Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Using ChaDeMo Fequently

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi folks,

Does anyone know if using chademo stations to charge takes a toll on the battery, and range, if you use it frequently? I'm going to be relying quite a bit on public charging when I initially receive my MS. Level 2 would make this painful but there's a chademo station a mile from where I work so planning on using that as my primarily charge point. And there's place to sit, relax and eat, even better. I've heard people mention that when they've used super chargers constantly for charging their batteries capacity went down. Is that a worry as well if you're using chademo? It's similar to supercharging but even at it's fastest rate is about half that of super charging.

Thanks for your insights!

Tesla says that supercharging does not take a toll, and can be done as often as one wants. Our three-year-old 65,000 mile Signature has supercharged hundreds of times and shows only a few percent capacity loss.

As you say, CHAdeMO chargers are less than half the charge rate of superchargers, and only about twice the rate of a full-current HPWC. So I think you are good to go.

Hi folks,

Does anyone know if using chademo stations to charge takes a toll on the battery, and range, if you use it frequently? I'm going to be relying quite a bit on public charging when I initially receive my MS. Level 2 would make this painful but there's a chademo station a mile from where I work so planning on using that as my primarily charge point. And there's place to sit, relax and eat, even better. I've heard people mention that when they've used super chargers constantly for charging their batteries capacity went down. Is that a worry as well if you're using chademo? It's similar to supercharging but even at it's fastest rate is about half that of super charging.

Thanks for your insights!
I really doubt that using a CHAdeMO would harm the battery in any way, but I have to ask what prevents you from installing an outlet where you live now?

As you say, CHAdeMO chargers are less than half the charge rate of superchargers, and only about twice the rate of a full-current HPWC. So I think you are good to go.

I don't think that comparing the maximum rate of charge is sufficient to be sure that using a CHAdeMO won't cause more rapid degradation.

I think to be 100% sure you would need to compare how much CHAdeMO chargers taper the charge rate as the battery fills vs the Superchargers.

Since Tesla sells the adapters it's probably okay, and it's almost guaranteed that someone at Tesla knows the answer.

The car will adjust the charge rate to whatever is safe for the battery under the conditions it's in. The current CHADeMO adapter is limited to 125 Ampere which is still a very reasonable charge rate and won't hurt the battery. The detrimental effect of charging fast isn't so much the high power, it's more the heat building up in the cells. The Model S (and X) will cool the battery actively while charging at high power. Don't worry about using it a lot. It's fine.

I live in an apartment building and I don't even have parking at the building but close by off-site. Management is great but not interested in installing chargers or even providing any sort of outlet. My office has a plan to install EV chargers as a perk for employees so when that project is completed (needs to start first...) I'll be doing most of my charging at work. So until then I'm planning on using the chademo.

I really doubt that using a CHAdeMO would harm the battery in any way, but I have to ask what prevents you from installing an outlet where you live now?

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the answers folks.

Does anyone use the chademo charger frequently? The station I'll be using is from EVgo, a Freedom Station. I've read they are all 44Kw/hr chargers which seem pretty fast. If you've used them about how many miles do you get in 30 minutes? Anywhere close to what they claim, 150 miles/hr? I understand that SoC makes the experience variable but even anecdotal answers would be interesting to hear.

I live in an apartment building and I don't even have parking at the building but close by off-site. Management is great but not interested in installing chargers or even providing any sort of outlet. My office has a plan to install EV chargers as a perk for employees so when that project is completed (needs to start first...) I'll be doing most of my charging at work. So until then I'm planning on using the chademo.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the answers folks.

Does anyone use the chademo charger frequently? The station I'll be using is from EVgo, a Freedom Station. I've read they are all 44Kw/hr chargers which seem pretty fast. If you've used them about how many miles do you get in 30 minutes? Anywhere close to what they claim, 150 miles/hr? I understand that SoC makes the experience variable but even anecdotal answers would be interesting to hear.

