Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Xpel - recommendation for Melbourne

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm close to receiving delivery of my Model S (hopefully in the next couple of weeks) from the SC in Melbourne, and I'd like to get get a full wrap with Xpel (some idiot managed to rub up against the bumper of my current car and leave a nice big 30cm long scratch - so I want to avid any of that with the Model S).

I spoke to James at the Melbourne SC and he said that Tesla don't recommend anyone in particular, but from the forums it's pretty clear (no pun intended) that it's important to find someone who has experience of wrapping a Model S, and is known for high quality workmanship.

So, does anyone have any recommendations in Melbourne?

PS. The car is already booked in for Opticoat with Dans Detailing but not until early March, so I'd like to get the car wrapped ASAP (optionally paint corrected beforehand) and then Dan can Opticoat over the top.

You're going to Opticoat a body-wrapped car or Opticoat before body wrapping? I assume you're going for a clear coat?

I'm getting my Tesla Body-wrapped also, I'm in Melbourne and will take delivery of my car in the next few weeks also ;)

Most likely will go with the same guys that did the PowerShop Tesla...James has their number if you want to ask him for it...I've actually forgotten their contact details but I did call them many months ago and they seem to know their stuff....maybe you go get yours done which will then make my Tesla the third they'll have done :wink: hahaha

Puns aside they do seem to know their stuff....if in Sydney I would go with Provinyl without a doubt....they do all the Bentley's, Lambo's etc.....right next SC Sydney and have done Tesla's before...bit of a trip just to get a body-wrap considering they also take 5 days to wrap.

Xpel, is that a particular vinyl wrap brand?

-ECIT

I was (still am) a little unclear on that too :) ... wrap then Opticoat ... or ... Opticoat then wrap ... or Opticoat then wrap then Opticoat ... however, from what I understand putting the Opticoat on top of the wrap will provide extra protection to the wrap and the coating helps with keeping it clean etc.

Yes, just getting a clear coat and the wrap is (for me) purely to prevent dings and scratches and idiots in car parks.

It seems that Xpel is the current favourite in the forums followed by Suntek.

Thanks for the info, I'll have a word with James.

- - - Updated - - -

Basically it's a clear vinyl wrap for the car - you can also get coloured if that's your thing - it protects the paint from scratches, chipping etc and seems to be very popular in the US (especially where they use grit on the road rather than salt). I'm just sick of people rubbing up against my car in car parks and generally being idiots. It's too late for my current car, but I thought that I would give it a go with the Tesla since it's new.

I was (still am) a little unclear on that too :) ... wrap then Opticoat ... or ... Opticoat then wrap ... or Opticoat then wrap then Opticoat ... however, from what I understand putting the Opticoat on top of the wrap will provide extra protection to the wrap and the coating helps with keeping it clean etc.

Yes, just getting a clear coat and the wrap is (for me) purely to prevent dings and scratches and idiots in car parks.

It seems that Xpel is the current favourite in the forums followed by Suntek.

Thanks for the info, I'll have a word with James.

- - - Updated - - -

Basically it's a clear vinyl wrap for the car - you can also get coloured if that's your thing - it protects the paint from scratches, chipping etc and seems to be very popular in the US (especially where they use grit on the road rather than salt). I'm just sick of people rubbing up against my car in car parks and generally being idiots. It's too late for my current car, but I thought that I would give it a go with the Tesla since it's new.

I'm trying to imagine what a clear vinyl wrap would do to the look and surface feel of a car. My imagination does not go to pretty places! Obviously that is due to my ignorance about it. Does anyone have any photos of the end result?

I'm close to receiving delivery of my Model S (hopefully in the next couple of weeks) from the SC in Melbourne, and I'd like to get get a full wrap with Xpel (some idiot managed to rub up against the bumper of my current car and leave a nice big 30cm long scratch - so I want to avid any of that with the Model S).

