Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Saw 6 Model Xs in final inspection area on the factory tour today!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was at the factory tour and was pleasantly surprised to see 6 Model Xs in the area where they are doing final inspections. The colors were signature red, white, blue, black, titanium metallic. There might have been another color or a duplicate of a color. They were stunning! I wonder if these are more founder cars or signature cars.

I was at the factory tour and was pleasantly surprised to see 6 Model Xs in the area where they are doing final inspections. The colors were signature red, white, blue, black, titanium metallic. There might have been another color or a duplicate of a color. They were stunning! I wonder if these are more founder cars or signature cars.

"Damn it, there's a tour tomorrow! Quick, call the founders and get their Xs back!"

Thanks for letting us know. It would be really great to see some Signature deliveries. Even just a few so we know that production has actually begun (no, I don't count those first Founders' cars as the start of production).

The more interesting question was how many did you see on the line?

This looks like a standard static display of one of each color just like we saw at the reveal.

For what it is worth, according to my SC they should have MX available for test drives by Thanksgiving. The interesting part is that all the previous projections that I was given at the same SC/Store were that MX will be available there for the test drives by the end of the year. Tesla currently has 90 stores in US and 10 in Canada, so, at 2 MX per store, they will need 200 cars. These 6 might be part of the batch designated for the NA Stores.

I think this is the relevant NDA clause in Tesla's "Visitor's Agreement" (from Tesla Motors, Inc. – Visitor NDA (v20110714):

"1. Definitions. “Confidential Information” means any confidential information that may be disclosed to Visitor or observed by Visitor, whether marked confidential or not, and whether disclosed in tangible form or otherwise, which may include, without limitation, trade secrets, physical samples, financial, business, sales or technical information and materials, terms of agreements, negotiations or proposals, and other information and materials that are valuable to Tesla and not publicly known. “Confidential Information” shall also include confidential information of third parties that may be disclosed by Tesla to Visitor."
[Emphasis Added]

This looks like a standard static display of one of each color just like we saw at the reveal.

If so, there's no breach of the NDA since these vehicles are "publicly known" and thus do not come under the definition of "confidential information".

Even if they are not these vehicles, I don't see this information as being "valuable to Tesla" in any way.

We know that they are building Founders Model X, I don't think it's a secret that they are doing it at Fremont.

Agreed.

Last edited:
Again, that is not what I am talking about.
I have a secret I don't want let out. I 'must' share that secret with you.
Will I:
a) offer you a paper to quickly sign
b) slowly and elaborately explain to you that what you will be acquainted with is for you eyes only. And at the end, to put some weight to your obligations, you will have to sign a paper saying I can demand damages from you should you not respect what you have signed

So, if there is a NDA and it went as in option a) that is one lousy secret.

Again, that is not what I am talking about.
I have a secret I don't want let out. I 'must' share that secret with you.
Will I:
a) offer you a paper to quickly sign
b) slowly and elaborately explain to you that what you will be acquainted with is for you eyes only. And at the end, to put some weight to your obligations, you will have to sign a paper saying I can demand damages from you should you not respect what you have signed

So, if there is a NDA and it went as in option a) that is one lousy secret.
Agreed. I've signed many NDAs in the past for confidential press briefings from vendors in the CE space. If I signed an NDA at the factory tour on 9/30, then it was the stealthiest NDA I've ever signed. :) But A.) I was pretty tired as it was the morning after the launch party and my test ride number was pretty high (so I was there pretty late) and B.) my wife would probably say I'm not always the most attentive guy.

Also C., I was added to the tour last minute (day before) and was not picking up a car, so maybe they didn't have the "paperwork" on me?

Knowing what I know from following TMC (namely that no Sigs have been delivered yet, and therefore the X has only quasi-launched), I probably wouldn't have mentioned seeing Xs. But to play devil's advocate: remember that as far as Tesla has told the general public, the X launched nearly 2 months ago. Reporting that Tesla's factory is producing Xs should not be an NDA-protected secret.

Either it's fine to disclose and the X launched 2 months ago, or it's a secret and therefore the X hasn't launched. Can't really have it both ways.

There was no NDA when I did my factory tour the day after the X launch party, just a "no photos" rule. Unless I missed it...
In a few hours I will be taking my third factory tour since I picked up my S at the factory in Dec 2013. I've always had to sign an NDA. Pretty sure I will have to sign an NDA today, and pretty sure that everyone who takes the tour is required to sign an NDA.
I agree with @Canuck that it is okay for someone who has taken the tour to publicly state that they saw completed X's in the factory. Not a secret that Tesla is producing the X in the Fremont factory.