Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are the OEM wheels cast or forged?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Perhaps I am just useless at searching but I couldn't find any existing thread on this.

Does anyone know, authoritatively, whether the OEM wheels Tesla supply for the Model S (standard wheels, 19" cyclones, 21" turbines) are cast or forged?

Lots of people seem to assume that they're forged (mostly because they're priced high enough that they should be) but then TSportline sell forged replacement wheels that are 20% lighter and also 20% more expensive, which casts doubt on that.

Does anyone know, and if so can they reveal their source?

• Helpful
Reactions: FutureShock
Forged or cast, it is common for OEM wheel designs to be quite robust in order to withstand harsh road conditions. Aftermarket manufacturers will push the envelope a bit more. Unfortunately, robustness comes at the expense of weight. Bottom line: I wouldn't take weight to be an indication that they're cast.

The base 19" wheels aren't priced that high. For example, you can buy a 19" winter tire setup for $2500. This is pretty reasonable for an OEM (any OEM) 19" wheel! The 21" wheels, however, definitely command a forged-worthy price premium.

I'm sure the base 19" wheels are cast. I'd be quite surprised if the others were forged. This is not authoritative.

Hardly any auto manufacturer uses Forged wheels. Of course forged are far superior, they are much more costly.
Considering the 21" wheels are a $4,500 option and most 21" cast wheels cost $200-$300 each, you can see the large profit in them.

A few auto makers offer OEM forged wheels ... BMW, Porsche and Audi to name a few.
Since the bolt pattern is the same for Tesla and BMW, I picked up a set of M6 forged wheels.
They are much lighter and stronger than stock, with a more aggressive offset and rim width.

IMG_3882.JPG
IMG_3883.JPG

Only on some of their models. What is ironic though is that even some other auto makers use forged wheels, they charge less than the silly $4,500 price Tesla does for cast wheels! For me it was a no-brainer to go with the standard 19" wheels and get a nice set of aftermarket forged 21".

Only on some of their models.
What is ironic though is that even some other auto makers use forged wheels, they charge less than the silly $4,500 price Tesla does for cast wheels!
For me it was a no-brainer to go with the standard 19" wheels and get a nice set of aftermarket forged 21".

I Agree completely. I was able to purchase a complete set of pre-owned BMW Forged wheels for less than the price of 1 new Tesla wheel.
Plus I like the staggered width and the deep concave look of the wheels on the car. The weight savings is also a bonus ... 10lbs per corner.

A few auto makers offer OEM forged wheels ... BMW, Porsche and Audi to name a few.
Since the bolt pattern is the same for Tesla and BMW, I picked up a set of M6 forged wheels.
They are much lighter and stronger than stock, with a more aggressive offset and rim width.
What size wheels, offset, width are these as they look fantastic on your S!! :)

I am specifically interested in upgrading from the OEM 19 slipstreams to forged 20 inch wheels (staggered ofcourse and at a minimum 245 in the front and 275 in the rear or 285 would be even better) simply because I have to stick with All Season tires as opposed to Z rated tires (can't afford to change my tires that often as Z rated tires don't last very long)

Thanks very much in advance!

I Agree completely. I was able to purchase a complete set of pre-owned BMW Forged wheels for less than the price of 1 new Tesla wheel.
Plus I like the staggered width and the deep concave look of the wheels on the car. The weight savings is also a bonus ... 10lbs per corner.

Did you noticed any significant range improvement with the forged wheels, or is it basically a handling and cosmetic thing?

What size wheels, offset, width are these as they look fantastic on your S!! :)

I am specifically interested in upgrading from the OEM 19 slipstreams to forged 20 inch wheels (staggered ofcourse and at a minimum 245 in the front and 275 in the rear or 285 would be even better) simply because I have to stick with All Season tires as opposed to Z rated tires (can't afford to change my tires that often as Z rated tires don't last very long)

Thanks very much in advance!