Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help get the word out about Destination Charging for Vacation Rentals.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did you know Tesla is offering FREE destination charging equipment to most Vacation Rentals in addition to the usual Hotels?

Vacation Rentals are my business, and I write a blog for the industry. So I wrote up a post explaining how and why this is a great thing for owners of Vacation Rentals. Obviously, it's great for us Tesla owners too. The more options we have, the better!

Here is a link to the post if you know anyone that owns a Vacation Rental, please pass it along:

How To Get Wealthy Tesla Owners Flocking to Your Vacation Rental

Thanks!

• Informative
Reactions: newtman
It is easier than that for a VR that can't get Tesla to give them a HPWC.
How about the Vacation Rental offering a NEMA 14-50 outlet so I can use the UMC to charge!!!!!!
I always opt for VR's with garage access, but that rarely available, but an weatherproof lockable 14-50 outlet within reach of the driveway/carport would work as a second choice.

It is easier than that for a VR that can't get Tesla to give them a HPWC.
How about the Vacation Rental offering a NEMA 14-50 outlet so I can use the UMC to charge!!!!!!
I always opt for VR's with garage access, but that rarely available, but an weatherproof lockable 14-50 outlet within reach of the driveway/carport would work as a second choice.

True, a 14-50 would be a great second choice. But hopefully we can get Vacation Rental owners (there are millions of them) to realize Tesla will GIVE THEM the equipment for free. All it takes is a few emails to Tesla as outlined in the blog post, an estimate from an electrician and you are on your way....

By the way, I'm getting mine installed inside the garage, so glad that's something people prefer and look for :)

We have 2 vacation rental properties... One with a 10-30 garage outlet where we leave the UMC adapter... And one where we got the builder to install a 14-50.
However, I'm finding it difficult to list. Plugshare told me to list it as a home charger, and I can only have one of those. We added keywords to homeaway listing text but can anyone search by that? I'm really not sure we have a good way to advertise to Tesla owners.

We have 2 vacation rental properties... One with a 10-30 garage outlet where we leave the UMC adapter... And one where we got the builder to install a 14-50.
However, I'm finding it difficult to list. Plugshare told me to list it as a home charger, and I can only have one of those. We added keywords to homeaway listing text but can anyone search by that? I'm really not sure we have a good way to advertise to Tesla owners.

Try creating another login and put the second one there.

I have a vacation rental home near Disney. Did Tesla change their program recently for VR's? I had requested to be part of their destination charging program about a year ago and here's the response that I got:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Hi David,

Thank you for your email and for your support of Tesla! I hope that you are loving your S!

Unfortunately, In regards to Destination Charging program, we are restricted to enabling commercial properties. That being said, we are definitely working on getting some locations in and around Disney World up and running for travelers to utilize.

I would recommend to you having a NEMA 14-50 installed in the garage, as that can be easily utilized for overnight charging for your guests. You can advertise it the same, as Tesla friendly, and has the added benefit of being able to attract other EV drivers as well.

Thanks again for the request, keep enjoying your Tesla!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I installed a NEMA 14-50 in the garage a couple of weeks ago. I haven't updated my website or listings yet but will soon. I would love to be listed on Tesla's map.

It is on Plugshare.

-Dave

Last edited:
I have a vacation rental home near Disney. Did Tesla change their program recently for VR's? I had requested to be part of their destination charging program about a year ago and here's the response that I got:
"Hi David,

Thank you for your email and for your support of Tesla! I hope that you are loving your S!

Unfortunately, In regards to Destination Charging program, we are restricted to enabling commercial properties. That being said, we are definitely working on getting some locations in and around Disney World up and running for travelers to utilize.

I would recommend to you having a NEMA 14-50 installed in the garage, as that can be easily utilized for overnight charging for your guests. You can advertise it the same, as Tesla friendly, and has the added benefit of being able to attract other EV drivers as well.

Thanks again for the request, keep enjoying your Tesla!
Patrick

I installed a NEMA 14-50 in the garage a couple of weeks ago. I haven't updated my website or listings yet but will soon. I would love to be listed on Tesla's map.

It is on Plugshare.

-Dave

From Tesla's reply, it sounds like they thought your rental was a personal, second home. You need to convince them that the rental is a commercial operation.

Last edited:
I own a beach rental house near Pawley's Island SC. I wanted to encourage EV owners to consider our property if they are looking to rent in that area. To encourage ALL types of EVs, I will be installing a Clipper Creek HCS-60 (240V, 48 amp) charger that will be available free to rental tenants. It will also allow me to be comfortable driving our Model S there from our home in Northern Virginia; we've not taken it before due to a paucity of good charging options in that area.

I never contacted Tesla about Destination Charging because I wanted to provide a charging system that could be used by multiple types of EVs. Some of our renters come from long distances (upper mid west, for example), but some also come from within 150 miles or so. The long distance tenants, if driving an EV, would likely be driving a Tesla; however, the closer ones could be driving something else.

I'm upgrading the electric service to the house at the same time since EVERYTHING in the house is electric: water heaters, cooktop, heat/AC provided by heat pumps, etc. The installation is planned for January 2016. Link below will provide details for those interested.

Second Row Litchfield Beach SC Vacation Rentals | Sea Gals

Had my first Tesla owner stay at the house last week. If you do a Google search for Disney vacation rental with ev charging, I'm at the top, Gotta love it.

Nice! Marketing is important especially for newer EV owners who haven't discovered Plug Share. Plug Share is great but can be difficult to search with all the unfriendly (in my experience) Nissan dealers etc. cluttering up their map.

I'm amazed how many hotels that have EV chargers don't even advertise them on their web sites. My go-to hotel in Charlottesville, VA has had EV chargers for over 2 years and currently has not one but 2 Tesla HPWCs and 2 J1772's but their website has no listing of EV charging under their hotel amenities.

http://charlottesville.place.hyatt.com/en/hotel/our-hotel/hotel-features.html

Reactions: newtman