Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Traffic jam driving: difference between TACC and AP

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As far as I understand from several users and the tech people at Tesla Belgium there is very little difference between TACC and AP for driving in traffic jams. TACC automatically stops and starts driving as long as you don't stop for longer than 20 seconds. After that you have to enable it again. AP basically does the same but you enable it again by pushing the throttle. Anyways, your hands (both?) need to remain on the steering wheel. Is this correct? I only want to drive automatically in traffic jams, I don't want autosteer (pretty useless if you need to keep your hands on the steering wheel anyway) and I don't want autopark neither.

Autopilot describes a suite of driver assistance features.

One of these is TACC, another is Autosteering.

In an AP equipped car, you can enable just TACC or both TACC and Auto steering at any time.

I don't have any personal experience, but the videos I've seen suggest auto steering doesn't require your hands constantly on the wheel in stop and go traffic.
Walter

In an AP equipped car, you can enable just TACC or both TACC and Auto steering at any time.
Point of clarification: This ("at any time") is incorrect in some obvious ways (car is off, car is parked, etc.) and some non-obvious ways (minimum speed limits, environmental conditions that impact visibility, quality of road markings, etc.).

This is correct though:
In an AP equipped car with current firmware, you can enable just TACC or both TACC and Auto steering (but you can't enable autosteering without TACC)

If you'd like to enable autosteering without TACC, the closest approximation that I'm aware of is to set the TACC speed to something "small" (like 20mph in a 50mph zone) and control the speed "manually" with the accelerator pedal.

You're right about the details.

However, the point I was attempting to make was that the two are separately selected by explicit driver actions, and I didn't include the fine print because I felt it would confuse the basic message.