Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Paint Protection

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This topic has been covered in the Model S thread, but after reading older posts there I can see that things have changed.

a) TM no longer offers installation of paint protection film (PPF).

b) Tesla Service Centers WILL NOT ALLOW independent PPF installers to work in the SC to install the PPF prior to delivery (or at any time, for that matter). "It is our policy to not allow any installation of any products before delivery. We have to deliver you a factory original car without any modification that could alter or damage its original state. Furthermore it is not permitted to have non Tesla employees perform work on our premises. I hope this explanation is sufficient as we try to maintain a high standard for our product."
To say this irritates me is putting it mildly.:mad: I have had PPF installed on my last two ICE cars by the dealership prior to delivery.

My nearest SC is 120 miles away, so getting PPF installed immediately after delivery means nearly 500 miles of driving with the wife to pick up the MX, drive it to the detailer, then return a few days later to the detailer to pick up the finished car.

Does anyone have a better solution? Does anyone have experience with a PPF installer and film in the Rockville, MD area?

This topic has been covered in the Model S thread, but after reading older posts there I can see that things have changed.

b) Tesla Service Centers WILL NOT ALLOW independent PPF installers to work in the SC to install the PPF prior to delivery (or at any time, for that matter). "It is our policy to not allow any installation of any products before delivery. We have to deliver you a factory original car without any modification that could alter or damage its original state. Furthermore it is not permitted to have non Tesla employees perform work on our premises. I hope this explanation is sufficient as we try to maintain a high standard for our product."
To say this irritates me is putting it mildly.:mad: I have had PPF installed on my last two ICE cars by the dealership prior to delivery.

My nearest SC is 120 miles away, so getting PPF installed immediately after delivery means nearly 500 miles of driving with the wife to pick up the MX, drive it to the detailer, then return a few days later to the detailer to pick up the finished car.

Does anyone have a better solution? Does anyone have experience with a PPF installer and film in the Rockville, MD area?

Yes we actually have an installer in Rockville area, they do great work. click: XPEL MARYLAND for a full list.

All American Paint Protection
15125 Frederick Rd
Rockville, MD 20855 View Map
http://www.clear-bra-maryland.com

Have you ever had an issue with installing XPEL on paint that new? I've heard some say you should wait for a curing process to take place. Others have said that the factory paint is baked on so there's no concern.

I, too, would like to have XPEL put on as soon as possible.

Have you ever had an issue with installing XPEL on paint that new? I've heard some say you should wait for a curing process to take place. Others have said that the factory paint is baked on so there's no concern.

I, too, would like to have XPEL put on as soon as possible.

If you're concerned once you pickup your vehicle, you can put your nose approximately an inch away from the paint and if there are still outgassing chemical smell coming off of it (if that happens, then it's too soon). But we have not seen any issues here personally at our shop in San Antonio

If you're concerned once you pickup your vehicle, you can put your nose approximately an inch away from the paint and if there are still outgassing chemical smell coming off of it (if that happens, then it's too soon). But we have not seen any issues here personally at our shop in San Antonio

Thanks, I'll do that. You guys have any installers in Eugene, Oregon?

What they installed was pretty bad. It only covered half the hood and looked awful on about day three. Stopping was a good decision.

It takes a couple of days to install PPF if the installer is doing it carefully. Tesla SCs don't have extra room to have a car just sit while someone else works there.

Anyone have any info on Opticoat Pro...or Distinctiv_Detailing in Fremont Ca for application?? Please PM me...

I had Opticoat done on my wife's Lexus and my BMW 2 and 3 years ago. Still looks like the day it was done. Cars are incredibly easy to keep clean. Both cars are garaged. Key is to find a shop that knows how to do the prep and paint correction before applying. I'm in NJ so can't help you with a shop in CA.

I had Opticoat done on my wife's Lexus and my BMW 2 and 3 years ago. Still looks like the day it was done. Cars are incredibly easy to keep clean. Both cars are garaged. Key is to find a shop that knows how to do the prep and paint correction before applying. I'm in NJ so can't help you with a shop in CA.
Where in NJ and approximate cost? I'm in NYC and on the fence about paint treatment (expecting an X in 4-6 months). Thanks!

... I have had PPF installed on my last two ICE cars by the dealership prior to delivery...
Well, after the problems my detailer is having with the Model X clear coat causing bumps on the clear bra, I understand why Tesla Motors does not allow any protective film installations at the Service Center.

Each vehicle is different, so some may require more time and others less time. Get your detailer to examine the vehicle ASAP after delivery, and let them provide recommendations based on the condition of the paint surface.