Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadster - Sport eddition

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

WarpedOne

Supreme Premier
Supporting Member
Aug 17, 2006
Slovenia, Europe
Timo posted this on the Roadster blog:
Since I first heard about this company in every time I see a safety-car in F1 races I have been thinking that it should be Tesla Roadster with hardtop :) . Even that F1 safety car isn’t quite normal road car (modified Mercedes-Benz CLK 63 AMG with 354 kW V8) Tesla roadster with it’s huge acceleration should be able to do quite similar job….or not. Just found this :”The top speed I can reach, on Silverstone’s long straight for example, is 155mph - but it looks like 60mph compared to the F1 cars,”. 155mph is quite a bit faster than what Tesla Roadster can do.

I remembered my vague estimations about how fast 250HP roadster could go. In that thread I came up with about 160mph in appropriate third gear. Some time ago we also learned that Tesla had to limit the top speed to 125mph because of adequate cooling as current motor is air cooled. I understand there may not be enough space around for effectively aircooling it while constantly running above 120+kW. Liquid cooling?

In that therad someone mentioned that ESS is not capable of constantly outputting more than 120kW. Did we learn something that says otherwise?