Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New iPhone and Android Control Module for lighted rear appliqué

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Less than a week after our group install of a lighted rear appliqué on HankLoydright's car, Hank began work on development of an iPhone and Android app to make control of the appliqué settings and effects much easier. Through Test Flight Hank made the app available for testing on Friday. Prior to development of the app one had to use Bluefruit LE to control the appliqué which required entering hexadecimal codes for all of the commands. Not exactly user friendly.

Hank's new app, Appliqué Master Control Module, sends all of the appropriate codes via a one-touch graphical interface. This makes operation of the appliqué much more simple and convenient. At the moment it's only available for testing through Test Flight but once approve by Apple, will be downloadable in the app store. Here are a few screen shots:

On this screen the app scans for bluetooth controllers and lists all of those available. A touch on the right one get you there.

IMG_0477.jpg

This is the first screen one sees once logged into the your individual appliqué controller. it enables access to all of the commands.

IMG_0478.jpg

This is the screen for all of the "immediate' commands, that is those that function only when the car is parked or at a standstill and would be illegal when the car moves.

IMG_0479.jpg

This screen provides control of the Auto On settings, those that turn on automatically only when the car has been parked or standing still for about 3 minutes. It also control the trim settings as indicated.

IMG_0481.jpg

This screen provides control of all of the controller system settings, including a custom name you can give to your controller (good when one is around a number of other Telsa's that have the lighted rear appliqué intalled.

IMG_0480.jpg

Thanks to Hank for his hard work on this app. Through Test Flight invites Hank has given all the current lighted rear appliqué users access to the app and once approved by Apple it will be available to all. Hank's also developed an Android version for testing and broader release once approved.

Of course, this app is only useful to Model S owners who have the lighted rear appliqué. At the moment that's a very exclusive group (a total of only about 30). But when GenII goes into production soon we hope that number can grow substantially.

Less than a week after our group install of a lighted rear appliqué on HankLoydright's car, Hank began work on development of an iPhone and Android app to make control of the appliqué settings and effects much easier. Through Test Flight Hank made the app available for testing on Friday. Prior to development of the app one had to use Bluefruit LE to control the appliqué which required entering hexadecimal codes for all of the commands. Not exactly user friendly.

Hank's new app, Appliqué Master Control Module, sends all of the appropriate codes via a one-touch graphical interface. This makes operation of the appliqué much more simple and convenient. At the moment it's only available for testing through Test Flight but once approve by Apple, will be downloadable in the app store. Here are a few screen shots:

On this screen the app scans for bluetooth controllers and lists all of those available. A touch on the right one get you there.

View attachment 101635

This is the first screen one sees once logged into the your individual appliqué controller. it enables access to all of the commands.

View attachment 101636

This is the screen for all of the "immediate' commands, that is those that function only when the car is parked or at a standstill and would be illegal when the car moves.

View attachment 101637

This screen provides control of the Auto On settings, those that turn on automatically only when the car has been parked or standing still for about 3 minutes. It also control the trim settings as indicated.

View attachment 101638

This screen provides control of all of the controller system settings, including a custom name you can give to your controller (good when one is around a number of other Telsa's that have the lighted rear appliqué intalled.

View attachment 101640

Thanks to Hank for his hard work on this app. Through Test Flight invites Hank has given all the current lighted rear appliqué users access to the app and once approved by Apple it will be available to all. Hank's also developed an Android version for testing and broader release once approved.

Of course, this app is only useful to Model S owners who have the lighted rear appliqué. At the moment that's a very exclusive group (a total of only about 30). But when GenII goes into production soon we hope that number can grow substantially.

Very cool.

Very cool.

Thanks!

The only thing a video would show are the "Immediate" commands since they're the only ones that do something as a response to the commands. All the others are configurations or settings for the Applique.

I'm not good at all with videos, so maybe someone else who's good at it can show the Immediate commands operating?

This is also just Version 1. I'm open to suggestions and I'll likely put it up on Github.

Edit: Also, it was a lot of fun developing this app, and a huge thanks to Artsci and Danal for making the Applique a reality!

Thanks!

The only thing a video would show are the "Immediate" commands since they're the only ones that do something as a response to the commands. All the others are configurations or settings for the Applique.

I'm not good at all with videos, so maybe someone else who's good at it can show the Immediate commands operating?

This is also just Version 1. I'm open to suggestions and I'll likely put it up on Github.

Edit: Also, it was a lot of fun developing this app, and a huge thanks to Artsci and Danal for making the Applique a reality!

I installed a new OEM appliqué on my car yesterday (replaced the one with a faulty longboard) so I was thinking of taking videos of all of the commands and the effects they make possible. Will probably take me a week or two.

The one I installed is a temporary fix until the GenII billet aluminum version goes into production. Frankly the plastic Tesla OEM version is a piece of inferior quality and I hate working with it. The billet aluminum GenII will shame Tesla's OEM version.

Thanks!

Hank, I'd like to suggestion that the app includes an option to run a demo (each function/feature) as thorough has possible for the owner like standing behind the car showing it off to someone particularly another Tesla owner.

Hank, I'd like to suggestion that the app includes an option to run a demo (each function/feature) as thorough has possible for the owner like standing behind the car showing it off to someone particularly another Tesla owner.

In order to do that, Danal would have to add more commands to the firmware. As it is, the only things the app could demo are the three "immediate" commands. I already have a request into Danal for these other features.

First, congratulations to HankLloydRight, this is amazing.

Second, I've been AWOL for a while, and that should be changing. I'm building modules for Artsci for the Gen II (Aluminum) appliques as we speak, and I should be able to give some attention to a 3.1 or 3.2 release of the software in a couple of weeks (for Hank's requested features).

Third, I've received a few emails regarding a forum discussion about using the CAN bus. I'm open to that; there are some things to discuss; so where is that thread? I can't seem to find it (CAN is a "common word" to the search engine on this forum).

Danal

Hank, I downloaded and installed the app today. I spent the next two hours sitting behind my MS just playing with the settings.
Its so clever. It does everything. The effects are amazing. You are a MASTER. Now we need Rick to find a way to mount a camera that looks at the applique and shows up on the screen so we can drive and play with the lights at the same time. Right now, I am envious of the people that are following me, because they can see it and I can't. What a hoot !!

Hank, I downloaded and installed the app today. I spent the next two hours sitting behind my MS just playing with the settings.
Its so clever. It does everything. The effects are amazing. You are a MASTER. Now we need Rick to find a way to mount a camera that looks at the applique and shows up on the screen so we can drive and play with the lights at the same time. Right now, I am envious of the people that are following me, because they can see it and I can't. What a hoot !!

Thanks! But most of the credit should go to Danal who programmed the hardware control module to do all those fancy things. I just put a GUI interface on top of the "command line" interface Danal created.

Glad you like it!

Down the road we're hoping to add more "immediate" commands as well as a "demo mode". Stay tuned.

• Helpful
Reactions: Andyw2100
Hank:

Just downloaded the app to my iPhone 6. When I launch it, it searches but does not find the controller. Yes, car is powered up and appliqué is illuminated. Any hints?

Thx.

Are you in or near the car? It won't find it if you'r more than about 50 feet away? When it connects you'll see a black bar with the controller ID under the green "Scan for Controllers" and red "Clear Auto Connect" bars.