Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EM Tweet: Ramping up autopilot team -- email -- proof of skills

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

scottf200

Feb 3, 2013
Chicagoland
@elonmusk: Ramping up the Autopilot software team at Tesla to achieve generalized full autonomy. If interested, contact [email protected].
@elonmusk: We are looking for hardcore software engineers. No prior experience with cars required. Please include code sample or link to your work.
@elonmusk: Should mention that I will be interviewing people personally and Autopilot reports directly to me. This is a super high priority. [update]

Image: http://i.imgur.com/aHeGTfM.png
aHeGTfM.png

Last edited:
@elonmusk: Ramping up the Autopilot software team at Tesla to achieve generalized full autonomy. If interested, contact [email protected].
@elonmusk: We are looking for hardcore software engineers. No prior experience with cars required. Please include code sample or link to your work.

Image: http://i.imgur.com/aHeGTfM.png
View attachment 101463

Gorilla marketing at its greatest. He tweeted 10 minutes after he was on Big Bang Theory and Howard was asking him for an engineering job.

Love the way Elon publicizes job opportunities at Tesla. My wife and I are laughing about "Should mention that I will be interviewing people personally and Autopilot reports directly to me, This is a super high priority."
But there's no pressure.
No doubt tomorrow there will be a seeking alpha article titled "Tesla falling behind and desperate for engineers, company on the brink!" or similar nonsense.

Not sure this is such a good sign to advert by twitter. If i wanted really skilled programmers, i would go to reddit. Or perhaps skynet has become self aware and has now controlled EM's twitter account...
Agree ...but it seems to be Elon's modus operandi, perhaps because he's comfortable with short tweets he can get out rapidly when it's part of his mind stream and easily ignore what he considers noise, vs spending the time for him, or better yet his HR Team to go through the initial vetting process for him to then do final interviews if thats what he wants to do. I also think the whole "Elon Tweet" thing has become part of Tesla's marketing and Elon's PR strategy to keep the media and everyone talking. We are, aren't we? ;)

To me, and as much as I love what can AND HAS been done with an entrepreneurial approach like we keep seeing (it's in part why I bought my MS, probably like many of us), I also think it demonstrates why some things never seem to quite get finished, or sometimes logical refinements never seem to come that only real users of a product day-in-and-day-out can identify -- because a real smart individual's lightning-speed thought process may already be on to the next big thing, when owners and future customers are still scratching their heads wondering why some things in their product are SO great, and they love what's being communicated as tomorrow's next best thing, yet tweaks and communication that would greatly improve both present and future owner's experience seem to be ignored sometimes for years... As has been suggested, Media Player, Nav, etc come to mind.

I strongly believe Elon and Tesla would serve themselves well with a little more focus ensuring "the I's get dotted and the T's get crossed on what has been started", along with circling back using real customer advisory input on "what can be improved with what we have", as well as "what we need for the future", are prerequisites to future volume sales.

I strongly believe Elon and Tesla would serve themselves well with a little more focus ensuring "the I's get dotted and the T's get crossed on what has been started", along with circling back using real customer advisory input on "what can be improved with what we have", as well as "what we need for the future", are prerequisites to future volume sales.

They've done that. Creep, hill hold, safety, changing vehicle options back when requested - tires comes to mind, and so on. Have they missed/not fulfilled certain features (media player, nav)? Sure. But they've also checked off a lot of things all the while continuing to improve vehicles for current and future owners, expanding stores, SCs, SuperCharger Network, fighting the establishment, et al.

The reality is that what you see is what you get and no amount of wishing or hoping is going to turn Tesla into what we're all used to dealing with. There's a plan and come hell or high water the plan is going to be moved forward and realized because that's far more important to future generations than whether or not the media player isn't entirely up to snuff. First we have to transition to sustainable energy and transport, then will be the time to spend the next 100 years incrementally improving the vanity mirrors.

I strongly believe enough has already been done and will be done to ensure future volume sales. And I'm also perfectly okay with Elon reaching out to his almost 3M twitter followers and by extension their millions of family members and friends looking for talent. You never know where you might find the next brilliant individual and limiting yourself to the obvious places isn't necessarily going to get you what you want, so there's not a thing wrong with overturning every single rock.