Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

From Inside Sales Rep: Latest News re: Signatures, Production Configuration, etc.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yesterday I emailed [email protected] to ask about "Chargergate" and whether or not we will have the option to upgrade Production X's to 72 amps (instead of 48) for faster destination charging.

I received a phone call this morning from the same Inside Sales Rep that contacted gordonbremer recently. They recognized their own email that I'd appended to mine, and got a laugh out of that. If any reservation holder would like contact info, please PM me.

This is what I learned from this this rep:

1. Tesla's #1 focus right now is ramping up production of the already-configured Model X Signatures.
  2. "There are a couple hundred Sig reservation holders that haven't configured at all."
  3. "Tesla is delaying Production configuration to give them a chance to do so."
  4. Tesla will be pushing out demo Model X's to the stores to give unconfigured Sig's a chance to check them out and configure if they wish.
  5. "Expect an update on when you will be able to configure your production Model X in late December." (I'm P83 so first batch)
  6. "Many people have called in wanting 72 amp charging. Signatures will be delivered with it as standard. There's been a lot of talk around the office about it, but no final Production decision yet. We hope that it will be offered on the Production model as an option as you described in your email."
If anyone has learned anything different (or the same) from another Tesla Inside Sales rep or other source, please post it.

The cordial Inside Sales rep provided their contact info and encouraged me to call to see if they can provide clarification whenever there is some rumor going around on the forums. They ended the call by thanking me for supporting Tesla.

If you're a production reservation holder and are interested in having the option to upgrade to a 72 amp charger, please email [email protected]! They appear to be listening to their future customers.

Thanks,

Russ

PS. They started the call by saying they verified my reservation (I provided my RN number) and "your deposit is good". (I hope so! It's been sitting in their bank since just after Noon on Feb. 10th, 2012! LOL)

Yesterday I emailed [email protected] to ask about "Chargergate" and whether or not we will have the option to upgrade Production X's to 72 amps (instead of 48) for faster destination charging.

I received a phone call this morning from the same Inside Sales Rep that contacted gordonbremer recently. They recognized their own email that I'd appended to mine, and got a laugh out of that. If any reservation holder would like contact info, please PM me.

This is what I learned from this this rep:

1. Tesla's #1 focus right now is ramping up production of the already-configured Model X Signatures.
  2. "There are a couple hundred Sig reservation holders that haven't configured at all."
  3. "Tesla is delaying Production configuration to give them a chance to do so."
  4. Tesla will be pushing out demo Model X's to the stores to give unconfigured Sig's a chance to check them out and configure if they wish.
  5. "Expect an update on when you will be able to configure your production Model X in late December." (I'm P83 so first batch)
  6. "Many people have called in wanting 72 amp charging. Signatures will be delivered with it as standard. There's been a lot of talk around the office about it, but no final Production decision yet. We hope that it will be offered on the Production model as an option as you described in your email."
If anyone has learned anything different (or the same) from another Tesla Inside Sales rep or other source, please post it.

The cordial Inside Sales rep provided their contact info and encouraged me to call to see if they can provide clarification whenever there is some rumor going around on the forums. They ended the call by thanking me for supporting Tesla.

If you're a production reservation holder and are interested in having the option to upgrade to a 72 amp charger, please email [email protected]! They appear to be listening to their future customers.

Thanks,

Russ

PS. They started the call by saying they verified my reservation (I provided my RN number) and "your deposit is good". (I hope so! It's been sitting in their bank since just after Noon on Feb. 10th, 2012! LOL)

Thanks. It is good to see that enough people contacted NASales from TMC and the TM forums to apparently affect the chargegate.

That's exciting news for me @engle - I'm one of those unconfigured Sig reservation holders. I've been assuming I wasn't going to get to see a Model X before going to a configure or fall back to production queue choice.

I think it's time to stop by my local store, and probably time to say hello to the NA Sales folks again sometime this week :)

@adiggs:

I note your post signature line says you have sufficient solar generation capability to fully charge your Model X with nine consecutive hours of sunshine.

My question is, does Portland get nine consecutive hours of sunshine?:tongue:

That's exciting news for me @engle - I'm one of those unconfigured Sig reservation holders. I've been assuming I wasn't going to get to see a Model X before going to a configure or fall back to production queue choice.