I spoke to James at the Melbourne SC and he said that Tesla don't recommend anyone in particular, but from the forums it's pretty clear (no pun intended) that it's important to find someone who has experience of wrapping a Model S, and is known for high quality workmanship.
So, does anyone have any recommendations in Melbourne?
PS. The car is already booked in for Opticoat with Dans Detailing but not until early March, so I'd like to get the car wrapped ASAP (optionally paint corrected beforehand) and then Dan can Opticoat over the top.

We have a few installers in Australia, for a full list of them click: XPEL Australia

Please excuse my ignorance, but what is body wrapping?

Wrapping the entire vehicles painted surface with paint protection film aka Clear Bra. It helps protect the paint from rock chips, bug acids, bird droppings, etc. Helps the re-sell value, makes cleaning your car a breeze, and no more swirl marks thanks to the self-healing top coat of the film.

Its available to cover certain parts of the Tesla, or the whole thing. It depends what kind of coverage you are seeking.

Partial Coverage
Option1_BikinHoodFendersMirrorsBumper.jpg

Full Front End Coverage
Option2_FullHoodFendersMirrorsBumper.jpg

Full Car Coverage
3Option3_CompleteCar.jpg

You're going to Opticoat a body-wrapped car or Opticoat before body wrapping? I assume you're going for a clear coat?

I'm getting my Tesla Body-wrapped also, I'm in Melbourne and will take delivery of my car in the next few weeks also ;)

Most likely will go with the same guys that did the PowerShop Tesla...James has their number if you want to ask him for it...I've actually forgotten their contact details but I did call them many months ago and they seem to know their stuff....maybe you go get yours done which will then make my Tesla the third they'll have done :wink: hahaha

Puns aside they do seem to know their stuff....if in Sydney I would go with Provinyl without a doubt....they do all the Bentley's, Lambo's etc.....right next SC Sydney and have done Tesla's before...bit of a trip just to get a body-wrap considering they also take 5 days to wrap.

Xpel, is that a particular vinyl wrap brand?
-ECIT

XPEL is the leading edge in paint protection film aka "Clear Bra," Check how our film self-heals and protects your ride.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm trying to imagine what a clear vinyl wrap would do to the look and surface feel of a car. My imagination does not go to pretty places! Obviously that is due to my ignorance about it. Does anyone have any photos of the end result?

The film is optically clear, with no orange peel texture. So its virtually invisible. We have an install video of a '13 Tesla we did

Another one of our installers that did a full write up on a recent installation:Metropolitan Detail | | Tesla Model S | Full Wrap | Bellevue | Seattle | Kirkland | Redmond

This is from one of our customers that installed XPEL ULTIMATE on a P85 in Knoxville, Tennessee
Tesla P85 knox    @knox details Tesla P85 entire front end.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi XPEL

Could you clarify what one should do first?

• Should one Opticoat first then wrap with XPEL? If one is going a clear protection wrap I assume have the sub-surface as optimal as possible would be ideal?
  • Does having an Opticoat finish effect with XPEL's ability to adhere?
  • Someone mentioned you have colours etc.?
  • I am going to have my car sign written therefore though having a complete block-out would be best to avoid in fading between the sign written and non-sign written areas, does XPEL protect the pain from Sun damage/fading or just mainly for paint protection from scratches etc.?
  • Anything else you can think of :)

Cheers

-ECIT

XPEL is an excellent product and I have it on my S but more important than the brand of film is the skill of the installer. I can recommend Invisible Car Bras in Melbourne. James has wrapped several of my cars in paint protection film and is a very good operator.

Hi XPEL

Could you clarify what one should do first?

