Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Reservations Open in Canada

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Recent press release stating reservations are now open in Canada for the model S. It is strange that the autobloggreen press release states a starting price of $57,400 which as a par value would be great. However the press release on the tesla ogled site does not state any prices. Did Tesla modify it after sending it out or did autoblog change it?

http://green.autoblog.com/2011/06/11/tesla-opens-model-s-reservations-in-canada-delivery-set-for-mid/

Looks like Tesla modified the press releaseever other sites have the same version as autoblog. I wouldn't have thought they could make chanes without issuing a correction

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Tesla-Launches-Model-S-iw-75792117.html?x=0&.v=1

Last edited:
i don't expect to get confirmation of the par price at this time; there is still over a year left before they start shipping and canada does not share the same currency as the US.

I am wondering though why they are stating in a press release that "reservations are now open in Canada for the model S" when they have been open for a long time now.

I was at the Tesla Model S Design Prototype Tour in Toronto today and spoke to the rep Sarah there. She confirmed that the starting price would be CAN$57,400 and on par with the US price, which would be amazing if true.

The Roadster had 6.1% duty on it because the car didn't qualify under NAFTA - too much of it built in the UK. The Model S will definitely qualify.

For Canada the localization is fairly simple stuff like an immobilizer (fob interlock), daytime running lights (appropriate light switching controls), and minor difference in the instrument cluster (now virtual). As long as they anticipated these things during the design of the car - and they have experience with that now - it's possible that the production differences could be entirely firmware.

So I'm not all that surprised, but definitely very pleased, that they're talking price parity.

... the starting price would be CAN$57,400 and on par with the US price ...

If TM do the same in EU that would be definitely a "deal breaker" , cause I'am not willing to pay
82,363 USD for a Base Model S and
over 132,000 USD for the Signature Model S ....

I that case it's better to resell the Reservation 3000 + 10k (Euro) ... and buying 3-4 Leafs or so ....

If TM do the same in EU that would be definitely a "deal breaker" , cause I'am not willing to pay
82,363 USD for a Base Model S and
over 132,000 USD for the Signature Model S ....

I that case it's better to resell the Reservation 3000 + 10k (Euro) ... and buying 3-4 Leafs or so ....

They're offering parity because $CDN is 2% higher than $US right now. With exchange losses they are essentially at parity. I'm sure they'll provide a suitable Euro exchange rate.

For my own company, some people have complained about higher dealer prices for our products in Europe, but they always forget about the VAT because it's buried in the price. That's government profit, not company profit.

44% is based on a price that hasn't come from Tesla, so let's wait until we get official news.

My guestimate is based on the price difference between the Roadster price in the USA and Europe. Tesla charges European clients 12% more than US clients. Now I think that is acceptable. If they were to do the same for Model S, this means they would charge about € 45000,= excluding VAT or about €53500 including VAT for the Netherlands. I hope...