Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Audio Problem: Audio Sped Up & Right Channel Audio Turns to Static Intermittently

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Okay, so the wife and I took delivery of our Model S on Thursday and we quite like it, but there are a few problems... the strangest of which being this audio issue.

Simply put, nothing sounds right in this car and this morning's investigation has helped us figure out what's up. All audio played either from USB memory stick or Slacker plays in the wrong key as a result of being sped up--BPM is higher than it should be and the song time display counts off time about 10% faster than real time. In addition, all right channel audio played from these sources occasionally turns entirely to static (left channel audio is unaffected). A screen reboot sometimes fixes the static issue and does nothing to fix the accelerated playback issue. AM/FM radio does not appear to be affected by either the static or accelerated playback issue.

Wife's current hypothesis is that there's something wrong with the DSP in general and, with regard to the accelerated playback, that the DSP's internal clock could be out of tolerance. Could it be a software bug? Sure, but we have no point of reference and I haven't come across anyone else complaining about audio playing back faster than real time.

Anyone have any ideas other than call Tesla, given that the nearest service center is over an hour away?

Last edited:
I'd call the 800 and see if they can trouble shoot. I think your wife is correct. The DSP is off. Have you turned off Dolby? It must be a SW issue.
I guess I'll give the 800 number a call. As for Dolby, I couldn't find a Dolby on/off option anywhere... then again, we don't have the upgraded audio package--I assume it's part of that?

*edit* Called support and they had never heard of this sort of problem before... so, they opened a ticket to escalate the issue. They should get back to me within a few days, according to the person I spoke with.

Last edited:
Quick update: Thanks to some people better characterizing the static issue/bug with 7.0 2.8.217, I've concluded that the static I'm experiencing matches the software bug. Still odd that nobody else has experienced the accelerated audio playback problem I've been having, though.

Speaking of accelerated audio playback, I did yet another reset of both screens this morning (I think that makes 5 resets this weekend?) to get rid of the static issue and, for whatever reason, it also fixed the accelerated audio playback this time, despite previous resets having done nothing. Perhaps it's a related software bug that others just aren't noticing? I mean, it is only about a 10% increase in playback speed which, if you aren't paying attention, could be missed or just passed off.

Me too

Quick update: Thanks to some people better characterizing the static issue/bug with 7.0 2.8.217, I've concluded that the static I'm experiencing matches the software bug. Still odd that nobody else has experienced the accelerated audio playback problem I've been having, though.

Speaking of accelerated audio playback, I did yet another reset of both screens this morning (I think that makes 5 resets this weekend?) to get rid of the static issue and, for whatever reason, it also fixed the accelerated audio playback this time, despite previous resets having done nothing. Perhaps it's a related software bug that others just aren't noticing? I mean, it is only about a 10% increase in playback speed which, if you aren't paying attention, could be missed or just passed off.

I also took delivery just this weekend and noticed the static. Did a reboot with just the center buttons - twice in a row and it took care of the static (today), but now have the 10% faster playback - can't get rid of that. Have tried several center button reboots and nothing changes it - have not tried the top button reboot followed by middle button reboot, but it is not just you - there is something wrong here :)

I also took delivery just this weekend and noticed the static. Did a reboot with just the center buttons - twice in a row and it took care of the static (today), but now have the 10% faster playback - can't get rid of that. Have tried several center button reboots and nothing changes it - have not tried the top button reboot followed by middle button reboot, but it is not just you - there is something wrong here :)
Well, it's good to know I'm not alone on this one...

Latest update from Tesla was basically "yeah, it's not supposed to do that... keep an eye on it and let us know if it happens again"

THe same discussion is in this topic http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/show...the-audio-system-after-upgrading-to-7-0/page3
I had exactly your issues.

my fix: rebooted twice the big display, then once the dashboard. Still no love. A last big display reboot fixed it.
Detail: In the hope of shutting down the multimedia system, before the last successful reboot, I did turn down completely the volume. Might not be needed. But who knows
Hope this woks out for you as well. This indeed started to drive me crazy, even more after I had called the SC and they told me this was a unknown issue to them.
Problem never happened before update .217. Good luck!