Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Seat Rocking (Next Gen Seats)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone's seat have a slight rocking motion to it like its not bolted in properly?

I'm on my second Model S, the first a P85+ and I had this same issue on my first car (Classic Seats) and now my P85D with the Next Gen seats still have that 1/2" rock that I notice when the car is under braking conditions.

I've noticed this in a few cars I've sat in and some demo cars I've driven.

Does anyone else have this issue and was your service center able to address it?

Thanks in advance!

YES! i have this issue! an annoying 1-2 inch rocking motion forward and back. happens every time i accelerate or decclerate. extremely annoying and takes away from the driving experience and makes the car seem really cheap build quality.

i asked my service center about it and they basically said it's because i'm too fat and they have no solution for it, even tho it's a common problem they face. they didn't say that outright, but they said the car is not designed for people over 220lbs. i'm like "WHAT?!?" this is 'Murica..... like half our population is over 220lbs.

• Helpful
Reactions: DÆrik
Haha!

I am a big guy and I have noticed the rocking in the NextGen driver's seat. I reported it to my service center in January. They tested the seat and told me that there was indeed too much "play" in the bushings in the seat. They ordered me a new driver's seat (which took 2 months to arrive) and I had the new seat installed last week. It is much better, but I'm not convinced the problem is fixed yet -- fully expect it to return, though I hope not.

Mine feels less like rocking and more like verticals play that feels loose when accelerating or hitting small bumps in the road. Car is less than 1 month old. Plan to talk to SC about this.

Haha!

I am a big guy and I have noticed the rocking in the NextGen driver's seat. I reported it to my service center in January. They tested the seat and told me that there was indeed too much "play" in the bushings in the seat. They ordered me a new driver's seat (which took 2 months to arrive) and I had the new seat installed last week. It is much better, but I'm not convinced the problem is fixed yet -- fully expect it to return, though I hope not.

just so you know, my P85D was one of the "black hole" ones in December of 2014 that didn't have the Next Gen seats. so gradually, over the course of a year, the old-style seat got the rocking thing. so i finally, just recently, got the Next Gens installed. and it helped NOT AT ALL with the rocking motion. just the same rocking was there as soon as i drove the Next Gen's home.

this tells me it's not the seat, but something in the frame or foundation. my service center rep said it's a known issue, they are working on a solution, but there is none right now.