Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Using Michelin X-Ice Xi3 tires in Hawaii

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Papafox

Supporting Member
Jan 12, 2013
Hawaii
Referral Code
Ok, before you think I'm nuts about using a snow tire on the Island of Oahu (where it hasn't snowed in recorded history), let me explain that my 70D is on the mainland, I hope to use if for a month of driving from Reno to Tahoe for daily skiing, and then I'm likely shipping the car home to Oahu in Hawaii. Perhaps I can find someone who will pay a reasonable amount of money for winter tires with only a month of use, but plan B is to keep them on the car when it is shipped to Hawaii and use them there until they wear out. I would also pay to ship my 4 season tires to Hawaii and use them to replace the Michelin X-Ice Xi3s when the Michelins wear out.

My understanding is that the Michelins get reasonably good energy efficiency (since I generate all my own electricity on the roof of my house I am willing to take a small hit)
My understanding is that the Michelins are pretty good on wet surfaces (which is really important in Hawaii)

Your thoughts?

I have no experience with the X-Ice tires myself, but have used various incarnations of Nokians over the years. What am I reminded of every fall right after the winters go on and before the snow starts to stick? That I've got to allow for more stopping distance with the winters - especially in the rain. I just about get into trouble every year! The winters are good in the snow and on ice, but they feel really squirmy and not very sticky in the rain... the pavement feels greasy. The all-seasons are much better.

Perhaps it's just the Nokians, but I suspect the tread pattern and rubber composition of a typical winter tire isn't really ideal for wet conditions above the freeze point. I'll be interested to hear what other people have experienced though.

I would suggest using Nokian WR-g3 severe service all-seasons. The traction difference between them and X-Ice is minimal and they take heat just fine. I use them in Texas as winter tires. There is a slight Wh/mil penalty compared to Primacy.

I have X Ice 3s on now. They are not great in warm water. Not great at all. In early winter and early spring in WI when a week of 50s with rain is just as likely as a week of 20s with snow, I will sometimes invest the 30mins on an evening to switch my tires for the weather of the upcoming week. XIce is a snow tire. Totally 100% a snow and ice tire. Anything other weather...it is not the right tire.

I agree with the above. I've used X-Ice3 as my winter tires through 2 seasons now and they are very squirmy when it's warm. Mine go on T'giving weekend but with the warm stretch lately I may delay further. I wouldn't classify them as dangerous but after a week or two on them in warm weather you'll want to go back to your regular tires.

I agree with the above. I've used X-Ice3 as my winter tires through 2 seasons now and they are very squirmy when it's warm. Mine go on T'giving weekend but with the warm stretch lately I may delay further. I wouldn't classify them as dangerous but after a week or two on them in warm weather you'll want to go back to your regular tires.

I have X Ice 3s on now. They are not great in warm water. Not great at all. In early winter and early spring in WI when a week of 50s with rain is just as likely as a week of 20s with snow, I will sometimes invest the 30mins on an evening to switch my tires for the weather of the upcoming week. XIce is a snow tire. Totally 100% a snow and ice tire. Anything other weather...it is not the right tire.

John and Jeffs, Many thanks for the quick replies. We just don't get much experience using winter tires here in Hawaii. I think I'll try to find some used winter tires, use them for 3 or 4 weeks, then resell them. Packing them to Hawaii obviously is the wrong thing to do.

You can use those tires on Mauna Kea! :tongue:

OK nanimac, you're in charge of getting the superferry running between the islands again! Do that and we can indeed plan on a bunch of us exploring the Big Island in Teslas. Is this too much to ask?

I think you are doing the right thing.

That said, I have my X-Ices on now, and ran them all last winter. Typically, it's 40 degrees and rain here, and they did just fine. Maybe not as good as all-seasons, but much better than my factory 21/ContiSport tires do.

John and Jeffs, Many thanks for the quick replies. We just don't get much experience using winter tires here in Hawaii. I think I'll try to find some used winter tires, use them for 3 or 4 weeks, then resell them. Packing them to Hawaii obviously is the wrong thing to do.

In my experience from last winter the X-Ice performed well, even on dry or wet pavement. I don't think they are dangerous if you don't have constant ice on the roads.

However, the driving experience is very different compared with my staggered performance summer set-up.
Whereas the summer tires are planted on the road (and BTW, they are LOUD), the X-Ice are silent, but very squishy.
I don't think that it's because the tires lose contact with the road, I think there is just way more give within the tire or the tread.
Hence, going around corners and quickly changing directions feels weird, somewhat rubbery.
Also, they will wear much more quickly in over 45 degree temperatures.

the X-Ice are silent, but very squishy.
I don't think that it's because the tires lose contact with the road, I think there is just way more give within the tire or the tread
That is the definition of winter tires. The more flexible they are (both tread and carcass) the better they wrap around irregular surfaces.

That is the definition of winter tires. The more flexible they are (both tread and carcass) the better they wrap around irregular surfaces.
True. And that's perfect for ice and slippery conditions. But they're also so soft that you can feel the tread yielding to the surface when pushed hard (non-winter conditions) and not resisting enough to create good traction. You can practically feel the tread pattern folding over when pushed hard on unfrozen dry pavement... dragging more than pushing.

True. And that's perfect for ice and slippery conditions. But they're also so soft that you can feel the tread yielding to the surface when pushed hard (non-winter conditions) and not resisting enough to create good traction. You can practically feel the tread pattern folding over when pushed hard on unfrozen dry pavement... dragging more than pushing.

Correct. The best answer for when you need traction but also need to cope with warm to hot weather because the temperature fluctuates rapidly are the Nokian severe service all-seasons. I've used them and they are better than all but the best snow tires (X-Ice and RS2 are better, but that's about it), and they don't melt in the heat. Perfect for when one week is -5C and snow and the next is 30C, or if you go to the mountains for skiing but spend most of the time at low altitudes where it never gets very cold.

Correct. The best answer for when you need traction but also need to cope with warm to hot weather because the temperature fluctuates rapidly are the Nokian severe service all-seasons. I've used them and they are better than all but the best snow tires (X-Ice and RS2 are better, but that's about it), and they don't melt in the heat. Perfect for when one week is -5C and snow and the next is 30C, or if you go to the mountains for skiing but spend most of the time at low altitudes where it never gets very cold.

Jerry, I will keep the Nokian severe service all-seasons in mind, in case I see a reasonably-priced opportunity to pick some up.

In my experience from last winter the X-Ice performed well, even on dry or wet pavement. I don't think they are dangerous if you don't have constant ice on the roads.

However, the driving experience is very different compared with my staggered performance summer set-up.
Whereas the summer tires are planted on the road (and BTW, they are LOUD), the X-Ice are silent, but very squishy.
I don't think that it's because the tires lose contact with the road, I think there is just way more give within the tire or the tread.
Hence, going around corners and quickly changing directions feels weird, somewhat rubbery.
Also, they will wear much more quickly in over 45 degree temperatures.

Yes, squishy and squirrly. If I had the option, I would not use them in the summer or as all-season alternatives.