Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bay Area to Sedona, Az.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We are traveling in January. With charging, how long will it take? I'm trying to determine if I can do it in one day or I'll need a stopover. I'm assuming I'll need to carry chains. If I need to spend the night any recommendations would be appreciated.
Thanks

We are traveling in January. With charging, how long will it take? I'm trying to determine if I can do it in one day or I'll need a stopover. I'm assuming I'll need to carry chains. If I need to spend the night any recommendations would be appreciated.
Thanks
I travel between Napa and Tucson a couple of times a year. We do it in 2 easy days, stopping in Barstow for an overnight. You could do it in one day, but it would be a very long day.

Do a stopover!! To finish out my big road trip I went from Santa Cruz to Phoenix in one shot. Was not my intention when I started the day but I had been on the road 132 days, and was ready to sleep in my own bed so I just went for it! I went through LA at 11 at night so traffic was fine, but didn't get in till 6AM. Not ideal...keep your sanity and get a hotel... Did you want to drop into Sedona from the north or from the south?

I did a similar trip last June (2015) on a semi-emergency basis. My companion's 90-year old mother was unexpectedly admitted to the hospital and we cut short our vacation and headed for her home. We drove about 625 miles from Santa Rosa, CA to Las Vegas NV, leaving at 1:00 PM and arriving at 3:00 AM (14 hours). We had charged at Petuluma the previous day and left with about 85%. Charging stops were at Gilroy, Harris Ranch, Mohave, Barstow and Primm. Your trip to Sedona is about 165 miles farther, so I would recommend an overnight stop, probably in Barstow. Continue on I-40, charging at Needles, Kingman and Flagstaff. Your entire driving/charging time should be about 17 hours.

The only area that might require chains would be around Flagstaff, but if you are there mid-day, that would be unlikely.