@jborak, First of all, Congrats! Glad you didn't let something like not having a parking place at your building get in your way of getting a Tesla! Anyway, I've used CHAdeMo chargers a number of times and have had no issues (there are other threads here that you can look through, as using one the first time can be interesting). For the 44 kWh chargers, you can usually average about 130 miles of rated range per hour - not bad at all. As far as battery degradation, you shouldn't worry about that at all, really, as it relates to using the CHAdeMO chargers.

Just take care of your adapter. You depend on it. Watch for wear, cleanliness of the station's CHAdeMO connector, etc.
I'd go so far as to make sure the Service Center stocks replacement adapters in case of failure. Or put TMC member @islandbayy AKA Kman on speed dial (he's generously doing loaners)!

The car will pamper your battery so don't worry about degradation. Shorter charging sessions are safest, arguably.

Great way to make it work out, actually!

Last edited:
Thanks for that tips and encouragement! Will be sure to take care with charging and storing my adapter. I'm lucky that 0.4 miles away (10 minute walk) there two J1772 charger away from my apartment and they are open to the public for use. They cost money, $2/hr, but its another option close to home in an emergency situation. The chademo charger I plan to use primarily is located at a mall, lots of food options and close to my work (1 mile away). So hoping that 2-3 charging sessions a week will keep the battery topped off.

Just take care of your adapter. You depend on it. Watch for wear, cleanliness of the station's CHAdeMO connector, etc.

Great way to make it work out, actually!

Just used one yesterday outside of DFW to get me enough to get back home. It's an NRG EVGO as well. I think I charged for around 35 minutes (even went inside Walgreens and got my flu shot while I was waiting!). I think I put about 90 miles on it.

I haven't had any problems with the chargers themselves, or even being blocked. Oddly enough the very first time I used one, I went across the street to grab some fast food and some joker in a Leaf unplugged me. :cursing:

The only issues I've had have to do with the heat. Two times I've had it start to overheat and slow down. I'll get a red alert indication on my dash saying "adapter is getting extremely hot. Slowing down charge." So the amps will plummet to allow it to cool down. It's a bummer, but only happens for me when it's really hot here in Texas (close to 100 or over).

Just used one yesterday outside of DFW to get me enough to get back home. It's an NRG EVGO as well. I think I charged for around 35 minutes (even went inside Walgreens and got my flu shot while I was waiting!). I think I put about 90 miles on it.

I haven't had any problems with the chargers themselves, or even being blocked. Oddly enough the very first time I used one, I went across the street to grab some fast food and some joker in a Leaf unplugged me. :cursing:

The only issues I've had have to do with the heat. Two times I've had it start to overheat and slow down. I'll get a red alert indication on my dash saying "adapter is getting extremely hot. Slowing down charge." So the amps will plummet to allow it to cool down. It's a bummer, but only happens for me when it's really hot here in Texas (close to 100 or over).

Thanks for that review as there are a lot of these in and around Houston. I'm assessing the necessity of getting an adapter and signing up.

If you live in Missouri City and charge at home you shouldn't ever need to use CHAdeMO in the Houston area.
Totally agree. Also since most of my day trips are up 45 to Huntsville, there are SCs along the way. The only concern I have is for the trips to Brownsville. Nary a CHAdeMO is found along the way. There are a couple of 80amp destination chargers off the beaten path though.

Totally agree. Also since most of my day trips are up 45 to Huntsville, there are SCs along the way. The only concern I have is for the trips to Brownsville. Nary a CHAdeMO is found along the way. There are a couple of 80amp destination chargers off the beaten path though.
Superchargers are coming on that route. Victoria is the first one-- they wouldn't be starting Victoria if Tesla doesn't plan to continue the path all the way to south Texas soon.

90 miles in 35 minutes is really great. Hoping that rate is what I get on the NRG station that will become my electron oasis :)

Too bad about the Leaf driver, maybe they had an emergency or something (like just being rude). There was an EV drive courtesy pack that I read someone made. The idea of one seems useful in that situation.