Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Real Expected Range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

thx1139

Aug 1, 2014
Lemont, IL
So planning trip and a little concerned. Model S 85D range mode on, 100% charge.

From home to first Supercharger is like 210 miles.

Mostly flat Midwest driving. Go speed limit say 60-65 MPH. 4 people in the car with light luggage. So about 700lbs. Looks like when we leave it will be 35-40 degrees and the where we will end will be about 50 degrees.

Should we have any concern?

So planning trip and a little concerned. Model S 85D range mode on, 100% charge.

Mostly flat Midwest driving. Go speed limit say 60-65 MPH. 4 people in the car with light luggage. So about 700lbs. Looks like when we leave it will be 35-40 degrees and the where we will end will be about 50 degrees.

You should have absolutely no problem, unless you have a significant head-wind. If still in doubt, enter your numbers into EVTripplanner - it is almost always spot-on.

Preheat the battery and cabin while plugged in, with range mode OFF for at least 1/2 hour. If not, you could lose range due to battery heating. It can eat up several miles. Cabin, not so much. But if you get the cabin nice and toasty, you will both be more comfortable and require less energy to keep it warm. Recirc also helps quite a bit. I start with that and then switch to fresh for a little while if it gets stuffy, then back to recirc. But I haven't had a full car, just me. I tend to precondition before leaving for work and then don't need the heat at all for my 25 min commute at about 40 deg. Seat heaters use much less energy than heating the cabin air. And, unfortunately, stick to the speed limit.

Have fun!

What the trip graph; it will tell you how you're doing. Start slow and speed up towards the end if you are doing well--far easier on the nerves than starting fast and then having to crawl. Use the preheating as described by CHG-ON. I've made 250 miles trips against strong headwinds in my S85 in the Midwest. There isn't much left at the end, but I haven't had to stop at the secondary locations to gain extra miles.

Most likely no problem when keeping an eye on the trip energy graph. But always have a plan B! Use Plugshare.com to find a charger on the way, especially near your destination. If something unforeseen happens and you really run low, you want to have an option! It's better to charge 40 min on a L2 charger and not run out than ending up on a tow truck.

You'll be fine. Anything over a constant 15 MPH headwind will be trouble though.
Screen Shot 2015-11-21 at 6.27.59 PM.png

When you say to preheat the battery, does that happen when preheating the cabin?

It does, but you have to make sure that Range Mode is off when you do it or the battery heating will be very minimal. (Unfortunately, you can't tell from the App whether Range Mode is off or on.) The maximum battery heating is occurs when the charging ends just before you start driving and you have also preheated. In very cold weather, there will still be some regen limitation for the first few miles.

When we pre-heat do we then turn range mode on when we leave?
Yes, if your trip is short (less than about 30 miles). I notice a big difference on my 25 mile one way commute. My understanding is that for longer trips it doesn't make much difference (courtesy MKnox who has a very long commute in the Toronto area).

I make a trip of about 220miles from SW Missouri to St. Louis, perhaps a bit more hills than you're dealing with, but otherwise similar. If your battery is fairly new, and you are pretty good about sticking to around 60MPH you should be OK, but in the winter with a full load on the interstate, anything over 200 miles makes me pretty nervous these days. I'd at least plan a few contingency options (Destination chargers, RV parks, J1772, etc.) It is quite doable, but you may need to suggest everyone bring a warm coat and/or blanket and really keep the climate control conservative.

I am not completely sure. But from what I have read, we need to preheat the cabin also. I know that range mode must be off. If on, only the cabin will preheat. Alternatively, as mentioned, try to time your charge to end just before leaving. Charging warms the battery.

When you say to preheat the battery, does that happen when preheating the cabin? Or is there some way to preheat the battery separate from the cabin that I've not discovered yet?