Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Frustrations with door locks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm frustrated with how the MS' door handles function.

I can't be the only person who drops a kid off in a "drop off line" at school. You roll up slowly, then have to unlock the door so it can be opened from the outside to let your kid out.

The problem is that the MS doesn't let you unlock the door at low speeds. You have to be completely stopped in order to hit the unlock button. Apparently I'm too quick to hit the unlock button even when I think I'm fully stopped, and it doesn't work.

I'm happy they added an unlock button directly on the home screen. But there's a bug with it, too. If you put the car in park, the doors automatically unlock. After a minute or so the handles retract again but the icon doesn't register that the doors are locked. So when you want to unlock them for people on the outside you have to hit the button twice.

Anyone else frustrated by this?

If you are still in the car when the handles retract after parking, they are still unlocked, just not extended. The person getting in the car just needs to touch the handle and they will pop out. You can also press the park button on the gear selector stalk to extend the handles, even if you are already in park.

1. I think it's a safety feature to not allowing unlock when the car is still in motion. No big deal as you can get the timing right after a few tries.

2. As mentioned above, the car is still unlock even when the handles are retracted so it is not a bug.

If you are still in the car when the handles retract after parking, they are still unlocked, just not extended. The person getting in the car just needs to touch the handle and they will pop out. You can also press the park button on the gear selector stalk to extend the handles, even if you are already in park.

Great suggestions. For the case you mentioned, I've found it necessary to actually push on the retracted door handle, then it will extend for me.

Yep, very annoyed by this too. If you press "unlock" then it should unlock (and extend the door handles) -- at any speed. The car should always obey the owner. Really bad decision/programming on their part.
I don't have kids so I have no idea what a "drop off line" is. Are you just parked in a line of cars, and someone from outside walks up and opens the door for the child?

If so, maybe this workaround will suffice until Tesla fixes their poor design:

How about, after putting the car in "Park", you open your door (driver's door) just an inch (just enough to be ajar). This will unlock the doors and force the handles to remain extended indefinitely. Once the child's door gets opened, then just close your door.

I'm frustrated with how the MS' door handles function.

I can't be the only person who drops a kid off in a "drop off line" at school. You roll up slowly, then have to unlock the door so it can be opened from the outside to let your kid out.

The problem is that the MS doesn't let you unlock the door at low speeds. You have to be completely stopped in order to hit the unlock button. Apparently I'm too quick to hit the unlock button even when I think I'm fully stopped, and it doesn't work.

I'm happy they added an unlock button directly on the home screen. But there's a bug with it, too. If you put the car in park, the doors automatically unlock. After a minute or so the handles retract again but the icon doesn't register that the doors are locked. So when you want to unlock them for people on the outside you have to hit the button twice.

I hope you're not doing a low speed drive by drop off.
When you put it in Park, you can open the door handles by pressing the Park button. Also anyone can tap on the handles and they will open.
Best to be fully stopped and have the car in Park before you let your precious cargo out in the street.

I don't understand the problem. My procedure is: drive in the line, stop the car, press the Park button, kid gets out, shift back into D, drive away. Why fiddle with manually unlocking the car?

For the second bit, the handles extend when you push the Park button, even if you're already in Park. In eight months of owning this car I've never once had to directly lock or unlock the doors. I think you might be overthinking things.