Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Stuck on 3G? (Definitely a first world problem)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

wayner

Oct 29, 2014
Toronto
A little over a week ago I had the LTE upgrade performed on my P85D. A couple of times since then when in parking garages the radio switched down to 3G and stayed using 3G after I got out of the garage despite the fact that there should have been a strong LTE signal (my phone was on LTE) as I was on my normal route to work where I get LTE on a daily basis. I had to reboot the centre screen to get it back to 3G on one instance - on another instance it finally switched back to LTE after about 25 minutes.

Has anyone else seen this behavior?

Note that I am in Canada and we have had other issues with having trouble locking onto a 3G signal in the past but these appear to have been fixed with V7.

So nobody else has this issue? It happens to me pretty much everyday - when I am at the underground parking garage at work the radio switches to 3G and either doesn't switch back to LTE at all or only does so after a very long time - like 30 minutes. Maybe this is a Canadian issue like previous problems consummating a 3G connection.

It's entirely possible that the car can't get a good LTE signal underground but can get a good 3G signal. The fact that it takes ages to switch back is more difficult to understand. Have you tried doing something that uses mobile date (like internet radio or maps) to see if that causes the car to look for a better signal?

So nobody else has this issue? It happens to me pretty much everyday - when I am at the underground parking garage at work the radio switches to 3G and either doesn't switch back to LTE at all or only does so after a very long time - like 30 minutes. Maybe this is a Canadian issue like previous problems consummating a 3G connection.

Sorry Wayner - not evident. I got the LTE upgrade a month ago, and have only seen the 3G or E symbol in weak cell areas.

What he said.

Slacker songs load in about 1 second - the progress bar just zips across.

It is a shame that Tesla didn't do anything about the browser in V7 - it is just as crappy as it was ever was.

I had the upgrade done a few days ago. I live out in the country and although my iPhone is generally on LTE, the car has been defaulting to 3G near the house. Or so it says: yesterday I noticed Slacker songs still loading in a flash even though the display said 3G, not LTE. So I think the car may be using LTE more than the display indicates.

Maps load MUCH faster. Songs load on Slacker quickly. No change to browser (known issue -is browser problem).

On 3G my maps already load pretty darn quick. I had someone in my car (who was about to get the LTE upgrade done) comment that my maps seemed to load a lot quicker than his did. When I drive, there is no perceivable delay. The satellite view with traffic overlay is "just there" and scrolls along perfectly smoothly. If I do have an outage and the screen is all grey, when the signal comes back, the tiles seem to come back in over a 3 to 4 second interval... hardly the end of the world for me.

Slacker and TuneIn work flawlessly for me. A typical 3-minute song will load in about 2 or 3 seconds. Since it's buffered, I can't see that having it stream in 1 second would afford me any benefit.

I think I must live and travel in decent 3G coverage areas. I did spend some time in the Niagara Region and found my car flipping back to E (Edge) and that was painful. In fact, it's almost useless. The maps may take 5 minutes to load and music seems to take forever too. If I had to put up with that, I'd spring for the upgrade, but honestly can't see any benefit at all based on my good 3G coverage driving areas.

Last edited: