Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone tried Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06 tires?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know there has been a bunch of discussion about the Pirelli Cinturato P7 AS tires but I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with the ExtremeContact DWS 06 tires.

I have always had high regard for the ExtremeContact DWS tires and it seems the "06" variant is an improved version of the regular DWS tire. The DWS 06 seems to have excellent reviews. On the North East I want a tire that can handle dry, wet, and most importantly snow conditions as well as possible and I feel the ExtremeContact DWS 06 will offer better winter driving safety than the Cinturato P7. I

'd love to hear feedback from anyone who has any experience with this tire.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Continental&tireModel=ExtremeContact+DWS+06

i'll be getting a set for the rears in my new setup on 22"....can't get for the fronts as they don't come in 255/30/22 size

Thanks! Please let us know how you like them. Do you see any adverse effects in mixing front and rear tires?

- - - Updated - - -

Drucifer has this at the top of his short list to try next. Given his current mileage though, it will be a while till he actually gets the tires though.

Thanks for the update! The DWS 06 seems to have good reviews from Audi, BMW, and Mercedes customers on Tire Rack and the price seems reasonable...

I'll have to check about the 06 version, but I did use the Continental ExtremeContact DWS for my 3 Season tires last spring, summer and Autumn and they were great. We had snow several times in the spring so it was nice to have them for those weather events. I am using the Michelin Ice3's for my Winter Tires because I did not feel the DWS were quite "grippy" enough for full blown Winter tires. The Michelin Ice3's are a great winter tire but are not squirrely when on dry pavement, like a more beefy tred could be.

I'll have to check about the 06 version, but I did use the Continental ExtremeContact DWS for my 3 Season tires last spring, summer and Autumn and they were great. We had snow several times in the spring so it was nice to have them for those weather events. I am using the Michelin Ice3's for my Winter Tires because I did not feel the DWS were quite "grippy" enough for full blown Winter tires. The Michelin Ice3's are a great winter tire but are not squirrely when on dry pavement, like a more beefy tred could be.

Let us know what you feel about the 06 variant of the DWS. It would be especially great to hear of someone trying out the DWS 06 in snow...

After using snow tires, I won't go back to all-seasons.

And, read below.

Except many of us in the north east manage just fine with All Season Tires and do not have the time to go to the effort and hassle of replacing tires twice a year... :)

Now if I lived in Norway I'd definitely get winter tires but I have to handle driving on snow maybe 20-25 days a year so the hassle of winter tires is not worth it.

I'd love to hear of anyone with personal experience with the DWS 06 tires as the reviews seem to suggest they might be better than the P7s, especially for winter driving.

The ExtremeContact DWS06 came to us earlier this year, and fared very well in our test (see results here). To be sure, we have not had any time with the tire in snowy conditions but Conti PROMISED us that the new DWS06 will have the same light snow capacity that its predecessor relied upon to differentiate it from the competition. Time will tell !

The ExtremeContact DWS06 came to us earlier this year, and fared very well in our test (see results here). To be sure, we have not had any time with the tire in snowy conditions but Conti PROMISED us that the new DWS06 will have the same light snow capacity that its predecessor relied upon to differentiate it from the competition. Time will tell !

Doc -- there seems to be some controversy over the safe temperature range of "all season" tires. While obviously not good for snow driving, I've always believed they're still good (safe) for cold-weather -- but dry-- driving above 0 degrees F. But other people are saying that "all season" tires aren't safe below 40 degrees F (or below freezing) because the rubber gets too hard. I just can't believe that based on what I've researched. Yes, I know that holds true for summer tires, but what do the "experts" say about running all-season tires in temps below freezing and dry (or very light snow) conditions?

Hank, I would be surprised at below 40*F but above 0 is unsafe. I have always had all seasons and taken my 4Runner in light/moderate snow many times without issue. Heck, even without inclement weather, my S is driving around with Goodyear Eagles and it was 34 degrees yesterday and today.

Hank, I would be surprised at below 40*F but above 0 is unsafe. I have always had all seasons and taken my 4Runner in light/moderate snow many times without issue. Heck, even without inclement weather, my S is driving around with Goodyear Eagles and it was 34 degrees yesterday and today.

Yeah, everyone has their own opinion and experience about all-season temps, so that's why I asked the expert.

I've read that report earlier and was impressed the DWS 06 performed almost as well as the Michelin Pilot Sport tires. I am especially interested in your review of the winter capability of this tire as that's an area I'm hoping the DWS 06 will shine and offer a better all around all season tire experience for most people. The other review I'm interested in is to get feedback about the DWS 06 tires from someone who puts them in a P85 or P85D. Seems there were issues with loosing traction with the P7 tires on a P85 but I suppose a P85D will be a bit more forgiving as the power is distributed to all 4 tires.

Not a Tesla, but I put these on my wife's 2012 Volvo XC60 R-Design in August. That car is a small AWD SUV, weighing 4277 lbs. It has 325hp and hits 60 mph in 5.6 seconds. The tires are the factory size 255/45-20s. I had the regular DWSes on my old M5 and my wife's old 530i so I am familiar with the previous generation. The first thing I noticed with the O6es is the firmer sidewall. They don't roll over quite the way the old DWSes did before they took a set. The trade-off is I think the 06 rides a bit firmer. The noise level of the 06 may be a bit higher or at least higher frequency (I detect a slight hollow sound over some surfaces). In short, I think they have taken a step toward performance with a small sacrifice in comfort and noise. After a couple of months, I am pleased with them overall and find myself hooning the XC around more.

As an aside, I like the way these tires look. Sorry, can't comment on snow.

Reactions: Cowby

Doc -- there seems to be some controversy over the safe temperature range of "all season" tires. While obviously not good for snow driving, I've always believed they're still good (safe) for cold-weather -- but dry-- driving above 0 degrees F. But other people are saying that "all season" tires aren't safe below 40 degrees F (or below freezing) because the rubber gets too hard. I just can't believe that based on what I've researched. Yes, I know that holds true for summer tires, but what do the "experts" say about running all-season tires in temps below freezing and dry (or very light snow) conditions?

Did we ever get an answer about DWS06 down to 0degF?

Do all season tires make any sense in a climate like SoCal or will the regular Continental Extreme Contact DW will be a better choice? I know an all season tire won't perform as well during braking and turns, but I care more for efficient tires that also perform above average.

I've had them on my Model S now for about a year through all kinds of weather conditions (including light snow and extreme cold) and I'm very happy with them. Mine are on 20" wheels and staggered. They are a great tire, not quite the performance of Pilot Sports but at the top of the heap for an all season tire. I know some folks have nothing but contempt for all season tires but in my experience they perform very well.