Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Caution area on regenerative zone of the energy app

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got into my Model S this morning and was greeted with a warning icon on the energy app next to the maximum regen range and an yellow/orange dashed line near the -50 kW range of the meter. Anyone else seeing this?

I called Tesla support and they weren't aware of what it meant and were investigating. Wondered if anyone else was in the same boat or had any more information.

IMG_1050 (1).jpg

That indicates that regen is limited to where the dashed line isn't. Unfortunately, the new graph is less than useless for any practical purpose. This happens when either the battery is full and can't take any additional charging or when the battery is cold.

I got into my Model S this morning and was greeted with a warning icon on the energy app next to the maximum regen range and an yellow/orange dashed line near the -50 kW range of the meter. Anyone else seeing this?

I called Tesla support and they weren't aware of what it meant and were investigating. Wondered if anyone else was in the same boat or had any more information.

View attachment 101709

Whomever answered at Tesla support who didn't know what this means needs to go back to training. This is Tesla 102.

The part I don't understand is the warning triangles I sometimes get at the top or bottom of that graph, initially I thought they were to warn me of regen limit or accel limit, but the dashed line does that, and doesn't always coincide with the warning triangles, anyone know what the triangles mean?

I don't have 7.0 yet. So does this mean regen is limited to around 40kW (start of dash line), or 50kW (end of dash line)?
If you can come up with any numbers at all for that, you're a better person than I...

the dashed line is the area the green arc can't occupy, there's a 50 in the middle of that picture, with no indicator as to where on the arc it applies to, so I'd say the limit is somewhere random between zero and 50 in that picture.

The part I don't understand is the warning triangles I sometimes get at the top or bottom of that graph, initially I thought they were to warn me of regen limit or accel limit, but the dashed line does that, and doesn't always coincide with the warning triangles, anyone know what the triangles mean?

I was wondering this too. They almost seem random. I got one while driving, wanted to snap a photo, but it quickly went away. I occasionally get them when I turn the car on and it's cold.

If you can come up with any numbers at all for that, you're a better person than I...
If you have a non-AP car, you still get real numbers. On below freezing day, preheated but not charging, the line is at about 30 kW. If you're also charging it's possible to not have a line at all. Not preheated, it's close to zero.

and even when it disappears there may still be a tiny bit of limit. same with acceleration power limiting when cold, you won't know until you floor it and see the limit show.
Have you tried it with V7? Today was the first day I had a bit of a regen limit this season and it seemed to me that it actually matched the line (Classic, so I still have the full power metre).

and even when it disappears there may still be a tiny bit of limit. same with acceleration power limiting when cold, you won't know until you floor it and see the limit show.

The last few days with the temperature close to freezing, I have experienced this. It bothers me because I thought there was something wrong with my car's regen because it wasn't hitting 60kW like it usually does when coming off the highway. Then I realized it was likely still a bit cold with a hidden regen line at about 50kW. I wish they would indicate all regen limiting. Purely anecdotal, but to me it seems regen limiting is more prevalent since my 7.0 upgrade as perhaps battery heating has been dialled back a bit.

Also I am consistently getting power limits showing at around 115 km/h (70 mph) with the pedal to the floor. I am wondering if something is up with my battery/contactors or is this normal?