Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Launch limiter?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would love to be able to set a speed limit for launches. Maybe someone has brought this up, but I haven't seen it. Wouldn't it be great, on a street with a posted 35mph limit for instance, to be able accelerate to the speed limit (or whatever limit you set)and not have to worry about suddenly noticing you've accelerated to 70 in a 35 zone? Or to 90 instead of 70 when you're entering the freeway? Once you've reached your set speed, deactivation of the limiter could be achieved simply by backing off, then reapplying pressure to the accelerator pedal, or by activating TACC or standard cruise control.

Does anyone else think this would be a pretty cool feature?

Yes I would love a feature like that. There are cars that have these kind of features which shows there is a demand and it makes sense. I'd love to see some customization in general. It would be just a matter of software, no hardware needed in any way. Yes everything could be achieved by the way you drive the car. But that argument would stop any kind of convenient feature like auto pilot or cruise control.

If I'm understanding what you're asking about correctly there may be something similar already available.

When sitting at a stoplight or stop sign move the cruise control stalk up or down until the sped you want to accelerate to is displayed beneath the cruise control icon.

Then when it's time to go just activate cruise control and the car speeds up the the speed you set.

I've discovered this "feature" a few times by accident after turning off of a freeway and then activating cruise control on a side street only to find myself accelerating wildly toward the previous freeway speed until I either bump the cruise control stalk down to the desired speed or disengage the cruise control completely.

Augh! After writing I got in the car to try it out and realized autopilot will not engage when sitting still unless sitting behind another vehicle.

So ignore the following (moderator, feel free to remove).

If I'm understanding what you're asking about correctly there may be something similar already available.

When sitting at a stoplight or stop sign move the cruise control stalk up or down until the sped you want to accelerate to is displayed beneath the cruise control icon.

Then when it's time to go just activate cruise control and the car speeds up the the speed you set.

I've discovered this "feature" a few times by accident after turning off of a freeway and then activating cruise control on a side street only to find myself accelerating wildly toward the previous freeway speed until I either bump the cruise control stalk down to the desired speed or disengage the cruise control completely.