I think it's time to stop by my local store, and probably time to say hello to the NA Sales folks again sometime this week :)

Let us know if your local store sales staff knows anything about Model X. When I was last at the Fremont Factory Store in October, the store manager and staff still didn't know any details. Instead, he gave me a phone number and email address that was being used for Sig configuration questions, even thou I told him I'm early production - not Sig. It's to avoid any Osbourne effect I think, just like the successful referral program is being used to help keep the S order pipeline full.

I did ask a follow-up question about how long unconfigured Sig reservation holders will have until they will no longer be able to order a Signature model. I didn't get an answer to that. When I commented that I'm sure there were many Sig people that were unable to attend "The Reveal" held mid-week on the Left coast for one reason or another, the rep. agreed and said that's why it's important to send Model X's to the stores so they can see them.

I think that anyone who is on the fence about configuring their Sig Model X due to lack of information / complete specifications / access to an actual Model X to examine / etc. should email [email protected] and let them know they need to have the above. Email them your RN #, also, so they can look you up and verify your Signature reservation status.

Since Tesla is acting secretively like Apple, which IMHO is not wise because Apple sells $800 MSRP phones and these are ~$93K - ~$138K vehicles, what any particular Tesla rep. communicates is just one data point to me. Confirmation is needed, just like multiple sources in the journalism business...

PS. I had a random thought while driving my last ICE today...

Has anyone seen Sergei Brin's Founder Model X since his proxy picked it up on stage during "The Reveal"? If not, then the engineers at Alphabet's self-driving car project are probably dissecting and studying it. :biggrin:

Any further context on the statement that Tesla is delaying production orders so that the remaining 200 sigs can configure?

That is one of the more absurd things I've heard Tesla say, and there have been some really absurd things happening with the X over the past few years. Not doubting that they said it, just has to be more context to that quote.

When you are burning as much cash as they are each month there is no way you hold back revenue unless you can't deliver the product.

Any further context on the statement that Tesla is delaying production orders so that the remaining 200 sigs can configure?

That is one of the more absurd things I've heard Tesla say, and there have been some really absurd things happening with the X over the past few years. Not doubting that they said it, just has to be more context to that quote.

When you are burning as much cash as they are each month there is no way you hold back revenue unless you can't deliver the product.

They were separate statements. I first asked in my email to Tesla:

"Also, when can I expect to be invited to configure my Model X?

I reserved it on day 1: February 10, 2012."

The rep who called me said: "Expect an update on when you will be able to configure your production Model X in late December."

They added the information about a couple hundred Model S Signatures that haven't configured and the rest in my OP without my prompting or asking about it. I was driving my last ICE, so just focused on memorizing what they said and did not engage in further dialog and follow-ups to keep the rest of my brain on the road. I was still processing that I won't get to configure until the end of the year at the earliest, which is news, since before they said they "hoped" to invite all production reservationists to configure by the end of this year. Obviously, it's a very fluid situation over at TSLA in regards the X.

Pure Speculation: I think as long as the Model S is going full bore they aren't holding back any revenue. The new production line does both S and X on the same line, and they still have their original Model S line, too.

More Speculation: If they can't ramp up to produce all the Signature X's in the next 44 days until New Years, then they aren't holding anything back delaying start of configuration of Production X orders. In fact, by delaying Production X order configuration, they are buying time to introduce configuration of potential new options, such as a folding second row seat? (rumor alert)

They have 1200 N. American Sigs, so holding out for 200 means they still have to produce 1000 before or near the end of the year. Also, they seem to be producing sales cars for all of their stores, which is at least a couple hundred additional Model X's. If they can produce and deliver about 1000 Model X's in 2015, I think it will be considered a win at this point.

They have 1200 N. American Sigs, so holding out for 200 means they still have to produce 1000 before or near the end of the year. Also, they seem to be producing sales cars for all of their stores, which is at least a couple hundred additional Model X's. If they can produce and deliver about 1000 Model X's in 2015, I think it will be considered a win at this point.
If they can produce 100 it's a win.

I also spoke to 2 factory inside sales reps in response to my email and got no new info other than details about production configuration will be coming out "very soon". Query - is this better than just plain "soon" :)? Seriously, though, they seem to be responding to our emails. I would encourage everyone, particularly production res holders, to keep up the pressure in a polite but firm way by emailing [email protected]. They really do respond and seem to be listening.