• Should one Opticoat first then wrap with XPEL? If one is going a clear protection wrap I assume have the sub-surface as optimal as possible would be ideal?
  • Does having an Opticoat finish effect with XPEL's ability to adhere?
  • Someone mentioned you have colours etc.?
  • I am going to have my car sign written therefore though having a complete block-out would be best to avoid in fading between the sign written and non-sign written areas, does XPEL protect the pain from Sun damage/fading or just mainly for paint protection from scratches etc.?
  • Anything else you can think of :)

Cheers

-ECIT

• XPEL then opticoat/cquartz/etc coatings
  • Having a coating installed prior to having film installed can cause adhesion issues in some cases
  • We do! We have XPEL ULTIMATE Colour (Gloss Black, Matte Black and Gloss White) Knox Details did a installation of this on a McLaren recently

XPEL Clear Bra Blog Knox Details installs XPEL ULTIMATE Colour Paint Protection Film

• What do you mean by sign written? XPEL ULTIMATE allows UV to penetrate through the film. For example, most people have just the front ends of their vehicle covered. We want the paint to fade at the same rate whether its a covered or uncovered area. Its made to protect from light scratches, swirl marks, rock chips, bug acids, bird droppings, etc.

Hi Xpel

Since I'll have my Tesla sign written up with my company details I want to ensure I don't have paint that fades compared to pain that hasn't (under the sign written area). I guess therefore I should go a complete body wrap with a coloured version of your product?

Does the coloured range offer UV protection?

Thanks
-ECIT

Reactions: Novatec
Hi Xpel

Since I'll have my Tesla sign written up with my company details I want to ensure I don't have paint that fades compared to pain that hasn't (under the sign written area). I guess therefore I should go a complete body wrap with a coloured version of your product?

Does the coloured range offer UV protection?

Thanks
-ECIT

Unfortunately the coloured film is more for accent pieces (roof, hood, trunk, logos) and not full body wraps. The ULTIMATE Colour does not allow UV penetration.

XPEL is an excellent product and I have it on my S but more important than the brand of film is the skill of the installer. I can recommend Invisible Car Bras in Melbourne. James has wrapped several of my cars in paint protection film and is a very good operator.

James wrapped my entire car (sans glass roof) in XPEL upon delivery. It came up well and the paint has already been saved twice from war wounds inflicted by my wife and young boys. It's a shame there is nothing to protect the wheels from curb rash as I have had 3 of them repainted since it was delivered in October. I'm beginning to regret giving this to my wife to drive.
*sigh*

James wrapped my entire car (sans glass roof) in XPEL upon delivery. It came up well and the paint has already been saved twice from war wounds inflicted by my wife and young boys. It's a shame there is nothing to protect the wheels from curb rash as I have had 3 of them repainted since it was delivered in October. I'm beginning to regret giving this to my wife to drive.
*sigh*

i had James wrap the car 10 days ago ... he didn't use XPEL on mine, instead he used Premiumshield Elite and his team did an excellent job on it (I will certainly recommend them to anyone looking to get a full or part clear bra on their car).

I havent had had a chance to "test" the wrap yet (and mercifully my alloys are still intact - but I know it's only a matter of time), and I will probably give the car its first wash in the next few days (weather permitting). I'm still booked in for an Opticoat Pro treatment, on to of the film in early March, until then it's just the film between me and the elements!!!

i had James wrap the car 10 days ago ... he didn't use XPEL on mine, instead he used Premiumshield Elite and his team did an excellent job on it (I will certainly recommend them to anyone looking to get a full or part clear bra on their car).

I havent had had a chance to "test" the wrap yet (and mercifully my alloys are still intact - but I know it's only a matter of time), and I will probably give the car its first wash in the next few days (weather permitting). I'm still booked in for an Opticoat Pro treatment, on to of the film in early March, until then it's just the film between me and the elements!!!

Hey Goulash1971 I'm keen to hear how the Premiumshield Elite is holding up and if you went ahead with the Opticoat Pro treatment.

Has anyone from the Gold Coast had their model s wrapped? I am keen on getting one. XPEL doesn't have an installer (based on their website) here in the Gold Coast.
Hi gcgp,

I have ordered Scotchguard Pro pre cut kit for my car from the States arriving soon. Is for front nose, partial bonnet, headlights mirrors etc. for refresh S. approx $500 delivered.

Not sure if a good idea to do myself but have tried harder things before and survived. My car lands within the next few weeks also so wanted protection day 1.