Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does 120 km/h Limit Exist?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If I could drop this into a forum section that all of Europe would read, I would... but I'll try this one!

Do you have 120 km/h speed limits anywhere over your way? And if so, does the Tesla camera read and interpret them correctly?

I ask because it's not a common limit here, but there is one highway at least in BC that has bumped the limit to 120 km/h. The signs look just like the other speed limit signs here, but for some reason the Tesla camera will not read (or not believe) 120 km/h. We're wondering if this is a software sanity check (120 doesn't exist, so don't show it on the dash) or a problem with interpreting the sign/font.

I think your signs might look different to ours, so maybe not a completely fair question, but wondering anyway...!

If I could drop this into a forum section that all of Europe would read, I would... but I'll try this one!

A slightly unfortunate choice, since our limits are in miles not km - a 120 limit would hardly need signing here!

Do you have 120 km/h speed limits anywhere over your way? And if so, does the Tesla camera read and interpret them correctly?

120 is certainly found elsewhere in Europe. Can't personally say whether the AP reads them correctly.

I think your signs might look different to ours, so maybe not a completely fair question, but wondering anyway...!

Yes, in the UK (and much of Europe), mandatory speed limit signs are numbers enclosed in a red circle (including, recently, electronic message board signs that if able to display a red circle around their white numbers can introduce a mandatory limit).

Ordinary (square) signs with black numbers and no red circle in the UK are 'advisory' (non-enforceable) limits - and similarly older electronic signs that don't show the red circle. So if a car here saw one of your style of speed limit sign it is entitled to ignore it.

In short, not sure European experience is going to answer your question...

A slightly unfortunate choice, since our limits are in miles not km - a 120 limit would hardly need signing here!
D'oh! I honestly thought you'd converted to metric... grams of sliced ham at the deli, height in cm's etc... Didn't currency get changed to a more logical system as well? I apologize for assuming - should have Googled this first! :redface:

In Finland 120km/h speed limit is common and Tesla camera reads it correctly. For winter they always reduce it to 100km/h.
So if Google is right, your signs look like this:

2d274908073407-today-finnish-road-sign-150328_4603a2b7ecec72ee311662cc0eedf25b.today-inline-larg.jpg

Ours look like this:

64725BCLN2007BrjwxCDCQAEJ4QG3.jpg

We've been wondering why the Tesla camera absolutely refuses to read this sign (and the rest of them just like it on the same highway). Seems clear enough to me...

D'oh! I honestly thought you'd converted to metric... grams of sliced ham at the deli, height in cm's etc... Didn't currency get changed to a more logical system as well? I apologize for assuming - should have Googled this first! :redface:.

Yes, we fixed the currency in 1971, and most other things went metric gradually over a period of time (filling stations continued to advertise the price of fuel in both gallons and litres long after the official pricing had switched to litres). There were reasonably concrete plans made to convert speed limits in the 70's, but that would have had to be a 'big bang' change, and in the end it was decided that the cost of converting signs etc was just too much.

Perhaps the NA software doesn't believe 120 because it interprets it in mph; does it read 100 correctly?
I wondered that myself. Canada is all metric, and the car does recognize all the other signs as being km/h (that I've noted). 100 km/h is a common enough speed up here and seems to be reliably recognized. I'm trying to recall if it reads 110 km/h reliably or not... I think it does... but that speed isn't as common around where I live (anymore - 110 was raised to 120!). My gut says '120' is the big issue - I've had 0.00% success with those signs and I have yet to come across another MS owner who has add any success at all with them.

I wondered that myself. Canada is all metric, and the car does recognize all the other signs as being km/h (that I've noted). 100 km/h is a common enough speed up here and seems to be reliably recognized.

I don't have the feature, but am curious to know what would happen if you had the car's settings in Miles (as I do) in Canada. Would it think that 100 km/h is 100 MPH? Similarly, what happens when you cross the border between Canada and the US. Does the car "know" where it is by GPS or does it base this on the user's km vs miles settings?

I don't have the feature, but am curious to know what would happen if you had the car's settings in Miles (as I do) in Canada. Would it think that 100 km/h is 100 MPH? Similarly, what happens when you cross the border between Canada and the US. Does the car "know" where it is by GPS or does it base this on the user's km vs miles settings?
Good questions... but given the way the GPS seems to enter into the process when a sign isn't seen, or hasn't been seen in a few miles, I suspect the GPS is very much involved in knowing what the units are based simply on location.

I for one have so many questions about the details 'under the hood'... it would be amazing if Tesla prepared some sort of detailed manual that answered these questions.

It is location based. When I entered the UK before switching to miles, it would show a 30 sign as 48. Unfortunately you can't switch only the speedometer. I would still like the navigation to show distances in km and the parking sensors in cm while driving in the UK.

It is location based. When I entered the UK before switching to miles, it would show a 30 sign as 48. Unfortunately you can't switch only the speedometer. I would still like the navigation to show distances in km and the parking sensors in cm while driving in the UK.
Very interesting. I'll be watching for this when I drive into the US next year.

I agree that more control over units would be great. I'd like to have km's and psi for instance!

At least MS shows temperatures in Celsius in UK with distances in miles, unlike some cars I've seen which assume that you want Fahrenheit if you use miles.

I too would like more granular control over displayed units. Miles is probably best for driving in UK because that's what signposts and speed limits use, but I'd prefer the proximity sensors to be metric. Come to think of it, it wouldn't be that hard to show both.