(snip)

1. "There are a couple hundred Sig reservation holders that haven't configured at all."
  2. "Tesla is delaying Production configuration to give them a chance to do so.

I think that statement regarding total delaying production configuration is total BS. They are spinning the production configuration not being ready yet and blaming their customers for not configuring. The truth is options and pricing have not been finalized (just look at the 48amp vs 72amp changes that have happened in the past month or two).

Tesla finally gives some information that Reservation Holders have been requesting. The result, they are called BS and liars. Then speculation continues to the contrary on the reason with no justification.

I wonder why the silence. I wouldn't volunteer any info .... To the Inside sales guy that brought some info and clarity, your reward is being called a liar. Guess that ends this information channel.

Tesla finally gives some information that Reservation Holders have been requesting. The result, they are called BS and liars. Then speculation continues to the contrary on the reason with no justification.

I wonder why the silence. I wouldn't volunteer any info .... To the Inside sales guy that brought some info and clarity, your reward is being called a liar. Guess that ends this information channel.

Just calling it like it is. The fact is the "info and clarity" isn't really clear information at all. On September 29th it was "confirmed" that Model X would have a 72 amp charger. Late October it was "confirmed" that it would actually be a 48 amp charger. It was also said that the 48 amp charger was going to be standard because an option of faster charging was too confusing. Starting yesterday we have "confirmed" again that it is a 72 amp charger. Six weeks ago an email said production configuration would begin in a "few" weeks and they "hoped" all production reservations would be invited to configure by the end of the year. Now supposedly because a few hundred signature owners don't want to configure without seeing the car, production configuration is delayed.

If the information isn't rock solid then don't communicate it. The speculation continues because information has not been posted publicly and things change week to week. If Model X isn't ready, just tell us that it isn't ready.

I was at the reveal. Nothing Tesla said indicated the Charge Capability of the X. Nothing was released. The speculation was based on someone's picture of a Founder's series. So the 72 AMP may have been an Option for the Founders or possibly something for Elon's car. Thus the assumption continued. That was Elon's reward for allowing 1000 people to videos and photo his personal car. People saw something and expectation were set of what was standard. One Founder's had a center console. That was an option clearly to differentiate 6-seat Founders, which is not available to others.

I respect your right to an opinion.... but calling the Sales agent trying to gives some clarity to the Signature process (awaiting 200 more holders to configure) BS serves no purpose. To your point.... "if the information isn't rock solid" ... what is YOUR rock solid information on the Production Config not being ready??? The December config for Production holders is not new ... Tesla stated via a email weeks ago.

I was at the reveal. Nothing Tesla said indicated the Charge Capability of the X. Nothing was released. The speculation was based on someone's picture of a Founder's series. So the 72 AMP may have been an Option for the Founders or possibly something for Elon's car. Thus the assumption continued. That was Elon's reward for allowing 1000 people to videos and photo his personal car. People saw something and expectation were set of what was standard. One Founder's had a center console. That was an option clearly to differentiate 6-seat Founders, which is not available to others.

I respect your right to an opinion.... but calling the Sales agent trying to gives some clarity to the Signature process (awaiting 200 more holders to configure) BS serves no purpose. To your point.... "if the information isn't rock solid" ... what is YOUR rock solid information on the Production Config not being ready??? The December config for Production holders is not new ... Tesla stated via a email weeks ago.
It wasn't speculation. One of the Founders posted that his car came with 72A charger. Then Tesla sent an email to reservation holders explaining why 48A charging was good enough. Then there was pushback from reservation holders and now Tesla says Sigs will have 72A just like Founders did.

At ptsagcy's suggestion, I emailed Tesla. I got a call an hour or so later from what sounded like a relatively green employee. He indicated that all production reservation holders would be invited this year. He also indicated that since I am an early reservation holder (Nov 2012), my invite will come in days not weeks. I also asked about battery configuration options and he implied we will have more choice than the 90kWh pack. His creditability took a shot when he said this because everything I have heard and read, including tweets from Musk, I believe it will be many months before a lower priced pack is available. I hope I am wrong.