Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Long Term Battery Life - Input from HK Tesla owners

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Guys,

I am trying to figure out what the usual battery degradation is for Tesla batteries in Hong Kong. There was a study done in the US which concluded that the AVERAGE Tesla Roadster's battery retained 80-85% of its original capacity after 100,000 miles (or 160,000 kms).

Other studies have suggested that a typical Lithium Iron battery degrades to 80% of its original capacity after around 6,000 full charge cycles. So for instance, if you own an 85kWh Model S, with mileage of 220Wh/km, it would imply that you would hit that in over 140,000 miles or over 230,000km. This is based on charge cycles alone (which would be overstating its life) as there are other factors influencing longevity.

For instance, I discovered that mean temperature actually has a bigger impact on long term battery life than the number of cycles. i.e the lower the temperature, the longer the battery life. (Ironically, the lower the temperature, the worse it is for mileage). Given that HK has a warm climate compared to the USA as a whole, one would expect that the longevity of the battery in HK would be worse.

Does anyone here own say, a roadster that has done anything close to say, 100k kms to give an indication on how their battery has lasted compared to when it was new? Or anyone who lives in a warm climate?

Cheers

I'm at 50,000km on my roadster, almost five years into ownership, and down about 6% from new.

Tom Saxton, who handled the roadster study, has looked at the data from my different directions (temperature included). I'm sure if you PM him, he can provide his feedback.

I'm at 50,000km on my roadster, almost five years into ownership, and down about 6% from new.

Tom Saxton, who handled the roadster study, has looked at the data from my different directions (temperature included). I'm sure if you PM him, he can provide his feedback.

Thanks markwj, that is uesful. 6% after 50k km in Hong Kong seems to be broadly in-line with the US numbers. I assume you have had the car for around 5 years.

I think that is pretty encouraging. Part of the reason I ask is that at my firm we are having an internal debate as to resale value of EVs in China etc

How do you guys check the battery capacity? Just range calculations or service center does that for you?

Yea I also wonder about the charge cycles; I remember reading an iPhone article a while ago saying if you keep it above 40% then that's not considered a full drain/charge cycle and can extend your battery life if you never let it drain below 40%. I see a lot of people running their battery down to a few kms of range left and wondered if that reduces capacity more than say if you drive the same 300km but had recharged it twice from 200km?