Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Audi Commits To Nationwide 150 kW Fast Charge Network In U.S.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

scottf200

Feb 3, 2013
Chicagoland
LA Auto show
Audi Commits To Nationwide 150 kW Fast Charge Network In U.S. - Video

Image: http://i.imgur.com/XwCtEHy.png
XwCtEHy.png

Apparently a 600 mile range EV too
I know you're mocking the display, and that's perfectly valid, but they do say 80% charge is 200 miles so I guess it's a 250 mile EV, of course it's also a purely hypothetical EV, so it can really be any range they want...
They also say 80% in 30 minutes

For comparison Tesla claims 80% in 40 minutes on an 85kWh pack, and claims 270 mile range, so that would be 216 miles in 40 minutes

This would put the Audi one ahead, except for the thousands of other caveats that have already been posted in multiple other threads on this forum (such as 150kW, but at 800v so it's not all that fast for anyone without a real high voltage battery...)

I'm not sure what to think of Audi's plans for the future.

g-tron
Audi Worldwide Audi tron
runs on both the fossil fuel natural gas and on climate-friendly Audi e-gas, which Audi itself produces at a recently completed power-to-gas plant.

h-tron
Audi A7 Sportback h-tron > Models > Studies > AUDI AG
uses a powerful, sporty electric drive with a fuel cell as its energy source, in combination with a hybrid battery and an additional electric motor in the rear.

Probably the same as right now, keep putting out press releases on any new technology that will get you media coverage while never actually delivering on anything.
This wasn't a press release tho.

I wouldn't keep discounting the big boys. They have some know how.

Title: Audi President Declares Automaker Is “Joining The Electric Revolution”
Link: Audi President Declares Automaker Is

audi-tweets.jpg

I predict that these fast chargers will be located primarily at Audi dealerships—not the ideal location for a highway stop in terms of food and other services. Car dealerships tend to be located in commercially-zoned no mans lands.

If everything Audi says is true, this is certainly a positive step toward the goal of converting the world to sustainable transport. However, when comparing Audi's proposed vehicles to Tesla's, it's worth noting...

• Tesla has pioneered dozens of new technologies in its cars over the past 11 years. The battery is only one piece of it. To duplicate or improve on the feel of a Tesla drivetrain will be no small task. Tesla's variable torque inverter took years to perfect.

• Tesla owners do 99% of their charging at home while they're asleep. Slightly faster on-road charging is not going to be a game changer.

• Tesla's existing Supercharger technology has the capability to go beyond 130kW.

I wouldn't keep discounting the big boys. They have some know how.
Fool me once, shame on you.
Fool me twice, shame on me.
Wake me up when I can BUY an 250mile EPA EV from Audi. A 300mile A5 and I'm buying.
A lesser EV does not interest me at least.

Paroles, paroles ...

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not sure what to think of Audi's plans for the future.

g-tron
Audi Worldwide Audi tron
runs on both the fossil fuel natural gas and on climate-friendly Audi e-gas, which Audi itself produces at a recently completed power-to-gas plant.

h-tron
Audi A7 Sportback h-tron > Models > Studies > AUDI AG

It's nice to see how they write about these cars as though the exist, which they don't.

I predict that these fast chargers will be located primarily at Audi dealerships—not the ideal location for a highway stop in terms of food and other services. Car dealerships tend to be located in commercially-zoned no mans lands.

If everything Audi says is true, this is certainly a positive step toward the goal of converting the world to sustainable transport. However, when comparing Audi's proposed vehicles to Tesla's, it's worth noting...

• Tesla has pioneered dozens of new technologies in its cars over the past 11 years. The battery is only one piece of it. To duplicate or improve on the feel of a Tesla drivetrain will be no small task. Tesla's variable torque inverter took years to perfect.

• Tesla owners do 99% of their charging at home while they're asleep. Slightly faster on-road charging is not going to be a game changer.

• Tesla's existing Supercharger technology has the capability to go beyond 130kW.

It looks like the major car companies are converging on a 150kw charging standard. I think it is likely GM will pay a third party to install some fast chargers in the U.S., and in return receive a portion of revenue from those devices. So Audi could arrive in the US with some chargers already working.

Considering the R&D and marketing budgets of purpose built EVs, spending money on chargers should not be a difficult decision. Especially considering that some or all of the investment will be repaid. I would be shocked if GM bought into Tesla's network, but it could happen.

Dare I say, some of you sound like a bunch of Kodak employees around the water cooler mocking other companies' digital camera plans 20+ years ago.

Edit - Now that I've had a second cup of coffee, maybe not the best analogy, what I meant was this thread is full of "Yeah, our team's #1! Everyone else is stupid! No one else can figure out what we have!" Puh-leeze. Someone cue the "Big Oil and Big Auto are in cahoots for world domination" conspiracy theories.

Last edited:
Not at all tga. IF Audi actually starts selling battery powered cars and IF they build out a 150 kW charging network, then I think they'll be successful. It's just we're doubtful they will actually do this, given their track history.

Dare I say, some of you sound like a bunch of Kodak employees around the water cooler mocking other companies' digital camera plans 20+ years ago.

Edit - Now that I've had a second cup of coffee, maybe not the best analogy, what I meant was this thread is full of "Yeah, our team's #1! Everyone else is stupid! No one else can figure out what we have!" Puh-leeze. Someone cue the "Big Oil and Big Auto are in cahoots for world domination" conspiracy theories.

Did they give any details on the charging network, other than "There will be one"? That's my problem right now? Until someone asks them some hard questions on it that suggests they've actually thought about it constructively, it's merely a concept. Where? How many? How much? All important questions. Don't need super specific answers, but they do need to demonstrate they have more idea than "there will be chargers".

For me personally the reason Audi makes me laugh is the fact that they have been leaders in EV related press releases but are yet to release one EV whatsoever. I'm not saying this tongue in cheek but in all seriousness: without having counted I'm fairly certain Audi have made the most EV related press announcements of all incumbents while never having ever had even 1 EV tested by a car magazine or consumer (yes, not even the mythical R8 e-tron).

And yeah, the water cooler Kodak analogy is a poor one. This is "Tesla Motors Club", not "Stuck in the I.C.E. Age Club".