes where they could just unlock only the door for the driver seat and not the rest providing car jacking avoidance features as already present in other cars where only drivers door opens first and additional input needed from driver to unlock other doors. Such anti car jacking features are security measures provided in other cars already to prevent situations in the dark in car parking lots where people can crouch next to passenger seat waiting for car to be unlocked by driver at night. Useful feature for ladies (and men) as a security option in other cars for many years. Had it on my old Nissan a decade ago.

Please suggest to Tesla to update the phone app to include bug reporting feature for the app and also the car separately via the app with feature to include photos and video via the app. That would be an awesome way to document and log the problems officially and they could via their database see the problems to see the bigger picture rather than just the affected car.
The car hopefully should be able to sense the owners phone via the app and in future should be able to automatically adjust the seat for that persons profile.
This auto adjustment of the seat via sensing which phone is near driver door would especially be useful for couples whose heights and seating positions are different. If wife is shorter and moves the seat forward then husband had to struggle to get into seat before can change seating profile on screen. Problem could be avoided if the car could sense the drivers phone via the app and auto adjust seat for that person (via sensing their phone) and also auto present door handle.
Another benefit of sensing phone via app would be for security purposes where they could just unlock only the door for the driver seat and not the rest providing car jacking avoidance features as already present in other cars where only drivers door opens first and additional input needed from driver to unlock other doors. Such anti car jacking features are security measures provided in other cars already to prevent situations in the dark in car parking lots where people can crouch next to passenger seat waiting for car to be unlocked by driver at night. Useful feature for ladies (and men) as a security option in other cars for many years. Had it on my old Nissan a decade ago.

Two points in case you're not aware:

• Current MS has a built-in ability to report a bug using voice activation (single touch of the steering wheel button) which records a voice transcript, takes snapshots of displays and logs and fires it all off to Tesla for their perusal. It uses the Tesla's built-in data service, and does not require a person to have their own cell phone or to even take their eyes off the road. That reporting mechanism of course is in addition to email, 7x24 phone and Service Center.
  • Elon recently requested input on future firmware updates via Twitter; Additionally, approx 300 folks here on TMC in the past few weeks went through a process to gather requests for futures, prioritize, and a couple of great folks here on the board are doing the consolidation to send it off to Tesla for consideration. I'll let you do the search to find the discussion and summary in other threads. Having a phone tie to a vehicle profile was one of those suggestions.

Last edited:
Not to get too off topic, but driver profiles for each key fob was already suggested which would address his most excellent suggestion regarding two drivers sharing model S. My solution is far more simple, I never let the wife drive.

Any other door handle examples like the videos I posted? I have an engineering case open with Tesla and id like to get to the bottom of this one for myself as well as the rest of you.

Just as a note that whenever I run into issues like this, I email the photos/videos to my service center. Presumably they do something with that since it helps detail the issue.

Two points in case you're not aware:

• Current MS has a built-in ability to report a bug using voice activation (single touch of the steering wheel button) which records a voice transcript, takes snapshots of displays and logs and fires it all off to Tesla for their perusal. It uses the Tesla's built-in data service, and does not require a person to have their own cell phone or to even take their eyes off the road. That reporting mechanism of course is in addition to email, 7x24 phone and Service Center.
  • Elon recently requested input on future firmware updates via Twitter; Additionally, approx 300 folks here on TMC in the past few weeks went through a process to gather requests for futures, prioritize, and a couple of great folks here on the board are doing the consolidation to send it off to Tesla for consideration. I'll let you do the search to find the discussion and summary in other threads. Having a phone tie to a vehicle profile was one of those suggestions.

Thanks for the reminder about the voice bug reporting feature, think might have seen something briefly a while back on one of byorn Tesla videos but had forgotten about it.

Since it happened after 7.0 AI upgrade I think your car is just trying to be friendly.

And normally I'd appreciate any effort on behalf of the car to be friendly. But when your six year old get's his finger pinched, then in a mix of 50% surprise / 50% genuine pain, begins to cry... that's where the the situation escalates from mild-amusement to moderately rising frustration.

Hopefully the open engineering case and more data from others on this thread experiencing similar issues will yield a rapid solution. Again, door handle and module were replaced so as much as I hate to say it, we may be chasing down a software problem.

- - - Updated - - -

Just as a note that whenever I run into issues like this, I email the photos/videos to my service center. Presumably they do something with that since it helps detail the issue.

Please see my previous post, they were the first to get the videos as always. I posted them here as well so as to find others with the exact same issue since it's very specific.