Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

For those of you experiencing static from the audio system after upgrading to 7.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Help is on the way. The static and strange low audio artifacts intermittently coming out the front speakers is a known firmware issue with 7.0 and the next update will fix it. So said the service adviser today when I inquired about it.

I think this issue predates 7.0 and I was told by Tesla months ago it's an antennae issue not software. I hope you are right though!

Help is on the way. The static and strange low audio artifacts intermittently coming out the front speakers is a known firmware issue with 7.0 and the next update will fix it. So said the service adviser today when I inquired about it.

Simple, try the reboot sequencing. Press & hold Both top buttons on the steering wheel till the screen reboots.
After the screen reboots, press & hold Both roller buttons till the screen reboots.
Rebooting the screens after a firmware update is usually the first step in resolving most issues.

I think this issue predates 7.0 and I was told by Tesla months ago it's an antennae issue not software. I hope you are right though!

I talked to Costa Mesa SC today about it today. It is in fact a firmware problem from the latest version 7 (my car was delivered only 2 days ago ver 2.8.217) and it only affects internet streaming media (in my case only on the passenger side, both front and rear - i.e. the right channel), not AM or FM radio. I did not try any iPhone or USB sources.

Last edited:
.188 is affected, too. I finally got mine fixed (I can't tell you how) -- so Tesla is aware of it and knows how to fix it. In the meantime, if you don't use streaming media -- including not leaving it in a paused state (leave it on FM muted or something), that'll prevent other audio (like parking sensors) from getting messed up.

I talked to Costa Mesa SC today about it today. It is in fact a firmware problem from the latest version 7 (my car was delivered only 2 days ago ver 2.8.217) and it only affects internet streaming media (in my case only on the passenger side, both front and rear - i.e. the right channel), not AM or FM radio. I did not try any iPhone or USB sources.
Okay, in that case, the right channel static I've been experiencing matches the software bug... but what about the accelerated audio playback in Slacker and USB sources? You wouldn't happen to be experiencing audio playback on those two sources running about 10% faster than they're supposed to (playback time counter also running about 10% faster than real time), would you?

I've been having a persistent internet radio issue with the static (seems to come across all speakers). Only showed up the morning after the service center updated me to .217. Someone in another thread mentioned a double reboot of the main screen, and that does seem to provide a temporary fix. That bought me about a week of clear Slacker and it just went back to the static thing this morning. Double reboot fixed again...we'll see how long it lasts this time.

I was told the same thing by my SC, that the next firmware update should provide a permanent solution.

I'm still on the .56 flavor of 7.0. I hear a slight buzzing from what sounds like the driver's side A pillar speaker area it seems about half the time when the brake hold feature is engaged at a light. If I tap the accelerator to disengage the brake hold, it goes away. Sounds like that's a little different from this issue?

I'm still on the .56 flavor of 7.0. I hear a slight buzzing from what sounds like the driver's side A pillar speaker area it seems about half the time when the brake hold feature is engaged at a light. If I tap the accelerator to disengage the brake hold, it goes away. Sounds like that's a little different from this issue?
I've been experiencing that as well, but I'm not sure it's related... kinda sounds like small electronics inductor whine.