Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How well does AP work for you?

How well does AP work?

• What you mean I can't use it everywhere? (i.e. I have no idea what the intended use is)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Max*

Charging
Apr 8, 2015
NoVa
I've seen a few people complain that AP doesn't work well for them and they're abstaining from being a beta tester for Tesla. Then there's the "AP tried to kill me" video, etc.

I think AP does an amazing job, when used close to the conditions it's advertised for. So for you, how well does AP work? (Poll coming)

When used on local roads IMHO it's dangerous and should not be used except in very exceptional circumstances such as stop and go and then carefully monitored. For highway use, it's pretty good if you stay away from the right lane so it's not fooled by exits. Occasionally it will do something crazy like lurch towards a truck as you're passing it so it still requires very alert supervision. I still use it, but it's marginal.

I think it does an amazing job. I have a 150 mile roundtrip commute, of which only about 40 miles are freeway. It is flawless on the freeway, and can handle about 90% of the other roads without intervention. I've started to feel that cruise control without auto steer is weird and unsafe.

I've probably put 600+ miles on using AP. No major problems - just a few minor ones that I sort of expected with it being a beta and what not. (Mostly that's its still fine tuning what is a real threat, what isn't, and when the driver NEEDS to take full control).

I look at it like owning a pet cheetah. It's wicked cool but you can't ever put 100% of your trust in it. Because one day, when you aren't paying attention, it's liable to mess you up while going 70 MPH.

I've used it a lot, both long trips on interstate highways and locally. On long trips it's awesome, I voted near flawless.

On local roads it had lots of bugs, but I always have my hands on the wheel. It sucks at intersections. It sucks on curvy roads. Basically places it's not meant to be used, it doesn't do well. Big surprise!

The other day I used it in bumper-to-bumper traffic (literally 0-3mph) on a curved highway onramp, with no lane markings (fresh patch of asphalt). It followed the car in front of me flawlessly. I was actually very surprised.

I've used it a lot, both long trips on interstate highways and locally. On long trips it's awesome, I voted near flawless.

On local roads it had lots of bugs, but I always have my hands on the wheel. It sucks at intersections. It sucks on curvy roads. Basically places it's not meant to be used, it doesn't do well. Big surprise!

The other day I used it in bumper-to-bumper traffic (literally 0-3mph) on a curved highway onramp, with no lane markings (fresh patch of asphalt). It followed the car in front of me flawlessly. I was actually very surprised.
agreed. Used it for the first time on bumper to bumper highway traffic last night and it worked great. My ONLY concern was that the car seemed not to sense motorcycles that were "lane splitting." The car didn't react at all (which was good) but I sort of expected to see the passing rider on my sensors. Perhaps the motorcycles went by too fast to be detected?

agreed. Used it for the first time on bumper to bumper highway traffic last night and it worked great. My ONLY concern was that the car seemed not to sense motorcycles that were "lane splitting." The car didn't react at all (which was good) but I sort of expected to see the passing rider on my sensors. Perhaps the motorcycles went by too fast to be detected?

I'll need to pay attention to that. I know it can detect motorcycles when you're following one (same car image, as a regular car). But I've never paid attention if it sees a lane splitting motorcycle

I'll need to pay attention to that. I know it can detect motorcycles when you're following one (same car image, as a regular car). But I've never paid attention if it sees a lane splitting motorcycle
I guess it makes sense. If you're essential at a stand still and the cyclist passes you at 10 MPH, the MS' sensors may not have sufficient time to adequately register and display the passing object.

I noticed this same thing. And the fact that it seems to hug the right a bit, really makes it hard to use here in CA safely with all the lane-splitting. In traffic, I always try to stay to the leftmost of the left lane so the cycles can get through easily. AP makes this difficult. But, I still think that lane-splitting is a very dangerous activity!

I'd quibble with the wording of the options a bit. I don't think it has a lot of bugs, but it absolutely has some. If there was an option between flawless and a lot of bugs, I'd probably have chose that one. Also in certain situations, like residential neighborhoods with no lane markings, it doesn't work at all. Is that a bug or a feature?

I'd quibble with the wording of the options a bit. I don't think it has a lot of bugs, but it absolutely has some. If there was an option between flawless and a lot of bugs, I'd probably have chose that one.

Good point, can't edit the poll (not that I know of?). You could vote for both if you wanted to.

Also in certain situations, like residential neighborhoods with no lane markings, it doesn't work at all. Is that a bug or a feature?

I wouldn't call that a bug or a feature. Residential neighborhoods are not the intended use case.

Sure, the occasional bug. But as has already been noted it is in beta, after all. I've gotten so used to using it that sometimes when I forget to engage it I wonder why I'm drifting out of the lane. :)

And absolutely terrific in stop and go.

It's great that it's learning not to take every exit.

Heck, it's great that it's able to learn.

I can only wonder what 7.1 will bring.

I'd quibble with the wording of the options a bit. I don't think it has a lot of bugs, but it absolutely has some. If there was an option between flawless and a lot of bugs, I'd probably have chose that one.

This is how I feel too ^^^.

I'd say that 98% of the time when I use AP as intended it works great (and maybe I push the "as intended" line a little bit). But there are occasions where it does odd things. Those times are enough to keep me on my toes - hands close to wheel, ready to take control if needed. FWIW - I use it all the time, love it, would choose a car based on availability of this type of functionality.

I'd quibble with the wording of the options a bit. I don't think it has a lot of bugs, but it absolutely has some. If there was an option between flawless and a lot of bugs, I'd probably have chose that one. Also in certain situations, like residential neighborhoods with no lane markings, it doesn't work at all. Is that a bug or a feature?

It's important to remember that this poll is a snapshot of a constantly evolving technology. Even without a firmware update, Tesla's Autopilot is getting smarter every day, and all the cars on the road benefit from that collective learning.

How did it do? That is on my list to try. I have so far disabled when it tried. The first time was going into a car wash! LMK!

Very well, much better than my pants. ;)

Two turning lanes, low speed, at one point it started to go into the neighboring lane, no car there, so I let it do its thing. Almost right away, it corrected itself and came back to follow the car. I guess if there lane markings, it wouldn't have done that.

It was from a dead stop (I was the 2nd car at the red light for the left turn)

I would never let it do it with other cars nearby or at higher speeds, I don't think it'll handle those situations.

I took our car to Tesla today for the seatbelt recall. 45 minutes to and 45 minutes back. First significant use of AP for me, I've used it in a very limited fashion previously.

I think it did a good job, albeit a little wandering and a little jerky going through some turns. It did try to exit left one time as we passed a Florida Turnpike Service Center.

I also lain had a car change into my lane in front of me, not quite cutting me off but close. AP reacted very aggressively and I took over quickly, a little too intrusive in that situation for sure. Easing off the speed would have been a better reaction.

On on the way home I found myself in a huge thunderstorm and the car did great. I think the car saw the lanes better than I could under those conditions.

Im still very much impressed and I think it only gets better from here.

20151121_003129.jpg
Two new AP comments
1. NJ turnpike, it had a hard time keeping the car in the lane center. It wasn't bouncing around perse, but it felt wobbly. It may have been windy, but it felt more AP related than wind related.

2. Goethals bridge, with the narrowest lanes I've ever driven anywhere, AP handled like a champ. I was very pleased. Sorry for the blurry photo, but for those of you who are not aware how narrow it is, the "toy car" mirrors are pretty much touching the lines on the IC