Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Varying charge/discharge levels any benefit?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi folks,

I'd say for 85% of my driving I am off to the office, visit same customers, drive home, charge. Rinse and repeat, and repeat, and repeat, and repeat.....

Got me to wondering: Is there benefit to randomizing the level of discharge I let the battery get to? How about the charge? I charge to the recommended range every night, which leaves me around ~240 rated range every morning. I go on a trip once in a blue moon that requires superchargers etc. (one time in last ~5,000 miles)

What's the collective thought on this question? I know lithium batteries don't have the same "memory" that older chemistry batteries have, but I still have the nagging thought that maybe it would be better to switch things up ever so often.

I don't worry about it at all. I normally leave it at 90%, but I'm not afraid to charge to 100% when I think I might need it. I don't try to time it so that I leave the SECOND it reaches 100%; I've let it sit at 100% for a day or so before, and while on vacation while charging with only 120V, I regularly kept it up at 100% so that I would be fine.

My refurbished battery, installed Feb-2014, still charges to 266-267 miles in the spring-summer and 263ish in the winter.