Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wait at Superchargers on thankgiving?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all:
Relatively new (and very happy) 85D owner. Planning to drive up from NC to DC area on Thanksgiving AM with family. Not having road tripped in Tesla before, what are the chances of lines/crowds at the superchargers during a busy holdiay travel day? Either going up on Thursday or coming back on Sunday AM? Relevant ones woudl be South Hill, VA and Richmond, VA.

Hey HeartDocMD,

Given the number of stalls at both South Hill and Richmond, (6 and 8 I believe), and their locations, I wouldn't expect there to be a wait or other issues at them. If by chance there is one, the turnover will be high, so you would be in quickly. The next two DC chargers at Potomac Mills, and Bethesda, will be a pain, Potomac Mills because of the holiday shoppers in the area grid-locking the area, and Bethesda both for holiday shoppers and because it only has two chargers.

Peter

Keep an eye on plugshare check ins. Tesla owners are not as good as typical EV owners to check in when they charge but some do.

I also remember during my delivery being told that if you use the trip planner the cars talks to the supercharger network and plans your trip charging based on how busy the super chargers will be.

I've taken a couple of trips and the only time I had to wait was in silicone valley where there are more Teslas driving around. And even then I only had to wait 5 minutes.

Keep an eye on plugshare check ins. Tesla owners are not as good as typical EV owners to check in when they charge but some do.

I also remember during my delivery being told that if you use the trip planner the cars talks to the supercharger network and plans your trip charging based on how busy the super chargers will be.

I've taken a couple of trips and the only time I had to wait was in silicone valley where there are more Teslas driving around. And even then I only had to wait 5 minutes.

This is not yet true. Perhaps a future software update, but at this time, doesn't matter how busy a SC is.

Hi all:
Relatively new (and very happy) 85D owner. Planning to drive up from NC to DC area on Thanksgiving AM with family. Not having road tripped in Tesla before, what are the chances of lines/crowds at the superchargers during a busy holdiay travel day? Either going up on Thursday or coming back on Sunday AM? Relevant ones woudl be South Hill, VA and Richmond, VA.

Greetings!! Accepting delivery next Friday, and look forward to meeting you.